Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So I might have a real pickle here

I just read my local newspaper and saw that East Coast Gun Sales is supposedly going out of business. I have a silencer on hold there. And of course, I don't have my paperwork approved yet.

What the heck do I do now if they go out of business? Is my paperwork no good? Do I have to go and do this all over again at a different dealer?

I've never heard of this happening to anyone before.
    [account deactivated]

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: So I might have a real pickle here

I believe the shop owner will be allowed to complete your transaction upon approval from the ATF.

Even if they aren't in business? How would that work? What if they owner didnt want to?
    [account deactivated]

(Lawrence County)

just because he goes out of business, he will still have his FFL, so he could easily move his FFL to his house and do transfers from there... Go call him tomorrow morning and see what he says...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Allegheny County)

Much depends on what name is on the FFL and is it the store just closing or is he surrendering his FFL.

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/co...y.html?nav=742

There is the article. I have NO idea what is going on.

It should also be noted that this is a big store....as far as gun stores go. Also, I have NEVER seen the owner, despite shopping there for years. The manager is the one who handles the class 3 stuff. I have no idea how this is going to work and I've never heard of anything like it. Ive never heard of a story or have seen a thread where someone says "OK, I've started my paperwork for a NFA item, now the store isnt in business anymore, what do i do?"
    Last edited by Franky4Fingers; February 8th, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
    [account deactivated]

Well, I guess after several hundred views, no one really knows what happens. My guess is, IF your approved, that's all well and dandy, but if the place goes out of business, your SOL. You have to start all over again.

I tried calling down there and they aren't answering their phone. It says they are closed and they will re open today at 10 AM. Its currently after 1 PM. So they either really aren't open, or they aren't answering the phone because of all of the hype thats been going on.

I guess I'll have to try and get down there after work to try and talk with someone and see about a refund.
    [account deactivated]

(Westmoreland County)

Your title is kinda funny because there is a woman named Dana Pickles that works for the ATF NFA Branch. :lol:

OK, first, what paperwork have you done so far? 'On Hold' doesn't give me enough info.

Have you or the dealer submitted an ATF Form 4 for the transfer with your prints, pics, and $200 transfer check? If so, how long ago did you submit the form, and has the ATF cashed your check yet?

If you simply have the can 'on hold' and the dealer simply took your money to order the can, then your entire problem rests with the dealer. So, stop stessing out about the ATF part, go to the store and demand your money back. If not paperwork has been filed with the ATF, and the dealer can no longer do business they own you your money. NFA stuff is 'non-refundable' usually, but in this case they're going out of business, so too bad on their end.

If you're into the Form 4 paperwork stage, then your best resolve is going to be to contact the ATF NFA Branch directly and ask their advice.

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
    National Firearms Act Branch
    244 Needy Road
    Martinsburg, West Virginia25405USA
    Voice (304) 616-4500

NFA forms are 'tax documents', so only you or the dealer are allowed to discuss this with the ATF. Give them the serial number of 'your' can and they can look up the process for you. In PA a silencer isn't a 'firearm', to the feds it is. Once the Form 4 is sent, processed, and approved the silencer is technically yours, but it still requires a ATF From 4473 (the standard gun paperwork booklet) to be filled out. It doesn't require a PICS check for an individual purchase however. The ATF will likely let the dealer do any sales/forms in process. If not they may allow another SOT paying ("Class 3") dealer to do the 'transfer' to you. Or, worst case scenario, they remove the NFA registration on the can, and you're left with nothing besides your money back from the dealer.

Please provide some additional information and we'll see how we can help further.
    Last edited by cds_arms; February 10th, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
    CDS ARMS.com - 'LIKE' Us - MG Rentals - Colt Defense AR-15 & Glock Certified Armorer

Thats actually a pretty funny name coincidence.

Anyway, you've actually just answered a lot of my questions, believe it or not. I still have to make that trip down there though to get my refund before they shut their doors.....or even see if they are truly going out of business for good, or if they're just moving.

Thank you very much, Sir..you've been a great help.

EDIT: I just drove over and it was bumper to bumper. All of their lot and neighboring lots were filled with cars. I couldn't even get in. I guess I'll try leaving a voice mail and maybe try to stop back over on a weekday morning....if they even stay open. I imagine if they clean the store out they aren't going to stay open however long they planned on it.
    Last edited by Franky4Fingers; February 10th, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
    [account deactivated]

Quote Originally Posted by csementuh View Post
    Your title is kinda funny because there is a woman named Dana Pickles that works for the ATF NFA Branch. :lol:
    Dana Pickles is a MALE employee of the BATF.

Just sayin'.
    NEVER TRUST A PRIVATE WITH A LOADED WEAPON OR AN OFFICER WITH A MAP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast