Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Good 800 to 1,000 yard scope

What is a good 800 to maybe 1,000 yard scope for around $1,000 + or - 20%.

It will be going on a Panther Ar-10-.308 with a 24" bull barrel. I want a scope that will fit the rifle.

I have been searching and I'm at wits end with all the choices out there.

Thanks and any help would be appreciated.

We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. Winston Churchill........

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Good 800 to 1,000 yard scope

Millet 6-25 you cant hit what you cant see my other AR has a 6.5X 20 Leo in 204 cal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mugadutz; February 7th, 2012 at 09:59 AM.

(Beaver County)

There is lots of choices. What you should be looking for besides clarity is the amount of movement the scope has, ie drop and windage. Something with a 30mm tube is going to give you more than with a 1" tube. Some of your best advise can be found over on the bench rest forums. From what I found over there a scope with 60moa of travel in every direction is needed. If you don't purchase a scope with alot of travel you will need an angled scope base to make up the difference or the scope will bottom out of adjustment before you can zero it in. 10-20 MOA mounts seem to be the standard overthere.

Also you are going to get your clearest picture with a single magnification scope. I run a Leupold 4x14 for shooting out to 600 with my 30-06 and a Nightforce 5-22. The NF is a $1500 scope with the Lewy is about $800.

I still say research over the 6mmbr forums for better advise. The forum is dedicated to long range shooting while we only have a few here that do it.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Honestly, we need more information from you to really give you proper advice. There are lots of different ways, styles and approaches that people shoot 800-1,000 yards. It would be greatly beneficial to know what kind of shooting you intend to do at 800-1,000 yards. I don't know if you have a particular type of competition in mind, just plinking at those distances, etc. Lots of people don't realize this, but the size of the target, and the way you intend on engaging it can have pretty drastic effects on the scope choice. I mean do you want to shoot at a human silhouette style target? Do you want to shoot at BR target, something that's 6ft x 6ft or more?

The way that you engage these targets will also have an effect on what scope, magnification, focal plane, and reticle that you choose. Are you going to get sighters and be able to use a rest? Note a rest is different from a bipod. Do you intend on dialing the turrets, and then having to call your own misses? Are you going to even be able to see your misses on the target size you intend on shooting? Will you be doing rapid engagements? All of these things are important to know.

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    There is lots of choices. What you should be looking for besides clarity is the amount of movement the scope has, ie drop and windage. Something with a 30mm tube is going to give you more than with a 1" tube. Some of your best advise can be found over on the bench rest forums. From what I found over there a scope with 60moa of travel in every direction is needed. If you don't purchase a scope with alot of travel you will need an angled scope base to make up the difference or the scope will bottom out of adjustment before you can zero it in. 10-20 MOA mounts seem to be the standard overthere.

Also you are going to get your clearest picture with a single magnification scope. I run a Leupold 4x14 for shooting out to 600 with my 30-06 and a Nightforce 5-22. The NF is a $1500 scope with the Lewy is about $800.

I still say research over the 6mmbr forums for better advise. The forum is dedicated to long range shooting while we only have a few here that do it.
    This is sound advice, but I would also say that you should take what you read there with a grain of salt. I've learned a lot from Benchresters and Bench Rest forums, but it doesn't mean that it's the only way to get to 1,000 yards, or that you want exactly the same equipment that they're using. Bench Rest is a very particular type of shooting that is different from shooting in field conditions and from a bipod. They use a particular type of target, with different time limits, sighters, lots of times spotters, etc.

The truth is that Benchresters are trying to shoot the smallest groups that they can from a mechanical rest, and there's NOTHING wrong with that. What it means though, is that their setup may not necessarily translate well to your needs. Bench rest guys typically like Second Focal Plane scopes that would be considered VERY high magnification. Lots of them are trying to shoot some very small groups at 1,000 yards. It is not uncommon to see 36x, 40x, and sometimes even 60x scopes. These scopes by nature, don't have very much adjustment. They also tend to have narrow eye boxes. At those types of magnification, the only way that they're useable is to have them in a mechanical rest, otherwise you're going to be moving too much. Mirage is also going to kill you at those magnifications. Most of the time, it's also necessary to have a mirage band attached to your barrel to keep the heat mirage off the barrel from interfering with the sight picture through the scope. Because a lot of those guys are shooting from a machine rest with rifles that weigh 20 lbs or more, they can use certain techniques and positions that you probably can't get away with. It is not uncommon to see over 30moa bases on some of the rifles in BR. The scopes just don't have enough adjustment at 60x to dial on a ton of adjustment.

If you're doing some other type of shooting, having to spot for yourself, changing engagement distances quickly, etc.; then the scopes they use may not be exactly what you want. Lots of us tactical shooters prefer a different method all together. Some of us like to shoot scopes that have a maximum magnification range in the 16-25x range, First/Front Focal Plan, mil/mil setups. We tend to not want reticles quite as fine as the Benchrest crown. So honestly, before I tell you to go somewhere else, or what kind of scope you need, it would help to know what kind of shooting you intend to do. Because of the type of rifle you mention, I have an idea of what you want, and if that's the case then the 6mmbr guys information may only apply to you partially.

So any information you can give would help.

(Butler County)

Thanks for the reply's. More info follows.

I will be shooting for recreation only. No competition.

I will be checking for misses myself.

I will be shooting at 400 yards most of the time at the local range but would like to go to other ranges with longer yardage capabilities once in awhile.

I will be using an array of targets.

I will be using a bipod.

We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. Winston Churchill........

(Perry County)

I bought a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 this summer and it is a very good choice. Although this is a big scope (50mm Objective) it is mil-mil and that makes correcting for long shots easier than a scope with a mil dot ret. and moa turrets.

Quote Originally Posted by TTR View Post
    Thanks for the reply's. More info follows.

I will be shooting for recreation only. No competition.

I will be checking for misses myself.

I will be shooting at 400 yards most of the time at the local range but would like to go to other ranges with longer yardage capabilities once in awhile.

I will be using an array of targets.

I will be using a bipod.
    Thank you for the extra information, it does help. From what you've said, it sounds like scopes that a lot of the BR guys prefer, wouldn't be optimum for what you may want. I did have a few other questions for you before making any recommendations, or mentioning any scopes.

Is it possible that you will be using this scope for hunting? Is it possible that you will be using this scope at unknown distances, or varying distance engagements? Do you tend to dial to one magnification and leave it, or do you tend to shoot at several magnifications and vary depending on if you want a closer view, or need more light? Do you know what the highest and lowest magnifications you prefer?

I'm also curious if you've ever dialed elevation or windage onto a scope to shoot at ranges other than your zero? If you didn't dial on the correction, have you mostly held off to make a hit? When you purchase the new scope, do you intend on dialing your corrections, holding your corrections, or both?

The reason I ask some of of these questions is because it helps to know what magnification range you want to be in. It also helps to choose which reticle, since some scopes are only offered in particular reticles.

The other 2 big questions that I have for you is if you are familiar with the differences in FFP (First Focal Plane) scopes and SFP (Second Focal Plane) scopes? There is a big difference in the two, and having a preference in one or the other could also greatly limit your choices in scopes that will be in your price range, and that will fit your needs. The other thing to ask is do you want the turrets to match the reticle, as in moa/moa or mil/mil; or would you prefer something that has a milling reticle, but don't care about the turrets? Lots of us have our own opinions and preferences, and we'll be happy to offer our insight and reasoning behind why we like what we do. It's still nice to know if you have any experience in these things, and have a preference, or if you're open to suggestions and different things. Sorry to play 20 questions, but it really will help with picking out and suggesting the right scope for you.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Thank you for the extra information, it does help. From what you've said, it sounds like scopes that a lot of the BR guys prefer, wouldn't be optimum for what you may want. I did have a few other questions for you before making any recommendations, or mentioning any scopes.
    Thank you for the help. I appreciate it.

Is it possible that you will be using this scope for hunting? Is it possible that you will be using this scope at unknown distances, or varying distance engagements? Do you tend to dial to one magnification and leave it, or do you tend to shoot at several magnifications and vary depending on if you want a closer view, or need more light? Do you know what the highest and lowest magnifications you prefer?
    It is possible I could use this scope for hunting but I doubt it. So I would say No, I will not be using this scope for hunting. No need for thicker crosshairs for brush but illuminated retical's would be nice but not necessary. I would use various magnifications.

I'm also curious if you've ever dialed elevation or windage onto a scope to shoot at ranges other than your zero? If you didn't dial on the correction, have you mostly held off to make a hit? When you purchase the new scope, do you intend on dialing your corrections, holding your corrections, or both?

The reason I ask some of of these questions is because it helps to know what magnification range you want to be in. It also helps to choose which reticle, since some scopes are only offered in particular reticles.
    I tend to hold off to make a hit.

The other 2 big questions that I have for you is if you are familiar with the differences in FFP (First Focal Plane) scopes and SFP (Second Focal Plane) scopes? There is a big difference in the two, and having a preference in one or the other could also greatly limit your choices in scopes that will be in your price range, and that will fit your needs. The other thing to ask is do you want the turrets to match the reticle, as in moa/moa or mil/mil; or would you prefer something that has a milling reticle, but don't care about the turrets?
    Unfortunately I do not know the difference.

I think I would prefer mil/mil. If I am shooting at a golf ball i don't want the cross hairs covering it.

Lots of us have our own opinions and preferences, and we'll be happy to offer our insight and reasoning behind why we like what we do. It's still nice to know if you have any experience in these things, and have a preference, or if you're open to suggestions and different things. Sorry to play 20 questions, but it really will help with picking out and suggesting the right scope for you.
    Again thank you for your help Tomcat088.

(Centre County)

When I'm 91 I hope I'm still shooting long range. Hell I'll be happy to hit the toilet at 91.

A $1000 budget is workable. Good luck and enjoy.

(Butler County)

When I'm 91 I hope I'm still shooting long range. Hell I'll be happy to hit the toilet at 91.
    I can still shoot but the recoil of a .308 makes me fart.
    Last edited by TTR; February 10th, 2012 at 11:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast