Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Concerns about Monroeville PA

Stay away from jennette in westmoreland county, much worse than Monroeville.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    Greetings everyone. I am currently considering moving my family to Monroeville PA. We have two young children, and so the school district is a huge concern. We were fortunate to find a great house at a great price, and it is located so that our children will go to Ramsey Elementary School. It also has a great proximity to my job, and will shorten my daily commute. I've been told repeatedly that Ramsey is the best elementary school around, and a huge perk to buying locally. Unfortunately though, I also just learned that Cambridge Square (Public/Section 8 housing) children are now attending Ramsey due to recent redistricting. Do you guys think this will lead to the demise of Ramsey's top notch reputation? I'm already frustrated by the current property tax reassessment situation in Monroeville, and also am not crazy about Gateway school district. I guess I'm looking for any thoughts or advice from those of you with a knowledge of the area. Is Monroeville and Gateway school district still a good place to live and raise children?

-Thanks
    My neighbor recently retired as principal of one of the elementary schools there. If I see her I'll ask for her input. She's very much a right leaning conservative and I'm sure she'll have a lot of good to say about the "mingling" of which you speak. (not)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Got Ammo? View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Murrysville, but that would be an option too.
    Murrysville is nice, yes. But Franklin-Regional school district taxes ain't so cheap in comparism from what I have heard.
    LUKE 11:21 == Proverbs 29:2 = Proverbs 25:28

(Butler County)

Are you concerned for the kids education? Then go to a private school. You buy the whole package there. Pricey but you get what you pay for. Me, I left the flatland and live in the country. I kept the kids home with me and sent em later not earlier. Today they are all in the gifted program. Work for everyone? No, but worked for us. You only get one chance at raising them kids- please do it right!

(Allegheny County)

I grew up in Plum Boro and currently live in Plum. I would avoid Monroeville. I'm in the process of looking for a house myself and I'm looking into Westmoreland County.

(Westmoreland County)

Monroeville isn't a bad area. I wouldn't live there just because of Allegheny County taxes are out of sight. I moved to Murrysville 26 years ago and never looked back. Contrary to others opinions on here, the Franklin Regional Schools are excellent. My kids went thru them and one's in finance and the other is in Pharmacy right now. Taxes are MUCH better when you get out of Allegheny County. Nice community, low crime rate too.
    Captain

(Westmoreland County)

I lived in Monroeville in 2006 and 2007 and felt safe there... however the last few years it seems they have had some incidents (woman robbed at gunpoint in the mall parking lot in the middle of the day). That could happen anywhere, unfortunately.

(Allegheny County)

Hello,
    I am new here. Found you all from a google search. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Deauville Tiwnhomes community right of off Nirthern pike in Monroeville?
    Schools aren't an issue but safety is. I was informed section8 was not accepted there. It looks clean, friendly and pretty.
    But I have children so I am concerned.
    I really need some quick replies!
    I really appreciate any help and thank you in advance!
    Proud conversative in Pittsburgh!

(Allegheny County)

Your kids might not go to school with the section 8 kids now bit they will in junior and senior high when it realy matters. Stay away from places like Monroeville and Ross with huge retail areas....they draw in a ton of crime.

Where do u have to commute to? Might help guys give u options to consider. I'd rather drive a little further and live a better quality of life... also think about how the community will change over the next 20 years.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Right View Post
    Hello,
    I am new here. Found you all from a google search. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Deauville Tiwnhomes community right of off Nirthern pike in Monroeville?
    Schools aren't an issue but safety is. I was informed section8 was not accepted there. It looks clean, friendly and pretty.
    But I have children so I am concerned.
    I really need some quick replies!
    I really appreciate any help and thank you in advance!
    Proud conversative in Pittsburgh!

I think I know where you mean, but I don't know anything about that particular townhouse plan.

If you see "Cambridge Square", run the other way. It's an apartment complex not far from there. When listening to the police scanner, we hear calls for that place regularly.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast