Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Safes: Cannon - Mesa - Liberty - Sentry

I find myself in the market for a safe. Not a room size mega, end of the world gunsafe nor a stick it in your pocket biometric handgun safe. Somewhere in between. Actually, I think what I need is what the marketeers call a personal or executive safe. The search has gone on via the Intranet for a week or so and my eyes are getting bloodshot. I have almost clicked the 'buy' button several times thinking my decision was made. There is always 'just one more' to consider that pops up on the screen.

This will be a handgun only safe with some jewelry and papers thrown in, but not the priority. A 24" height would be ideal as it would slip under the corner return (if that's what it's called) of my desk. Keeping small fingers off of my guns is the primary objective.

You will see by the title of this post I am not looking at high end safes. I'd like to keep the cost around $500 or less so my choices become more limited.

I had almost decided on the Mesa MBF2020 with combination lock. Issues here - they are not available until the end of March apparently because of a 'model year' change. The 2012 model will allegedly be Hammertone Gray. Sounds ugly, but not a show stopper. I then ran across a single review that said Mesa is a POS. Poor quality and finish. Too bad if true. The best price I can find is $519 from Surefire Gun Safes. Has anyone here actually owned or checked one out?

Putting that on the back shelf I then continued the search and the next finalist was the Sentry D880. It's $551 including tax and delivery from Lowe's. I'm comfortable dealing with Lowe's and am confident there would be no problem with returning it if any issues. It also has a combination lock which I prefer to electronic. This is a security safe, not a fire safe, but I'm OK with that. Do you have one or strongly considered this box?

Just this morning the Internet put three new candidates on my list. I don’t know how I missed them before, but I did. The following three appear to be out of the same factory, no doubt Chinesium, and do not appear on the manufacturer’s websites. Strange. They are the Cannon H4, Liberty LH08 and maybe the Cannon EV8. The H4 is $540 at Sam’s Club, the LH08 is $427 at Lowe’s and the EV8 taller and $679 at Costco. What do you know about these alternatives?

Sorry for the long post but my head is swimming. Inputs are very much welcomed!
    COTEP #447

(Centre County)

Default Re: Safes: Cannon - Mesa - Liberty - Sentry

They're all crap (take the door liner off and you'll see), and for that kind of quality (for keeping small fingers out) you should be able to get something for about $175-$300. Keep shopping.

(Bucks County)

I got the Liberty Centurion 12 that they stock in Lowes for $399 I believe. I used a coupon for 20% off from Harbor Freight and it came to $319 before tax. Then I got my buddies employee discount. I figure when I buy a house I will keep this in my bedroom and get a bigger and better safe that I will keep in another location that stores my whole collection. I also have a small sentry safe with a combination lock that is good for pistols.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Chester County)

How is it that a coupon from Harbor Freight works a Lowes?

I plan on getting something simple like this for my collection. You can probably get something like this from Stack-On for less than 500.00 but built much stronger, sturdier with some fire/water proof capabilities

(Northampton County)

Umm, Daedalus, quick question. Are you that guy that has something similar to that on your license plate?

That would be me... D8ALUS
    COTEP #447

(Lackawanna County)

I bought this on black Friday from Tractor supply for $549. I thought it was a good deal .. .

http://www.tractorsupply.com/winches...pacity-1043297

(Northampton County)

LOL, I saw you last week. I see nerd people!!!

Just joshing about the nerd part If I see you again on 78 I'll tap two short ones and give you the peace sign provided the traffic is safe.

Okey-dokey, Chief Thunder-Thud. I will be headed to Center Valley tomorrow morning then wetward ho to Cabela's to look at ... you guessed it ... safes.

Last weekend I saw they had a 'short' safe at $499. The place was too crowded to be able to really inspect it so I will try to find out what it is.

Great info on the safes guys - keep it coming!
    COTEP #447

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast