Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 1911 sight change recommendations please

I have a Springfield loaded 1911 5' with the 3dot novaks. I'm thinking about changing them for easier shooting for friendly comps and for home defense.

I was thinking a rear sight like my kimber uc2 has and a front sight I'm less sure. For the rear sight any fav brands that would slip right in with minimal fitting? My current one lossens up and I'd have to lock tight it anyway so y not just change while I'm at it.

For the front I'm kicking around a gold bead, plain black, or tritium dot. Any recommendations to look at?

I saw http://stores.kensight.com/StoreFront.bok had some but I'm not sure yet. Thanks for any input.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 1911 sight change recommendations please

I am in love with Warren Tactical sights. I have them on my M&Ps and just ordered a set for my Sig 1911. I recommend them with plain backs and tritium fronts.

(Centre County)

If your saying you like the shape(slope wedge) on most Kimber, your out of Luck. Thats Kimber OEM proprietary design.

Meprolight, however, do makes set of night sight for SA Loaded sight cut.
    There are two part numbers, ML-11414, and ML-11413. One don't fit on loaded(Dont ask how I know), can't remeber which. I have to look it up on the pakage i have somewhere
    But I have it on my Springfield Loaded, and its very functional, and went in without much issue. POA and POI didn't change from OEM sight.
    Front pin didn't line up, however. But it was very snug fit without pin in place, and several thousands rounds later, it hasn't moved at all.
    As matter of fact, I think my shop did had to file the front tiny bit to get it to fit. But it was minor enough, that they didn't charge me anything...
    Wasn't very expensive either. I think I paid about $95 for a set from my dealer

Last edited by Mity2; February 7th, 2012 at 04:19 AM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Montgomery County)

I have the new Wilson Ultimate Speed sight on my Spec Ops and it makes for very quick front-sight acquisition. The U shape instead of a squared-off bottom of the rear sight really "directs" your eye up to the front sight. You have to try it to understand it. Wilson makes this rear sight for the 1911 as well. You would have to contact customer service to see if the sight will fit the slide-cut on your pistol.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Ultimate...oductinfo/590/

10-8 Performance makes a similar sight that has had a lot of great reviews and a lot of members over on the 1911 forum love it. I am almost positive they make one for your weapon.

http://www.10-8performance.com/produ...ear-Sight.html

I would get a slightly wider rear notch width for defensive purposes. Again, I would talk to customer service to figure out exactly what width best fits your needs.

I find the gold-bead to be a great all around front sight. Faster acquisition during the day......although fiber optic is best for me during the day. Good low-light acquisition but not as good as tritium. Good compromise sight. Make sure you get real gold........brass will tarnish.
    Last edited by Wilson Guy; February 7th, 2012 at 09:37 AM.

(Perry County)

I've got a Caspian/Foster slide/frame that my uncle sold to me and we are going to build a custom 1911. I'm trying to decide what sites I want on it and I am leaning towards the Novaks, probably with tritium (on the front site at least, not sure on the rear, but probably there as well).