Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lycoming County)

Default Anybody know where I can get a reciever chromed??

First thing, I'm not a wanna be gansta rapper..

I just picked up a mini draco and i see they sell them chromed and i wondered how much it would be to chrome one.

Since this is pretty much a 'fun gun' for me I think they look pretty cool chromed.

Thanks.
    Last edited by CPratt; February 10th, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Anybody know where I can get a reciever chromed??

Since the barrel is attached to the trunnion and the trunnion is riveted to the receiver, I think the barrel and anything else permanently attached to the rcvr and barrel would also have to be chromed.

Then also remember that chrome is going to add some thickness to the rcvr and you may have to grind/polish/etc... some places to get it to go back together.
    You will have to plug the front sight hole or get it chromed. If you get it chromed, when you ever go to adjust it the chrome will crack and chip at the threads probably leaving the copper under it exposed.
    The gas port is another area where you could end up with a problem. I doubt it would get plugged, but it will get slightly smaller and could pose a gas problem.

Chroming at the factory before final assembly is one thing, doing it to an assembled AK is probably going to be a major PITA. I imagine they allow for the plating as far as fitting goes.

Just something to consider before going forward.

As for a chromer, google chrome plating in you area, I doubt you'll find a gunsmith doing it, but there should be some automotive platers that come up.

(Bucks County)

I have had a few things chromed by Mahovski's metal life- They are in Pa. somewhere, a google search will turn them up.

They can be hard to get in touch with at times but their work (for me ) was always satisfactory.

The thickness of the plating will not interfere with the tolerance of the parts, especially on an AK. They did several sets of AR internals for me a few years ago and their were no tolerance issues with them.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Lycoming County)

hey Chris, you should give these guys a shout.
    http://www.customizedcreationz.com/
    i have had some good dealings with them.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    I have had a few things chromed by Mahovski's metal life- They are in Pa. somewhere, a google search will turn them up.

They can be hard to get in touch with at times but their work (for me ) was always satisfactory.

The thickness of the plating will not interfere with the tolerance of the parts, especially on an AK. They did several sets of AR internals for me a few years ago and their were no tolerance issues with them.

I've only seen good work come out of that business, but they can be difficult to get ahold of. They are in Grand Valley, up in Warren County.

http://mahovskysmetalife.com/
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!