Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Reliability of Hi cap 1911s in 9mm?

Hi everyone.

I am interested in purchasing a Rock Island Armory Hi Capacity (17 rounds) 1911 in 9mm ( http://centerfiresystems.com/ac-ri1911-9mm-hctt.aspx ). However, I'd like to know if anyone is aware of any kind of reliability/feeding issues with 1911 pistols chambered for 9mm that are hi capacity?

I am not sure where but I think that I read something about how the 1911 is a design that shouldn't be messed with and that when people have messed with it by putting out "compact" versions or otherwise messing around with it that it has lead to reliability issues. I am not sure if that's true or not but I am specifically interested if anyone is aware of any issues with the Rock Island Armory hi capacity 1911 in 9mm.

Anyone have any insights or opinions?

If so, please share them.

Thanks.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Reliability of Hi cap 1911s in 9mm?

Sometimes you get what you pay for. I know that doesn't help much. But there are a lot of folks who think paying less than $1K for a 1911 is sacrilegious.

Personally I like 9mm and would love a 9mm 1911. Love the styling of a 1911 but love the larger capacity and lower recoil of a 9mm.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgbeav View Post
    Sometimes you get what you pay for. I know that doesn't help much. But there are a lot of folks who think paying less than $1K for a 1911 is sacrilegious.

Personally I like 9mm and would love a 9mm 1911. Love the styling of a 1911 but love the larger capacity and lower recoil of a 9mm.
    Most people review the 1911s put out by Rock Island Armory, in both 9mm and .45 quite highly. However, those reviews are typically not for the hi capacity version, for which I have not found any reviews, hence my question.

Anyone else care to take a stab at my inquiry?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by stud40111 View Post
    Hi everyone.

I am interested in purchasing a Rock Island Armory Hi Capacity (17 rounds) 1911 in 9mm ( http://centerfiresystems.com/ac-ri1911-9mm-hctt.aspx ). However, I'd like to know if anyone is aware of any kind of reliability/feeding issues with 1911 pistols chambered for 9mm that are hi capacity?

I am not sure where but I think that I read something about how the 1911 is a design that shouldn't be messed with and that when people have messed with it by putting out "compact" versions or otherwise messing around with it that it has lead to reliability issues. I am not sure if that's true or not but I am specifically interested if anyone is aware of any issues with the Rock Island Armory hi capacity 1911 in 9mm.

Anyone have any insights or opinions?

If so, please share them.

Thanks.
    It appears to be a Para Ordnance designed frame. If you buy one, I would no skimp on mags. I had several Paras. The 9 and 40's worked well, the 45's not so well. The mags a key, most of the problems are mag related. Personally, I would save your money and buy a proven design. I sold off all of my Para's and upgraded to STI/SVI's.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

I would not worry too much about a 9mm hi cap 1911. They are not new and if not kitchen table butchered should work fine.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by hzox221 View Post
    It appears to be a Para Ordnance designed frame. If you buy one, I would no skimp on mags. I had several Paras. The 9 and 40's worked well, the 45's not so well. The mags a key, most of the problems are mag related. Personally, I would save your money and buy a proven design. I sold off all of my Para's and upgraded to STI/SVI's.
    Rock Island is connected to, if not made by, Armscor in the Philippines.

They've been making hi-cap 1911's for several years now. I almost bought a 38Super hi-cap Armscor back when I was looking at my P99.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by hzox221 View Post
    .... The mags a key, most of the problems are mag related. ...
    Any specific mags that you'd recommend?

(Centre County)

I have RIA 9mm.
    I can't stop recommending them. Mine are great. and was $400 cheaper then my Springfield Loaded 1911 in 9mm, and there is nothing sspringfield can do better better then RIA can.

With that being said, my only complaint with it was that its magazine(checkmate mag) isn't up to the snafu.

I had to replace it with Metalform magazine made for a Springfield spec.

So while I have every bit of confidence on RIA 9mm, i;m not sure about widebody. I've known that RIA makes wide body, but I've never seen one or know of who have one.
    Who makes that Mag? Looks like ParaOrdnance design.

I'd suggest OP to post question here
    http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64
    RIA rep lurks there. and I'd imagin there are people who have first hand experience with wide body there as well...
    Last edited by Mity2; February 13th, 2012 at 01:31 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Westmoreland County)

Currently the three main designs for hicap 1911's

Tripp/McCormick: Used by STI, Infinity and SPS. This is the best design by far.
    BUL: Used by BUL,IMI and Wilson. It is a hybrid design that is between the Tripp/McCormick and the Para designs. It uses Para mags.
    Para: Used by Para Ordnance, Springfield and RIA. This is the oldest of the designs. They have never worked out the issues on the mags. STI made mags in their design that were cut to fit the Para mag release, they fixed the feed problems. PARA sued and STI stopped manufacturing them back in 2003.

If you are buying the RIA just for the range it should be fine. If you are buying it for competition save your money and buy a better design.

The price looks good until you start upgrading. The cost of buying a good quality barrel and having it fitted will be more than the initial cost. I have made the mistake of buying a cheap gun and modifying it. When all was said and done, the frame was the only thing original. Buying a factory built STI or having a truly custom built gun was about the same price.
    Last edited by hzox221; February 13th, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Butler County)

Get a Browning Hi-Power. The original hi-cap 9mm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast