Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Cleaning up an old Firestar?

First off, new member, first post!

I've recently come back to firearms after 15 years or so. Used to shoot .22's competitively in high school, as well as being a "range-rat" shooting rifles and pistols with my father. In my mid 20's, I just kinda stopped shooting. Don't ask why, as I'm not sure myself, but have recently gotten the bug back, so I got my LTCF, and am in the process of getting back on track. Though I used to be a pretty good shot, and know all about firearm safety, I'm coming back with the attitude that I'm starting at square one like a newbie.

So now to my dilemma....

I have an old .40 cal Firestar that has been severely neglected. It got put away, locked int the center drawer of one of my toolboxes, and there it sat for 15 odd years. Needless to say, she is in less than ideal condition, has some rusting in places, and needs an overall good cleaning. I know it will never be in 'like-new' condition, but what can I do so as not to be embarrassed by it's condition when I take it to the range to re-familiarize myself to shooting. This will be my primary carry piece, as it's the only handgun I own, and I can't afford to replace it at the moment.

Pics of it's current condition:

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Cleaning up an old Firestar?

Easton firearms refinishing.

(Bucks County)

If it were mine, I would strip it down, clean the barrel with brass brush. Lubricate all moving parts with gun oil, oil the slide. Disassemble the magazine(s) and clean/lubricate those as well. Surface rust won't affect function and since it's a firestorm, no one will care one way or another. It's not like it is a rare or collectable piece that has been neglected. Shoot it the live-long day. Oh, and welcome aboard.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Easton firearms refinishing.
    That's about a 5 hour drive from me...

Plus, I'd like to do it myself if I can.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    If it were mine, I would strip it down, clean the barrel with brass brush. Lubricate all moving parts with gun oil, oil the slide. Disassemble the magazine(s) and clean/lubricate those as well. Surface rust won't affect function and since it's a firestorm, no one will care one way or another. It's not like it is a rare or collectable piece that has been neglected. Shoot it the live-long day. Oh, and welcome aboard.
    Was planning on giving it a thorough cleaning. I understand it's just an old Firestar, and I'm OK with that, but I'd also like it to look as good as possible (without spending much money) for my own personal satisfaction. Let's call it a bit of personal pride... LOL

Thanks.

(Lancaster County)

Well you'd have to ship it lol He has aFirestar on his Web site if you want an idea how nice it could look.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Well you'd have to ship it lol He has aFirestar on his Web site if you want an idea how nice it could look.
    Wow, talk about a transformation! Though I kinda like the original "Starvel" finish on mine, I'd seriously consider that if I though the gun was worth the investment.

(Tioga County)

I'd start by stripping it down, removing any polymer parts (grips, etc.) and drop it in a bucket of parts cleaner, like Gunk or Safety-Kleen. After all the debris is softened, go after it with a fine stainless steel or brass brush to remove the rust spots. Give everything a good lube when assembling and go to town.

--Phil