Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default odd tv commercial about lung cancer?

Anybody see the TV commercial about a guy talking about the loss of His wife.. I understand the loss of a loved one.. but during the commercial the comment was "we never saw this coming" as in cancer after they said she smoked her entire life.. and they are blaming the cigarette companies.. I just dont understand.. even my dad who is 85(just the other day) gave up smoking back in the 50's due to being linked with cancer.. its not a surprise.
    My wife who is not real gun rights or anything.. but she compared it to those that try to get rid of legal guns then bitch when crime rates go up.. I was shocked she said it.. I just smiled and agreed.. I guess it is time to go get her a 380 for her to carry.. she likes the colt pocketlite..

Default Re: odd tv commercial about lung cancer?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Anybody see the TV commercial about a guy talking about the loss of His wife.. I understand the loss of a loved one.. but during the commercial the comment was "we never saw this coming" as in cancer after they said she smoked her entire life.. and they are blaming the cigarette companies.. I just dont understand.. even my dad who is 85(just the other day) gave up smoking back in the 50's due to being linked with cancer.. its not a surprise.
    My wife who is not real gun rights or anything.. but she compared it to those that try to get rid of legal guns then bitch when crime rates go up.. I was shocked she said it.. I just smiled and agreed.. I guess it is time to go get her a 380 for her to carry.. she likes the colt pocketlite..
    it all comes down to lack of accountability. "they" (anti-gun) want "someone" (2A owners) to blame for crime and death. they also want someone else to protect them(i.e cops) instead of protecting themselves. it is a sad world. people aren't taking responsibility for their actions or lack there of, blaming the media, music, games, gun owners, cigarettes company, etc. they just need to step up and stop blaming everyone and everything for their actions.

i've been trying to get my wife to the range with me. i've shown her how to operate and dry fire her .22 but she is afraid to have live rounds in it

edit: i use dumb dumb rounds for dry firing
    Last edited by TaurusPT140; February 11th, 2012 at 03:07 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Umm... This has what to do with concealed/open carry? Don't get me wrong, cancer sucks, but this isn't the appropriate place for this discussion.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    Umm... This has what to do with concealed/open carry? Don't get me wrong, cancer sucks, but this isn't the appropriate place for this discussion.
    You're right, I apologize.
    After I posted my reply I read the OP a second time and saw the disconnect and wondered what a lung cancer commercial has to do with someones wife not being totally pro-gun and him deciding that she needs a .380.
    I had enough time into the post that I decided to leave it instead of delete it.
    I focused on the wrong part of the content and didn't stay in line with the forum it was posted under.

OK, I read the OP a third time and got yet something else out of it.

I'll delete my previous post.
    Last edited by mauser; February 11th, 2012 at 03:40 AM.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Lehigh County)

I don't think you needed to do that, just that this thread needs to be moved. I did actually read your story, and appreciate your sharing. My present patient has inoperable spinal tumors. He wants to go shooting with me, but he can't go to an indoor range because of respiratory issues, and doesn't tolerate being outdoors for more than a few minutes.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    I don't think you needed to do that, just that this thread needs to be moved. I did actually read your story, and appreciate your sharing. My present patient has inoperable spinal tumors. He wants to go shooting with me, but he can't go to an indoor range because of respiratory issues, and doesn't tolerate being outdoors for more than a few minutes.
    Sure I did, I misinterpreted the gist of the OP and went off topic right away. I didn't want to steer the thread onto a subject that has absolutely nothing to do with the forum. I did save the text and will post it somewhere when the time is right. Someone in the Lounge is bound to start a thread about that commercial (or make reference to it in a related topic thread) and I'll post it there.

Back on topic.
    The connection is that people lay blame where it doesn't belong and fail to make the connections of cause and effect. It sounds like his wife is coming around and seeing his point about the connection between legally owned guns in the hands of responsible citizens and crime rates/personal safety. She may be ready to take the next step.
    Congrats to the OP for getting her this far in her understanding.

(Carbon County)

sorry,, did not elaborate well,, the commercial started a long conversation on responsibility.. she has shown some interest before but has now made the decision to go get her LTCF. We plan on going to the courthouse in the next week or two.. after 19 years together sometimes a commercial like this gets the conversations started..

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    sorry,, did not elaborate well,, the commercial started a long conversation on responsibility.. she has shown some interest before but has now made the decision to go get her LTCF. We plan on going to the courthouse in the next week or two.. after 19 years together sometimes a commercial like this gets the conversations started..
    Congratulations. Make sure she has proper training in regard to safety as well as sufficient trigger time to be completely comfortable with it. She'll also have to be aware of and comfortable with the fact that if she's in a bad situation she can stop it but it may mean making a decision to end someone's life. If she can't get comfortable with that thought she might be carrying something that an attacker could use against her. One of the worst things that can happen is to draw and not be able to pull the trigger. Once the attacker sees that she doesn't have the fortitude to do the deed he may be emboldened (or scared) enough to disarm her. It will only get worse from there.

(Delaware County)

Just wanted to point out for a lot of .22's dry firing is a bad idea. It could damage the firing pin.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Montgomery County)

Snap caps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast