Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Default Re: SERPA HOLSTER QUESTION

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    If I understand you here... you owned a serpa and it worked and you liked it. THEN a bunch of people on the interwebs said it sucked and had a bunch of failings you hadn't encountered, and that concerned you enough to ditch it? I give you credit for clue #5 as that is direct personal experience that led you to not want to use the holster. I'm fine with that. The other four are just people telling you what you shouldn't have.

As for your weak hand drills, those are great training. And I'd be shocked if 1% of gun owners even considered trying them, let alone using them in a armed encounter. End of the day the vast majority of people dont carry guns even if they own them. Then out of that minority a vast majority don't do holster drills more than very occasionally. And out of THOSE people some of them work OH/WH. That's a real small audience.
    I can kinda see how that may have come across.

No, I didn't ditch it because of what people on the internet said. I ditched it because of what I talked about in training with it, as well as observing the quality of it.

The key to succeeding in life without adverse risk is to learn from the experience of others. That isn't necessarily just doing what other people tell you, it's creating what is called a "4000 year old mind" by learning from the experiences of others so that you don't have to learn the hard way as well.

If people who use the SERPA in aggressive manners have them falling apart, then I don't need to wait until mine falls apart to make the decision to ditch it.

Still, I decided to ditch the SERPA the first time I trained with it. From that point on, it was a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by JonEMTP View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. In fact, I'd say that they should be avoided by 95% of gun owners. Either because they won't practice with them enough, or they will want to use them harder than they will allow. If you're gonna drop down money for a holster, you should buy a REALLY good holster, not just a mediocre one. And if you aren't going to spend money for a good holster, then go ahead and trade in your gun for a Hi-Point, because why have a good gun and a crappy holster?

My brother "borrowed" my SERPA a few months back, and I honestly don't miss it.
    I don't consider it a mediocre holster. People should buy what they want based on their preferences. Not yours, or anyone else's. YMWV.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

I've said it a bizzilion times...Serpa's are not professional grade holsters and should not be used as such. I specifically speak on OC and Serpa. It's your life, you're gun so have at it but don't expect me to give you some cheese with your WHINE when the holster fails, or you shoot yourself or someone else using a less than stellar holster system. Might as well carry your gun in a bucket and call it a holster.

Bianchi
    Desantis
    Don Hume
    Uncle Mike's
    and all my all time favorite,
    SAFARILAND!

CL

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I can kinda see how that may have come across.

No, I didn't ditch it because of what people on the internet said. I ditched it because of what I talked about in training with it, as well as observing the quality of it.

The key to succeeding in life without adverse risk is to learn from the experience of others. That isn't necessarily just doing what other people tell you, it's creating what is called a "4000 year old mind" by learning from the experiences of others so that you don't have to learn the hard way as well.

If people who use the SERPA in aggressive manners have them falling apart, then I don't need to wait until mine falls apart to make the decision to ditch it.

Still, I decided to ditch the SERPA the first time I trained with it. From that point on, it was a backup.

Fair enough, and I agree, people can use other's experiences to learn from but again, IMO, they are fine for most gun owners.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Fair enough, and I agree, people can use other's experiences to learn from but again, IMO, they are fine for most gun owners.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the discussion!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    I don't consider it a mediocre holster. People should buy what they want based on their preferences. Not yours, or anyone else's. YMWV.
    I somewhat disagree. I was in a guitar store once checking out a new guitar. The salesman asked if I was ready to buy it, and I said no, because I want to read some reviews online first. He said, "who cares what other people think of it, all that matters is that you like it!"

But what he failed to account for is the fact that maybe there are parts that wear out or break quickly, maybe the guitar won't stay in tune in adverse conditions, and maybe the resale value is next to nothing.

When buying anything, it's good to consider the opinions of others who have owned the product, and also your own opinion. There are some exceptions like art, music, and booze but that's about it.

Understood, thank you.

Add Kyle Defoor to this list. He just posted on his blog Sunday, here's an excerpt from it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Defoor on his blog
    Whoever chose this piece of shit to be issued to anyone- you're an inexperienced pistol shooter who has no common sense. Hope you got a decent kickback from Blackhawk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    Larry Vickers: Serpas banned from training courses
    source: http://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.ph...&postcount=112

Gunsite: Serpas not officially banned, but not recommended
    source: Cory Trapp of Gunsite
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=2714778

ToddG/Pistol Training: Serpas banned as of this year (2012)
    Source: http://pistol-training.com/archives/5361

Banned from Training with BRTC
    http://www.brtc-mission.com/

Pat Rogers has not yet banned them as he has too many .mil students that have them, but he strongly recommends against using them. Plus this was sent out from FLETC (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center) earlier this year.

If you do decide to go with a SERPA, best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Add Kyle Defoor to this list. He just posted on his blog Sunday, here's an excerpt from it:
    This Kyle guy is an idiot, as evidenced by his outright disparaging those who choose to use SERPAS.

I have been using them for nearly a decade, including in training "more serious than an NRA handgun course," and I've had thousandes of hoslterings and unholsterings without ever shooting myself or anyone else, and I've never had one fail on me..., and I'm an inexperienced shooter with no common sense?

Fuck him.
    Last edited by Justin///M; February 7th, 2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Oops I read it out of context. I see he is talking to whoever chose them to be issued. Still, doesn't change my mind about them. My personal statistics trump the alarmists. YMWV.

Justin

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast