Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: florida carry

(Chester County)

Default florida carry

ok, going to florida next month on vacation and plan on taking my sidearm with me, not 100% sure on how to package it for flight yet but i guess ill figure that out, also wondering what are the carry laws in florida i need to be worried about? bars? printing? oc/cc etc?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: florida carry

CC only. OC is illegal outside of one's place of abode..

Avoid printing as much as possible.

Bars, taverns, clubs are illegal due to primary purpose of serving alcohol.

Restaurants that serve alcohol are legal so long as you are not in the portion of the establishment that is primarily used to serve/dispense alcohol. Example: If they serve alcohol with food, but there is also a dedicated bar. You can be at the tables so long as there is a barrier wall or divider from the bar section. Ruby Tuesdays is a good example. They usually have a 3-4ft high mini-wall to separate the sections - you would be legal at the normal dining area.

Off-limits signs mean nothing, but like in PA - property rights prevail.

Schools, courthouses, police stations are off-limits.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

OC is illegal in FL. you cannot carry in:

bars;
    schools;
    sporting events;
    national forests; (though i seem to recall something about legislation to change that one, so check it out);
    etc.

see:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USOffLimitsA-M.pdf

and:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law...ate%29#Florida

and:

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/FLSL.pdf

(Jefferson County)

I'd like to add too... knives, swords, stunguns, batons and other weapons are covered by your LTCF while you are in FL.

You must have your license on your person too while armed with ANY type of weapon. Concealed Weapons(less than a firearm) without a license is a 1st degree Misdemeanor. Concealed Firearms w.out license is a 3rd degree Felony.

Glovebox carry w/out a permit/license is legal in a vehicle. So is a securely encased firearm that is NOT readily accessible. ...there must be one overt step to having the firearm in one's hand if you dont have a license. ....so keep that in mind if you rent a car and leave the firearm in it and your significant other takes the car.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Check with the specific airline you are flying with as to their procedure for checking a firearm and ammo.

I flew Airtran to Fla and US Airways back.

It was about an extra 10 min for the TSA guy to check me out.
    Airtran phonecall. they told me the locked pistol case and the ammo container could be in the same checked bag. When I got there, they told me the ammo (in factory boxes and in a separate closed container) had to be in different bags.

I packed my pistol and 3 empty mags in the pistol lockbox in my checked bag and 2 20 round boxes of Corbon in a metal box in my wifes checked bag.

I bought a Pelican 1120 case for my Kahr P9 but the center of mass gunvault that I bought for my car is thinner and more easily locked than the Pelican.
    http://www.center-of-mass.com/ This is a nice lockbox.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Flying Delta, they had no problem with my G22 locked in a Center of Mass Gun Safe with 3 mags FULL of ammo. It was in my checked bag with the gun safe's cable secured to the frame of the bag. Check your airline's website for their rules regarding firearms. Print the policy out and take it with you, in case they give you any problems.

The TSA only says the weapon must be unloaded and locked in a secure, hard-sided case.

You may be asked to open the gun case and show them that the weapon is unloaded.

As for the rules regarding carry in Florida, knight0334 covered it completely.

Have fun in the Sunshine State!