Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default 2012 Survival Trial - shooting-oriented 24-hour adventure race beat-down!

I was watching Shooting Gallery the other night on TV, and found out about the most amazing event - the Survival Trial. It's a 24-hour adventure race held at the NRA Whittington Center in New Mexico, which includes:
    • Traveling 25+ miles on foot, packing a precision rifle, carbine, and handgun, among other gear,
    • Orienteering (navigating with map & compass),
    • Shooting challenges,
    • Physical challenges,
    • Navigating and shooting in the dark,
    • Extreme exhaustion & discomfort,
    • ?????

There's two events this year, May 5 & Sept. 29. It's done in teams of two, and the cost is $500 per team (plus gear, travel, etc.) I'm seriously considering doing the September event, and I'd need a partner. Anyone crazy enough to join me? I'd prefer someone from southwestern PA, so we could train together. Training would include many training hikes, , some in the dark, working up to 20+ miles with guns & gear, a few orienteering meets for navigational practice, some strength training during the week on our own, and ??

Full disclosure - in the last 5 years, I've done numerous trail races up to 50 mi in length, but I'm also 49 and have an arthritic knee. I might not be strong or fast, but I'm going to work hard to be prepared for this and expect my partner to do the same.

So what do yinz guys think? Any masochistic adventurers out there who think this would be fun?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: 2012 Survival Trial - shooting-oriented 24-hour adventure race beat-down!

whoa, that sounds awesome

i'd love to try something like this, but, not enough to fly out to NM.

if there was something like his within driving distance, i'd do it

Default Re: 2012 Survival Trial - shooting-oriented 24-hour adventure race beat-down!

Would love to do this, but there is no way in hell I can make it out to NM for it.

(Allegheny County)

sounds like fun and i drive out west pretty often .
    plus ive hiked, camped, done night shoots, i have 2 of
    the 3 guns, plus all the other gear.
    in great shape physically i do weight training
    and aerobics. no knee pain or back pain
    i have to travel out to vegas in march for a close quarter
    combat class. so i dont mind driving at all.
    I dislike the diamond commercials, give me something useful like guns, ammo or cookware.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Hobbit View Post
    Would love to do this, but there is no way in hell I can make it out to NM for it.
    ^ This. I would love to have the opportunity to do it, but the travel part kills it.

(Bucks County)

Damn I would love to do this...I might ask some friends and gather more info I'm a boss at oritenteering (did a lot for activities in college as part of my major actually ha), very fit, and decent behind the trigger I have never shot in the dark before..

Ashame I didn't know about this earlier to begin some training, the september one wouldn't be out of question and even though I just graduated and started my career I get paid vacation right away..

I have all the gear and weaponary...I will look more into this event and try and see if anyone has done such in the past and what to expect
    Last edited by Svickstc; January 29th, 2012 at 01:15 PM.

I did this for 23 years in the Army Infantry. Tell ya what, I'll come watch and support you guys....I usually carry a keg O beer in my horse trailer!

CL

(Montgomery County)

Customloaded is full of shit, if he spent 23 years as an 11B then this will be nothing! LOL. Hardly a road march for him!

Depending on timing I would be interested. I can shoot all three, but fail to see the tactical idea of carrying all three, but hey, its not my event.

Actually looks like a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Glock9mm; January 29th, 2012 at 09:38 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Looks like 3 days of pistol, carbine, and survival training, followed by a crazy competition. $250 a person seems very reasonable for that.

Now I just need to convince a lucky friend...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by usntu21 View Post
    Looks like 3 days of pistol, carbine, and survival training, followed by a crazy competition. $250 a person seems very reasonable for that.

Now I just need to convince a lucky friend...
    It really looks awesome! I think the additional training costs are much more though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast