Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Staudts Gun Shop, Harrisburg Pa

While the staff was very friendly during my visit's, I was not impressed with their pricing of the firearms, or finishing services.

If you want good service and don't mind paying extra for it, check them out. If you are a bargain hunter, and don't need your hand held when it comes to guns, look elsewhere.

That's my 2 cents on this place.
    Last edited by sigarms229; June 24th, 2013 at 11:43 AM.

(Dauphin County)

I've Frequented Staudts about a dozen times now for one thing or another. Bought an AR from them just after the CT shooting as the guns started flying off the shelves. The price was reasonable. I've also picked up some odds and ends here and there.

Joe Staudt is a stellar guy, very personable. The type of guy that recognizes you as a customer outside the shop around town. The other Joe, with the gnarly beard is also a great guy. Another employee, guy in his 40's I'd guess seems reasonable as well. As I waited for my obscenely long PICS check I listened to him walk a first time handgun buyer through start to finish, I thought he did a great job.

I have a couple problems with the shop though. I think their ammo prices are inflated, along with other odds and ends. New gun prices were higher than the big box stores and I'm not a fan of their FFL transfer prices. I watched them let one customer buy an entire case of P-Mags for 14 bucks a pop. I think it would have been better to serve 20 customers 5 mags a piece than serve one guy an entire case which he's going to sell privately for a profit while 19 other customers are left high an dry.

My biggest complaint would be one of their regular employees. I've at times felt that he was just down right rude with how he interacted with certain customers. he comes off to me as cocky, pompous if you will. I personally haven't been affected by this. It would only take once & I wouldn't return. But I can count 3 separate occasions where this had occurred with other customers as i overheard their conversation.

So, I will be going back, but will avoid one employee; the shop is worth giving a chance. It's well laid out, prices can be high but there's not harm in asking if they'll come down & for the most part, the customer service is great.

I am done with Staudts. The owner is ok but the employees leave a lot to be desired. I can't stand gun shops with employees behind the counter who assume they are the foremost knowledgeable experts on firearms and you don't know a thing. Besides speaking to you like your an idiot they have to do it loud enough that the guy in the back of the shop thinks so too. The local news channel has them on a lot for various reasons and their heads are getting a little too big. But the joy of being an American is the freedom of choice. I will simply chose another shop to spend my money.
    Last edited by wsd302; June 24th, 2013 at 11:34 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Would think the owner would care about this. If he knows?
    But It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

(York County)

I stopped in the other week to buy a Mosin I had seen the week earlier. I got the rifle for an ok price, no pics needed, I used my C&R and they knew how to sell a gun to someone using it.

I will stop in when in the area and will buy if they have something I need/want.

I've done a couple of transfers here, all in all there were very good transactions. I asked about one gun and Joe quoted me a very good price, but I had to save up the cash to buy it. I expected it would take me three months to save up but it turned five weeks later I was ready to buy. So I called them up to confirm the price. One of his employees quoted me a priced just below MSRP. When I finally got a hold of Joe, he didn't remember the conversation and that great price quote evaporated. Maybe it would have been better face to face, but it wasn't and it kind of rubbed me the wrong way. So I did exactly what they were gonna do - went on the Internet, got a great price, and transferred the gun to an FFL. Another FFL, by the way. I wanted to buy a gun through them, even though it would cost a little more, to give them business as well, but damn, they made it hard to do just that. Now I'm of the mindset that I'll buy it cheaper over the Internet and have it shipped to an FFL that still wants the business. It's a tough business model for these small gunshops, but I didn't create the market, I just have to spend my money in it.

Still, bottom line is I would shop there again when I get over my hurt feelings.

(Dauphin County)

I just recently starting shopping here after having an absolutely terrible experience at "Trops". I was extremely impressed by a number of things with this store. The staff was extremely friendly and definitely knew their stuff. Prices were decent. They offer class III and are knowledgable about it. They even teach reloading classes. I came in with my fiancee one day and they were equally as respectful to her as they were to me - something I've had serious issue with at other gun shops (just because she's a woman doesn't mean she can't shoot a better group than you - believe that).

They also offer a lot of gun smithing services that other shops don't. In the past I have had a hard time finding gunsmiths who would work on my revolvers. When I talked to the guy at Staudts (who's name I can not remember) he seemed completely confident that he would be able to work on my smith model 60/ smith model 629/ and ruger super redhawk. On top of that, they build custom 1911's, which is something you don't see at every LGS.

I also traded in a couple of guns and was down right stunned that they offered me exactly what I was looking to get out of them. That has never happened to me at a LGS. I believe they gave me a good deal on the trade in's due to how much money I had spent their the previous week, but that just means they take care of return customers. Staudts is by far one of the better shops I've been too. I appreciate a store that appreciates its customers and this is definitely one of those stores. Staudts exemplifies everything a good small business should and then some. I'll definitely be a return customer here for years to come.
    Vote Hillary for Prison 2016

(Dauphin County)

The gunsmithing prices are ridiculous. I was quoted $375.00 to ceracoat one color an old beater sxs and was told that it would likely be more as the action is difficult to work on. Then to take the barrels to 18.25" I was quoted 2 hours labor at $75.00 an hour. They must of thought I was stupid.

I had the barrels cut, trued and the center gap filled in 20 mins. A new bead installed in 10mins. I had the complete action stripped in 30mins (no clue what I was doing) and will have place in Easton complete the job. Numerous gunsmiths who have been in the business for 30+ years laughed when I told them Staudts prices. I put it back together just to make sure I could, and it was simple.

Transfer prices are crazy, you can have Lanco in Etown, or Acris in Mechanicsburg complete for half the cost.

The people seemed very nice however when I feel a shop is trying to make a killing off of people I just can't bring myself to do business with them.

(Dauphin County)

Kind of resurrecting an old thread, but if you live in the Harrisburg area and haven't been here, GO! Great shop, nice people.

(Dauphin County)

Just got my 686 back from Scott (one of the gunsmiths). Had him lighten up the trigger- breaks like glass now. He had it done in 4 hours. Now THATS what I call quick turn around.
    Vote Hillary for Prison 2016

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast