Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default M1A gunsmith (Lancaster area)

I bought a M1A Socom used and the gun does not eject rounds. I have used several types of ammo and severely cleaned the gas piston. The operating rod/bolt charging handle don't even move when firing. However you can extract and feed ammo by working bolt manually. I think my problem is related to the gas piston etc. Does anyone know of a specialized gunsmith that works on M1A's in the Lancaster area?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: M1A gunsmith (Lancaster area)

If the action does not cycle, I would guess that the gas system is set to fire grenades. Turn the valve (looks like a screw head between the barrel and gas piston assy) to the normal position. If it is already set correctly then you may have a blocked gas port in the barrel or the piston may be seized from fouling or corrosion. The rifle is used and you may not know how it was cared for in its previous life. Dissassemble and clean thoroughly.

See this. Page 24 has a picture. You can't really see the valve in the picture but it will at least let you know its location. It is designed so that you can use the rim of a cartridge to turn it.

http://www.scribd.com/mobile/documen...edxscdofr9myo9

Good luck.

Stuart
    Last edited by flygrimm; February 6th, 2012 at 10:59 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Stuart,
    Thanks so much for your insight. I can't wait to apply your advice when I get home!

Between a rock and a hard place, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

I agree that it might be set for grenades. If the gas valve is correctly positioned then it might not be positioned correctly. The gas hole in the barrel, gas cylinder, and gas piston needs to be aligned correctly. I have an alignment gauge and I could possibly help you out. I am not a gunsmith per se but I do know my way around the m1a / m14 platform. If you are still stuck pm me. I am located next door in York county so I could take a look if you would like.

(Lancaster County)

Egon12, I might have to take you up on your offer. Thanks so much for your advice and possible use of your alignment tool. The grenade valve appears to be in the correct position for semi-auto firing. The slot in the screw head of the valve is perpendicular with the barrel. I pounded the gas piston out, chucked the d part in a drill and ran 220 evenly over the gas piston. I also filed out the gas piston chamber a litle bit. The piston finally moves freely in the housing. I will shoot it on Friday and see what happens!!!