Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Found 9mm - Federal LE Tactical & Winchester Ranger

web site SGAmmo.com , 9mm federal LE Tactical HST & Winchester Ranger SXT , has anyone purchased from them ? would like to get ammo , but not sure of legit co. any help , thanks

Default Re: Found 9mm - Federal LE Tactical & Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by shr8der1960 View Post
    web site SGAmmo.com , 9mm federal LE Tactical HST & Winchester Ranger SXT , has anyone purchased from them ? would like to get ammo , but not sure of legit co. any help , thanks
    SGAmmo is good to go. I've bought lots of ammo from them. They have great service, good prices, and reasonable shipping rates. Buy with confidence.

They are my main competitors in Ranger and Federal Tactical sales to the regular commercial market.

I can remember them being in business ten years ago so they are not a fly by night company.

The only thing to remember with the LE ammo is they sell a lot of factory seconds and contract over run ammo.

You need to know the exact product number of what you want to buy. This is especially true with Ranger products. If the product is a RA than you know it is top shelf. If it is a Q than it is contract ammo. If Z than RA or Q it is factory seconds.

Federal uses X on their contract ammo. Seconds are usually marked not for LE use. Speer also marks it this way.

(Delaware County)

I've ordered twice or three times from sgammo.

If I order over the weekend, the shipment usually comes on friday (I live 20 minutes outside philly).

Good prices, good ammo, fairly quick shipping.

(Adams County)

hotpig27-are the factory seconds safe to use ?

hotpig27-are the factory seconds safe to use ?
    Factory seconds are ammo that didn't meet spec somehow. That could be anything from the accuracy isn't quite there to a velocity that's a bit off to defective packaging or slight cosmetic imperfections. It's really not possible to know what exactly it was that caused the ammo to be sold as factory seconds. However, do you think a top flight company such as Federal/CCI (both owned by ATK), Remington, Winchester, etc. would intentionally sell ammunition which is so grossly defective as to be unsafe to use? If they were to do that, it would be all over the news, and there would be lawsuits flying everywhere. If any of the lots of factory seconds were sold and turned out to be defective enough to be dangerous, I'm sure there would be a publicly announced recall, just the same as for the top shelf ammo. Rest assured, the factory seconds are perfectly safe to use, and most likely you will never notice the difference.

y0rlik covered it pretty well. I prefer to not use it as my main ammo because the factory says it for whatever reason is not top shelf. I see it as a cheaper way to function test, target and have a SHTF stash.

My business does not sell it just to keep the confusion level down.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by y0rlik View Post
    However, do you think a top flight company such as Federal/CCI (both owned by ATK), Remington, Winchester, etc. would intentionally sell ammunition which is so grossly defective as to be unsafe to use?
    ATK, Winchester, and Federal have all done just that. I have a typical late 2000s case of XM855PD that I will sell to you, shipped, for $50 below the current market rate. When you open the can and see it, you will dump it out into the garbage. This went on for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    ATK, Winchester, and Federal have all done just that. I have a typical late 2000s case of XM855PD that I will sell to you, shipped, for $50 below the current market rate. When you open the can and see it, you will dump it out into the garbage. This went on for many years.
    Care to show pictures? I'm not saying it hasn't happened, and I personally haven't bought seconds because I haven't had a need to yet (I have bought contract over-run Federal HST's and surplus 7.62x51). If it's the case that all three major manufacturers have sold bad factory seconds, I would like to know about it. Another pertinent detail you left out is when exactly was this ammo made? You say late 2000's. That could be anytime from 2007-2010. If (as I suspect) the ammo were made in 2008 during the last scare, then they were trying to sell everything they could and everyone was buying everything they could regardless of quality.

We live in somewhat more rational times now, and I don't think that's currently happening. Everything I have read and seen advertised is that most of the current factory seconds are just fine. I also don't think people would put up with it right now. I would also like to think reputable retailers wouldn't sell junk even if the manufacturers would.

And if it's so bad you think I would toss it, why haven't you tossed it?

(Lancaster County)

I dont know about SGAmmo, but both Tactical HST and Ranger SXTs are sold by hotpig who commented above. I have bought from him and spoken with him on the phone, and MAHsupplies is a great company to deal with. Personally I would just fax him your ID and buy from him, he ships quickly and the product is good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast