Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: just had a WALMART encounter...

Quote Originally Posted by 350CI View Post
    manager walks up to me and says:

manager: so you don't have a permit to conceal?
    me: no
    manager: so your carrying illegally?
    manager: well if you wanna stay in this store you have to conceal that firearm.

So... He's advised you to do an illegal act?. He knows you don't have a "permit to conceal" but he wants you to conceal it if you want to stay?.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRider View Post
    So... He's advised you to do an illegal act?. He knows you don't have a "permit to conceal" but he wants you to conceal it if you want to stay?.
    No the carrier is responsible for knowing what is legal and would have to make that choice or leave.
    When firearms carriers chose to give store personnel a hard time it becomes easier for the stores to just put up a "no firearms" sign and end all discussion.

Treating the store personnel with respect,a polite discussion then if a compromise can't be reached complying would be the mature thing to do. Then follow up in a professional manner with upper management.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    No the carrier is responsible for knowing what is legal and would have to make that choice or leave.
    When firearms carriers chose to give store personnel a hard time it becomes easier for the stores to just put up a "no firearms" sign and end all discussion.

Treating the store personnel with respect,a polite discussion then if a compromise can't be reached complying would be the mature thing to do. Then follow up in a professional manner with upper management.
    Oh Snap!!. I didn't know you can read my mind .You figured out what's my next line. I kinda wait and see how someone will quoted me with their replies.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Well, the whole argumentative thing over terminology was going to do nothing but piss the guy off. Why wait until the "end" to "educate"?

Hey, we're all different, but pushing the manager's buttons is a good way to have a squad car waiting outside the door.

Sorry, but this forum isn't solely for patting each other on the back. I think the OP handled it poorly - not "OMG, you'll ruin it for everyone" poorly, but not as well as it could have been. Someone else though, may want to give him a high five. That's the way it goes here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post

I agree, it seems some of you OC guys are more into confrontation than actual education, as my wife says, you attract more bees with honey than with vinegar.

You guys really should try to realize people who don't carry aren't going to know the laws or terminology, hell I didn't know much before I came here. I guess I'll never understand the need to force feed people.

The guy asked a question that as manager of the store he had a right to ask, you knew the meaning of the question, why not just explain that yes you have a license and then tell him the difference between our license and what he thinks it is, in a nice way, not a condescending way. By being a smart ass, or smug, you don't leave a nice impression and maybe even a resentment.

The "face" you want to see as you leave is one of thanks for the info not the one of what a dick that guy was.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by donotknowme View Post
    It is possible that the OP has a LTCF but diid not have it on person at the time.
    But technically he would still be licensed to carry, even if he didn't have one at all, explaining things in a nice way goes a long way to smoothing over relations between us and the non carrying public.

Another thing to remember, here on the forum it may seem commonplace to carry, but I've lived here most of my 53 years and outside of cops I've never seen (or at least noticed) an OCer outside of an organized meet and greet.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by donotknowme View Post
    It is possible that the OP has a LTCF but diid not have it on person at the time.
    He did leave in a car.

Quote Originally Posted by 350CI View Post
    once i got to the car, i had to laugh after the stupid look on the managers face once i corrected him...

Regardless, not a good attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Chester County)

OP, i thought you handled that brilliantly. if you had given him a flyer at the end it would have been perfect.

maybe his embarassment will prevent him from bothering a different OCer in the future, and inspire him to self-educate so he doesnt look like an idiot if he does.

(Delaware County)

Or, alternatively, a smoother way...

manager: are you law enforcement?
    manager: in the state of pa you have to conceal
    me: Actually, sir, in the State of PA, unconcealed carry is largely unlegislated, and is perfectly legal. Furthermore, WalMart's official corporate policy is to abide by the laws of the state in which the store resides, so there's nothing for you to be concerned about here. Now where can I find toothpaste?

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    He did leave in a car.
    Maybe he was planning to "produce such license either at the time of arrest or at the preliminary hearing" which he was heading toward by flirting with defiant trespass for not covering or immediately leaving when instructed. (not that he was likely to get arrested for a potential licensure violation unless they picked him up while driving or something)

manager: well if you wanna stay in this store you have to conceal that fiream.

me: 1st off, pa does not issue conceal carry permits, the state issues license to carry firearms so i do not have to conceal and i don't need a pa state issued license to carry firearms to openly carry a firearm... I'm leaving; I'll call or send you and corporate a letter later.

[or alternatively:] There, it's covered for the moment. Now please let me explain that it's legal for me to have it uncovered, and I ask that you continue to allow me to patronize your establishment with it uncovered. If not, I'll be contacting corporate.
    OP was asked to leave the premises unless he did x. He didn't do x, and it sounds like he stood there arguing before he left (unless he called his parting words over his shoulder, or was walking with the manager toward the door at the time).
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by XACEX View Post
    OP, i thought you handled that brilliantly. if you had given him a flyer at the end it would have been perfect.

maybe his embarassment will prevent him from bothering a different OCer in the future, and inspire him to self-educate so he doesnt look like an idiot if he does.
    Or maybe his embarrassment will lead him to lump all firearm carriers into the "oh look, another smug asshole with a gun" basket. The amount of people here who expect store clerks/managers/general public to be as well-versed on 2A law as you are is laughable at best. However, I'm glad that the OP had a fleeting feeling of superiority after out-witting a Wal-Mart manager. You rock. No, really.
    Last edited by crlovel; February 6th, 2012 at 10:59 AM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast