Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who here owns a Ruger Mark III?

Reassembly is murderous! Finally got it back together, any tips? The directions are utterly useless for the novice!

Any tips or solid threads you recommend?

(York County)

Default Re: Who here owns a Ruger Mark III?

It gets better with practice, and a few thousand rounds will loosen things up for you.

Many people just spray them out and boresnake, and don't disassemble at all.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Bucks County)

here's the factory youtube video. I haven't even shot mine yet bet i did clean it, the hardest for me was the lever in the back of the handle it was catching the hammer lever(I think that's what it's called)

Watch the video and right around 30 sec that's what was causing me grief.

Hope this helps
    If You Need A Color In The Name Of Your Cause, You're The "RACIST" !

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    It gets better with practice, and a few thousand rounds will loosen things up for you.

Many people just spray them out and boresnake, and don't disassemble at all.
    It was not so much that pin on disassembly, I simply couldn't complete the last step as it was difficult to identify what needs to be where to successfully hook that rig into the lever.

Eventually it just happened after two hours and a couple of &^$!

Quote Originally Posted by 51158 View Post
    here's the factory youtube video. I haven't even shot mine yet bet i did clean it, the hardest for me was the lever in the back of the handle it was catching the hammer lever(I think that's what it's called)

Watch the video and right around 30 sec that's what was causing me grief.

Hope this helps
    Thanks You. I watch the official disassembly video, should have watch this one.

(Chester County)

Μολὼν λάβε

Thanks, pretty comprehensive.

(Chester County)

You're welcome. Have you got one of these yet? http://zaliznockindustries.com/outdoors.htm It's a must have accessory. I can load a magazine in about 5 seconds with it.
    Μολὼν λάβε

I have a couple of Ruger MKii/iii's. Typically I just run a boresnake or use an otis kit on them after firing and spray the inside with a cleaning agent. Maybe once a year or so I will fully disassemble it for cleaning, but certainly not after every shooting session.

(Bucks County)

Hi
    I have a mark 3 4.5 inch standard model. Basically same action as all the others, I believe. I would suggest the following
    1 go to the Ruger factory web site and carefully watch the two videos on the mark 2 disassembly and re-assembly.
    2 also put in ruger disassembly and re-assembly and watch a couple of videos on you tube. Some times they don't use the right terms, but they have some good practical ideas.
    3 get a short piece of 1/4 diameter dowel about 4-6 inches long and a rubber mallet or a rubber/plastic mallet. I was too cheap to get a $20 nice mallet and just got a cheap big rubber one.

I have used the mallet in combination with the dowel to get the main pin out easily.

the last time I had a real problem getting the main pin back in, and finally gave it a good wack with the mallet.
    Last thing is to pay close attention to the hammer position as you reassemble and also the position of the small piece (forgot the part name) that swings to the main pin assembly and has to be in the correct position to close it the final piece.

Hope this helps. The various video's are the best, watch them several times til it sinks in-I have to!
    BTW which model do you have?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast