Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Somerset County)

Default Ruger SR40c Guiderod question

I have purchased several aftermarket parts for my new Ruger SR40c from Galloway Precision through his website: http://www.gallowayprecision.com/sr9candsr40cparts.html
    I'm extremely happy with the trigger since installing the Ghost Rocket trigger kit. (I cannot praise this enough)

My question is about the Guiderod though.
    After putting 100 rounds through it, there is an indentation forming on the base of the Guiderod as illustrated in the photos below.
    Is that normal or should I be concerned?
    (PS, the photo's are very close macro and do seem to exaggerate the issue a little.)

Many thanks!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Ruger SR40c Guiderod question

Have you asked Galloway? Not being a smartass - I have the same pistol and was thinking about the same mods - so I would be interested in knowing what the factory answer is.

Looks like Galloway is using Cheap Metal, The Photographs actually allow you to see more than just using the Naked eye.

I'd contact Galloway and see what they say about it, Maybe they had a bad batch get out.

See if you can Email them these Photos, Looks like a New Guide Rod will be in order.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Somerset County)

I did ask him about it and his response was: "Some scratching is normal on the rod base, it if is bending the edge then check the old rod see if it is to." However, I have never used the original GuideRod, so it is not a good reference.

I then followed up with another e-mail that included the photo's 3 days ago, but I haven't heard back from him. He has been really great about responding quickly to my other questions, so I'm thinking that MAYBE my e-mail got stuck in a filter or something since it had images in it. I didn't want to keep pestering him since I have other pending transactions with him, especially until I due my due diligence. My plan is to put the original guiderod back in for 100 rounds and see how that looks in comparison.

Until I can get to that I was hoping for your opinions. I don't know what the base of an original guiderod should look like. What does yours look like?

Thanks for the responses.

Smokin,

I just took my SR9 apart and the Guide rod is smooth with No markings, Of course it's not a .40 cal, but it is the original plastic guide rod that came in the gun, all told it probably only has 600 rounds on it as I don't shoot it as much as I should.

But some of these guys with the SR40c will be chimming in I'm sure, other than the Guide rod, How do you like it? I've been wanting one, but can't justify it as I already have enough guns as is.

I hope Galloway stands behind their product cause from the pictures you posted, I'd say that's only going to get worst the more you shoot with it in the gun, For now I'd stick with the original that came with the gun until you get it sorted out.

Good Luck

TJB
    Recoil Happens

Sure it wasn't already there? It looks like tool marks or tooled that way, and it would take way more than 100 rounds to make an indent that pronounced.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Somerset County)

When I first got the Galloway guiderod, I'm 100% positive that it was completely flat and smooth. I could see the metal striations/grain like it was stamped out of thick sheetmetal. I put it into the new gun and put 104 rounds through it exactly. I did not modify the Guiderod in any way. The only tools that have touched it since it arrived has been my hand, a rag and a little oil.

FYI - it doesn't look like it's bending when looking at it from the underside. It only seems to be indenting the top surface. But if you say that you put 600 rounds through your original one without any markings, then I will definitely switch to the original Ruger one for further testing.

I'm wondering if the ones Galloway made were good for the 9mm but doesn't hold up with the .40.

You asked my opinion about the gun so here ya go:
    Everything else about the gun has been fantastic, especially now that I have put in the new Ghost rocket trigger-bar. It has not had a single jam. It came loaded with factory lube that I immediately cleaned throughout the entire gun. Especially the firing pin area since I read about all the troubles for those that didn't. I did take the mag disconnect safety out. I have the LCI replacement BLANK piece but I have not put it in. I actually like the LCI there (For now.)

The only other complaint I really have is the Crimson laser attachment for it. It is intermittent. (I did check the battery connections) However when I called the Crimson up - they didn't give me any hassle at all, they are sending a brand new unit out now with a return mailing container for the old one. (It's nice to not have to fight with a company for a change) I do however have another slight complaint about it. It is held in place primarily by the way it snaps around the trigger guard and it snugly rests in the slot under the barrel in the gun attachment rails. This let's it slip laterally if bumped. I don't like that.

I know this is an old thread but I will reply anyways. I have the same guide rod from Galloway and mine actually separated all the way around where you have the indentations. I contacted Galloway and they sent me a new one. I. Leaned my gun today after 200 rounds I think the same thing is going to happen again. I have been searching for other companies that make a aftermarket guide rod but am having little luck. I may just go back to the stock plastic one. I am starting to think I wasted $40. I might contact Galloway again.

(Somerset County)

Thanks for the info.
    I've just went back to the original myself and wrote it off as a bad investment.

Here is the picture of mine. It broke all the way around. I too will probably go back to the original.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast