Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default change calibers or a new press?

hey all,

I've been loading large primer 45 for my SS gun for over a year now. I shoot SS for steel challenge, USPSA, IDPA, etc. I have been using a Hornady LnL and I'm pretty happy with it, now that it's running right.

I will be running an M&P pro in 3 gun this season, and I'm debating loading for it. I want to shoot soft 9mm in 3 gun, steel, and general matches to save some money and not reload every 8 damn shots.

What I'm wondering, is do I buy a LnL conversion set or a new Lee press just set up in 9mm? Please don't say "switch to whatever other brand" I don't want to really mess it up. I was looking, and it seems I could get a conversion set of bushings, dies, shell plates, etc for the LNL for maybe $150, but could get a lee press that a few buddies already load on for $180. I am a bit tight on space, and just want the best for what I will be doing this year.

Honestly, Next year I plan on switching to Limited major, and will run that one gun in every event. Should I just shut up and buy light 9mm for the year, or is it worth it if I know I won't really be loading much 9mm after this year, anyway?

Thanks for the help,
    Steve

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: change calibers or a new press?

If you are planning on going limited why not buy a .40 and load down for steel and 3 gun? I find .40 loaded to minor recoils softer than 9mm does.

I guess to answer your question we need to know how long it takes to change calibers over on your press. I can switch mine in 60 seconds and I still find myself trying to load 1000 at a time so I don't have to so often.

If you end up loading 3 calibers or more the extra press should help in efficiency. It will also be worth more in resale than an extra conversion......

Lycanhas3pressesthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Beaver County)

I personally hate switching calibers. I load for multiple calibers on 3 different presses currently. Buying another press this week to help out. If you have the storage space I say go for it. I know it dosent take long to switch out but I find it more convenient to swap out 3 bolts on the table then primer trays and stuff to go from large to small and so forth. Also helps that I don't have to change my powder charge bar from caliber to caliber. Good luck in your choice.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

You can't count the cost of the dies since you would have to buy them either way. I'm guessing you have a LNL AP, shell plates are about $35 and the bushings are $25 for six at Midway. So it looks more like $60 to switch over to 9mm. If you count the dies it would be about $110. Changing calibers on my LNL only takes about 5 min, so it's not a big deal. If you got your press running good and you are used to it I would just buy the conversion. If not you might wind up spending more money on a slower press that you will have to mess with to get it working like the press you have now.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Lycanthrope, I would LOVE to buy the 2011 in 40 of my dreams, and load light for steel and whatnot. I just don't have the $2k I need to do it right at the moment. I picked up an M&P pro in 9mm for only $600 with 7 mags, added another $100 for holster and mag pouches, so I'm pretty much stuck I think for now.

I am saving my 40 brass already and have 5 gallons or so, and will be thinking about and building a dream 2011 as money and time progresses. As of now though, I want to shoot single stack in 45 since it's what I have and I'm pretty good at breaking down the stages.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
    Lycanthrope, I would LOVE to buy the 2011 in 40 of my dreams, and load light for steel and whatnot. I just don't have the $2k I need to do it right at the moment. I picked up an M&P pro in 9mm for only $600 with 7 mags, added another $100 for holster and mag pouches, so I'm pretty much stuck I think for now.

I am saving my 40 brass already and have 5 gallons or so, and will be thinking about and building a dream 2011 as money and time progresses. As of now though, I want to shoot single stack in 45 since it's what I have and I'm pretty good at breaking down the stages.
    Well selling the 1911 (gasp!) and shooting Production would put a nice down payment on a Limited gun......or sell both and buy a G35 with a magwell and two sets of mags (one set for Limited and one set for IDPA/Production) and a new press....

Lycanmuddyingthewaterthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.