Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Interarms/Rossi Puma 92 SRC .357

What do you all think of these rifles?

I just picked up a used, older model Rossi 92. It is the first of their 92 models, imported by Interarms. It has the Puma logo, a side ring, and sports a 20" barrel.

I like that it is very solidly made and has the longer 20" barrel. I'm not too upset about that fact that it doesn't have that cheesy safety on top of the receiver, either. This was kind of an impulse buy when I popped into Gettysburg Trading Post this past week. Keith there gave me an deal I couldn't refuse. It's growing on me and I might just keep her!

Here's some pics:

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Interarms/Rossi Puma 92 SRC .357

I've been looking at those and the Marlins. Worst I've heard that some had issues feeding 38's. From the reviews they were hit or miss. You either got a good one that worked great or they were crap out of the box. Runs some shells through it and if it it works enjoy. Grats.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Great choice. I just bought one in .44 mag. Giving it to the wife for Valentine's day.

If you're interested in slicking it up, check out Steve Young's site. He is a master when it comes to the Rossi 92. He can do an action job or you can buy his DVD and Rossi Action Kit and do the work yourself.

(Berks County)

I've got one just like it. (.38/357) I love it. Bought it when they first started showing up in the US. I load hot HOT .357s for it. Gotta separate those so you don't accidentally shoot them in your .357 revolver.

My only (and major) complaint? That stoopid Puma decoration on the side of the receiver.

My 38s feed just fine - although I don't recall ever cycling wadcutters through it.

Ray

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCopper View Post
    I'm not too upset about that fact that it doesn't have that cheesy safety on top of the receiver, either.
    Agreed! Love my 16 inch 44mag Rossi but shed a tear every time I see the effing safety!!

Nice find......
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Beaver County)

I recently purchased two new ones: a .45 and a .357. I had problems with both right out of the box. They look good on the outside, but the machine work on the internal components is of very poor quality. Maybe the older ones were better. I'd steer clear of any Rossi product.

I was able to get the .357 to function, but not the .45. I sent it back and they said it could not be repaired, because they didn't have the parts. Then they offered to replace it, but they didn't have any more of that model. They agreed to a refund. I'm still waiting. So now they have had my money and the rifle since last September. I have nothing.

Just venting...

(York County)

I have heard that about the newer models (machining being poor). Personally, I was really turned off by the flimsy safety atop the receiver on the ranch hand that I was interested in buying but quickly became disenchanted with upon handling one. Still, the Ranch Hand is a cool concept, and I'm sure they work. I just couldn't get past that flimsy part looking you right in the eye when holding it.

The model pictured at the top of this thread is very well made. I read that they are very accurate replicas of the original 92. Machining is good, lock up is very tight, and just overall has a nice fit and finish.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Hackman View Post
    I recently purchased two new ones: a .45 and a .357. I had problems with both right out of the box. They look good on the outside, but the machine work on the internal components is of very poor quality. Maybe the older ones were better. I'd steer clear of any Rossi product.

I was able to get the .357 to function, but not the .45. I sent it back and they said it could not be repaired, because they didn't have the parts. Then they offered to replace it, but they didn't have any more of that model. They agreed to a refund. I'm still waiting. So now they have had my money and the rifle since last September. I have nothing.

Just venting...
    Last edited by TwistedCopper; February 16th, 2012 at 05:38 PM.

(Beaver County)

Sounds like you got one of the "good old" ones. The guys that recommended Rossi to me also had older ones and were happy with them. They were quite surprised by my bad experience. They were also really surprised by the poor customer service.

In all fairness though, I'd have to say that after I got the .357 to function, it was fairly accurate (6" diameter group @ 100 yds). And it can be fun to shoot, but still not a rifle I'd recommend.

I hope yours works out for you.

(Philadelphia County)

nice, i have a shorter marlin in .357 that i love, though i don't shoot it enough

why does everyone hate the safety?

(Centre County)

Wink Re: Interarms/Rossi Puma 92 SRC .357

Quote Originally Posted by shrewd View Post

why does everyone hate the safety?
    My observations.....

It's stupid, like putting a safety on a revolver stupid. It fouls the "lines" of the guns and is stupid. Its difficult to reach and manipulate even with the hammer cocked, a stupid design. A lawyer put it there because, you know, if you cock the hammer and then need to let it down, your pulling the trigger which implies I can't even work my own gun and I'm stupid. The item to delete it, if I remember correctly, looks almost as bad as the safety. One more thing to break/go wrong on something I may need to defend myself against zombies or whitetails or whatever. Its just not needed and has been on the "fire" position since I bought it. If the gun wasn't so inexpensive when I got it and was something I was looking for, the safety aspect would have made me bounce and look elsewhere......
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast