Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default CC Store etiquette

Hey Guys/Gals,

Quick question, I've had my first pistol (sr9c) since october of last year but didnt get a CC license until january this year. I currently carry in a Fobus HK1 holster and am waiting for my Desantis sof-tuck to come in (ordered from Optics Planet) but would like a nicer OWB holster for when I want to be really comfortable. I plan on going to either Classic Pistol or Tanners one of these days to look at a few OWB holsters. My question, what's the proper etiquette when checking out holsters? If the holster can be removed from the package without damaging the package or the holster can I take it out to get a better look and feel of it? Can I draw my firearm to try it out on the holster?

Thanks

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: CC Store etiquette

Simplest answer... Ask the people at the store. Everyone is going to be different and have their own policies.

(Montgomery County)

Always ask the people working in the store. If the holster can be removed from the packaging without damaging it, your best bet is to ask them if they have your model of gun in stock and then ask if you can see if it fits in your desired holster of choice properly.

I would never, ever, ever unholster my gun in a store without asking.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ah0873 View Post
    Always ask the people working in the store. If the holster can be removed from the packaging without damaging it, your best bet is to ask them if they have your model of gun in stock and then ask if you can see if it fits in your desired holster of choice properly.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by ah0873 View Post
    I would never, ever, ever unholster my gun in a store without asking.
    +2

Currently if I was holster shopping. I would carry another firearm and take the one I want fitted in its factory box unloaded with the action open.

I understand that if you only have one firearm you cannot do this. I still cannot recommend upholstering a loaded firearm for any reason but to fire it, clean it or conduct dry fire exercises. All of these would be in a controlled environment (excluding defensive situations) and I don't consider a gun store to be controlled enough for me.

If you'r really worried and know someone else who carry's ask them to go with you.

(Montgomery County)

I've bought a few holsters and always asked the store employee. In each case I needed to show the gun was unloaded with a clear chamber before testing the holster. Twice they let me unload and then verified themselves, and twice they unloaded, then handed to me to verify.

(Bucks County)

Its what I thought but wanted to see what other people's opinion where and since I've never had to do it wanted make sure I did it right.

I would never ever unload a gun in a public place that wasn't a range. Take the gun with you unloaded and ask or see if they have your gun in stock and use one of the case guns. Just my opinion.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Jefferson County)

Ask the personnel at the store on how they would like to handle the situation.

They will likely require the gun to be unloaded, which you really should do outside or even before bringing it to the store's location. Fumbling around with the gun and loading/unloading the gun is the when most negligent discharges happen. And NO shopkeep wants that to happen in their establishment.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    I would never ever unload a gun in a public place that wasn't a range. Take the gun with you unloaded and ask or see if they have your gun in stock and use one of the case guns. Just my opinion.
    that's what i would do. bring it unloaded.
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum"

(Berks County)

I agree with the majority...when I NEED to take my carry weapon in for ANYTHING, it is unloaded, action open, locked with a gun lock, carried in its box or other non-attention grabbing packaging. There's nothing that says "I'm not a threat" like an unloaded, locked weapon.

Good luck with finding a holster...let us know how you make out.
    USAF 77-79, SAC, DMAFB, 390 MIMS, Titan II Crew Chief

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast