Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Somerset County)

Default Tactical long range scope?

I think if have the long range rifle figured out. (Savage 10FP CHOATE IN .308) I need some suggestions on what glass to compliment the rifle with. I want to get out to 500 meters.

(Luzerne County)

Default Budget?

If yes, I would go with a Super Sniper 10 x 42 from SWFA.

If no...... a Schmidt and Bender?
    I don't have a catchy phrase to put here!

(Bucks County)

Tight budget - The Super Sniper (~$350 with accessories)

Moderately tight - Zeiss Conquest (~$600)

Decent budget - Leupold Mk 4 LR/T - your choice of magnification ($1100-$1400)

Big Budget - S&B, Nightforce, etc. (Looking $1500 to $2K depending upon magnification and model)

Check out the Optics forum at http://www.snipershide.com for lots of discussion on this.

(Chester County)

I got a question for you guys. I am on a limited budget. As usual. I would like to know if the Leupold Vari XII (new models) are the equivalent of the old model leupold vari XIII. I am interested in a Vari XII 6-18 adj obj with target knobs. i will get dot or fine duplex. your help is appreciated.

I had a SS 10X scope...it was decent at $300, but I sold it for better glass. I have been buying the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14 mil-dot. The glass is clear and the knobs are better than the SS. I also like the Bushnell 10X scopes too...don't get me wrong...the SS scopes are alright, but the Bushnell and Nikon's are better IMO.

BTW the Nikon runs $240 dealer discount...in retail stores they normally charge $280. Look into the Nikons...you won't be disappointed.

I'm honestly not sure if the new VX II scopes are equivalent to the old VX III scopes, but I honestly wouldn't be that surprised. One of the major differences between those scopes is the glass and the available reticles. Since making better glass has gotten cheaper, and new ways of coating them, which affects how the light is transmitted, I wouldn't be surprised. But as I said before, I cannot verify this fact for sure. You could call the factory and speak to them about it, I've called them many times and they were very friendly. Their number is 1-800-538-7653 (leu-pold), and I"m sure they could tell you a bit more about it. Remember that all Leupold scopes are fine products, are Nikon and Bushnell, and that most differences you will see have to do with lowlight shooting. If this isn't something you would be doing alot of, a large objective lense, etc, isn't as big of a concern for ya. I love Leupold scopes, they've been very dependable and good to me, but aubie is correct, on a tight budget you will not be disappointed with a Nikon, actually even on a big budget, lol.

As a long distance shooter myself, I wouldn't recommend a target dot, or a fine duplex for long distance shooting. I personally prefer a mil-dot scope or something like the Horus H25 reticle. Leupold has been experimenting with putting the horus reticles in their scopes, but I know they're all custom jobs, and I don't know if they could put one in a VX II. Also realize that Leupold offers their mil-dot scopes in traditional round dots, or the new oval dots. I used to prefer round dots, but after getting used to the ovals, I really like them both. One reticle that I would recommend to you most, especially if you're looking at buying a Leupold VX II, is their new LR reticle. It is a reticle that is a modified duplex that has hold over points, and is offered in the VX II at no extra cost. I believe that if you specify caliber and bullet weight, then you can zero the gun at 200 yards and there are compensated HO points for 300-500 yards. Even if you change bullets, or prefer to zero at a different distance, you could still find the marks very handy. Hope that helps

The Horus is "too busy" for my liking...I want something simple because the more features and pieces you add to a product...the more likely something will break. This is one of the reasons why the military likes to use a fixed power scope....less moving parts...less risk of one of the componets breaking on you in the field.

Don't get me wrong...the Horus looks cool, but man it's just too much...plus you have to download software and junk.

Oh I definately agree with you that it's busy. When I first looked through that reticle it drove me nuts. Once I played with it a little it didn't bother me too much. There actually are the same amount of moving parts in the scope, it's merely a different reticle. There are also actually special ops teams, and some of government agencies who are experimenting with this reticle, that's where I first tried it out. The software is only necessary if you want to use their call up cards. It's interesting because you can put in your load, weight of bullet, and fps; then it'll give you compensation points for various distances, which you can use for hold over, or "rezero". What is so neat about the system though, is that it will also compensate for barometric pressure, other bullet weights you haven't dialed in, and windage. Another big advantage is that they make spotting scopes now with the same reticle, which would allow the spotter to tell the shooter exactly how much to compensate, because they have the exact same grid. I agree though, it's a busy reticle, dang near drove me crazy at first. I just wanted to show some people some options they might never have seen before that are very effective for shooting at the 700-1000 meter distances that most people don't get to try out.

It seems to be a good concept....only time will tell if it will catch on or not. I haven't had to worry about a life or death situation, so for me I shall stick to the "old" style scopes. You have to love technology, but in the end...it's all about the shooter.

Yep, I agree, only time will tell if it'll catch on. I've never had to shoot in a life or death situation, but honestly whatever I could make the shot with is what I'd use, whether it was old style or new. I agree, it all ends up being what a shooter knows, has practiced with, and their skills.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast