Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Beginner Pistol Course in Pittsburgh Area?

I have a friend who knows I am an avid shooter, so asked me about handgun options for home defense. Upon asking the golden question of "how much experience do you have with firearms?" I got a reply of "absolutely none."

Soooooo, now I need to make sure she gets the requisite training before going on a wild goose hunt for a gun she never uses, or worse learns to use unsafely. Unfortunately I'm on the other end of the state, so I'm not knowledgeable about the training options in her area. Does anyone have any suggestions? She's on the South Side of Pittsburgh and she'll need an instructor who can offer the NRA Basic Pistol Course and a firearm rental for the duration of the course.

Like I said she's brand new, so I'd prefer a reasonably priced option. I know that you often get what you pay for with instructors but I don't want the price tag to scare away someone who is interested in getting into shooting.
    The Army was the biggest mistake I've ever been proud to make.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Beginner Pistol Course in Pittsburgh Area?

"She's on the South Side of Pittsburgh and she'll need an instructor who can offer the NRA Basic Pistol Course and a firearm rental for the duration of the course."

Both A&S Indoor Range in Youngwood and Anthony Arms Indoor Range in West Mifflin have basic NRA pistol classes and both have rental guns.

Collier Sportsman Association is having an NRA "Women on Target" Instructional Shooting Clinic on March 10.

Hope this helps, I am sure that there are other sportsmen clubs that offer NRA classes in the area also.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Beaver County)

Beaver Valley Rifle and Pistol Club offers NRA Basic Pistol and Personal Protection Inside the Home. Www.bvrpc.org

(Allegheny County)

Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club has NRA First Steps once a month (I think). They provide 22 pistols to use in the class, but its very basic.

Once she has a gun there are many other training opportunities in Pittsburgh. The FIRE Institute offers a high value 1 day handgun clinic. Beaver Valley has the Vicker's Shooting Method intro classes, and there are a whole lot of more involved courses if she gets into it.