Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Shipping pistol to manufacture for service?

Hope this is a suitable forum to post this question,

I need to ship a pistol to Glock, to have it repaired.

They said they couldn't advise as to what carrier to use and any specifics, so I was hoping someone here knew?

(If you know your stuff, you can skip my wandering questions below)

I heard FedEx has/had a rap for "losing" firearms?
    Also heard something to the effect that they need to be sent overnight, but that if mailed through an FFL they can go ups/fedex ground.

Looked at the couple cheap transfers in the pittsburgh area, and they charge $25 plus cost of postage to ship.. seems like the price savings cancel out.. Can I just send the gun out myself? Does it need to be returned to an FFL for pickup on the way back from the factory?

Thanks!

*ETA, I know this has to be covered already somewhere.. only results I get are related to sales and not owner to factory arrangements ..
    Last edited by geofri; February 9th, 2012 at 11:13 PM.

Default Re: Shipping pistol to manufacture for service?

I've always used Fed Ex. Never a problem, and they are always on time when they pick a firearm up at my home. I have left work a few times to meet a Fed Ex driver on my lunch break and never had time to get the mayo on my sandwich.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

My local funstore charged me $25 to ship my LCR to Ruger, receive it back from Ruger, and call me when it came in. His first question was if I had bought it from him. If I had, he would do it for free.

I figured if he shipped it, I wouldn't have to worry about Fed/UPS leaving it on my porch while nobody was home.

(Westmoreland County)

A non-licensee may ship a handgun through UPS or Fedex, no USPS allowed except for FFL's.

No worries of it getting left on your porch, you will definitely need to sign for it when it comes back repaired. No need to use a FFL it can go and come back to you.
    CDS ARMS.com - 'LIKE' Us - MG Rentals - Colt Defense AR-15 & Glock Certified Armorer

(Chester County)

I have used UPS a lot, no problems. Used Fedex once, also no issues.

I say use whatever carrier has a customer service center closer to you, you can't ship from a mailboxes or whatever. You have to let them know it is a gun. If it is to Glock you are ok without them seeing a copy of their FFL (if you ship to an FFL they don't know, they will ask to see a copy of the FFL). They will tell you it will have to go overnight, it is their policy. You do not need an FFL to ship a gun to a manufacturer for repair or to receive it back. When it comes back, you will have to be home to sign and accept it, or take the delivery notice and have it held at the Fedex/UPS shipping facility and go pick it up.

What's wrong with your Glock? Is it under warranty? Did you ask Glock to pay for your shipping?

(Mercer County)

I have used UPS & Fed Ex with no problems when I have shipped my firearms for warranty repair--Just insure the shit out of them and forget it.

I would check with the firearms enabler you bought the Glock from and see if he will box and ship it for free if you provide the shipping label (anytime I have had to ship for warranty work I've called the manufacturer and they sent me a prepaid label). It just good business and he's closer to me than the customer service centers for UPS/Fed Ex.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by csementuh View Post
    A non-licensee may ship a handgun through UPS or Fedex, no USPS allowed except for FFL's.

No worries of it getting left on your porch, you will definitely need to sign for it when it comes back repaired. No need to use a FFL it can go and come back to you.
    You shouldn't have an issue, but I did. I had a revolver shipped to my FFL, but the sender addressed it to his office address instead of the shop. It was dropped on his porch with no signature. I had to wait two more days to pick it up because he was closed the day after it was delivered.

(Montgomery County)

If you ship via FedEX or UPS, you have to send it next day air (their policy) which can be expensive. Your alternative is to ship it through your local FFL who can send it through cheaper transit times.

Sending it UPS or FedEx is no guarantee that it won't be left on your porch. Sent a S&W 624 back for a recall (on Smith's dime) and several weeks later came home to find it sitting on my front porch - no signature required. Just sayin'

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

geofri, if the gun is under warranty, call Glock directly. They should either send a call tag (they call UPS/FedEx and tell them where to pick it up), or they send you a shipping label that you stick on the box and deliver it to UPS/FedEx and they take it from there. Even if it is not under warranty, you may be able to get them to send the shipping label and have any costs added to your bill, it may be cheaper that way. Otherwise, pay your local gun shop to ship it USPS, it's a lot cheaper.

Do not forget to include in the box a letter from you stating what is wrong with the gun, who you talked to (if you remember) and YOUR return address. A gun going back to the manufacturer for repair can be returned directly to you without any paperwork needed (state or federal) no matter who shipped it to them. If you have it shipped back to your LGS, to be picked up there, then you will have to fill out and undergo the background check again.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast