Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Buying handgun problems

I couldn't figure out where else to post this so sorry if this is the wrong place but I hope someone can answer a couple questions for me.

I ordered a Sig sp2022 online and had it shipped to a gun shop near me. I can pick it up tomorrow as long as there's no problems with the background check.

I just read somewhere that parking tickets can cause you to be denied. Is that true? Legal? Anything I can do? I owe a couple parking tickets so do I have to wait until I can get them paid off?

Second, this is my first gun so Ive never had any experience and I recently moved from West Chester, PA to Philadelphia. My Drivers License says West Chester but I did a change of address to my new Philly address online. But I don't have any actual ID with the new address on it yet, and the gun store is in Bucks County. Is that a problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Buying handgun problems

Quote Originally Posted by 2sites View Post
    I couldn't figure out where else to post this so sorry if this is the wrong place but I hope someone can answer a couple questions for me.

I ordered a Sig sp2022 online and had it shipped to a gun shop near me. I can pick it up tomorrow as long as there's no problems with the background check.

I just read somewhere that parking tickets can cause you to be denied. Is that true? Legal? Anything I can do? I owe a couple parking tickets so do I have to wait until I can get them paid off?

Second, this is my first gun so Ive never had any experience and I recently moved from West Chester, PA to Philadelphia. My Drivers License says West Chester but I did a change of address to my new Philly address online. But I don't have any actual ID with the new address on it yet, and the gun store is in Bucks County. Is that a problem?

The parking tickets shouldn't be a problem.

The address thing is quite possibly a problem. Legally you have 10 or 15 days to update your drivers license/ID after moving. And you are required to put your proper address on the forms, and your ID's address is supposed to match it.

Thread moved.. This isn't about carrying, its about the legals of purchasing.
    Last edited by knight0334; February 4th, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Do you have the driver's license update card with your new address on it yet? If not, you won't be able to complete the transfer from the FFL.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for moving this to the correct section.

I've been waiting for a week or so and haven't received the temporary card or anything in the mail. So do I have to wait until the temporary card comes in, or do I have to go in and get an actual photo ID made at PennDot?

(Lycoming County)

i just bought a saiga 12, and my license was expired so the pics said they could not use it as a valid id. but they did allow the ffl to use my ltcf as a valid id.

Thanks for moving this to the correct section.

I've been waiting for a week or so and haven't received the temporary card or anything in the mail. So do I have to wait until the temporary card comes in, or do I have to go in and get an actual photo ID made at PennDot?
    You can use the yellow address update card that comes in the mail along with your driver's license. Bring both to the FFL with you.

(Centre County)

If you did the address update on line you should have been able to print out something that shows you did the change. Take that along with your license to the FFL and explain what you did. If you can prove you did the change of address, they shouldn't have a problem with doing the transfer.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Indiana County)

The dealer should not allow you to complete the sale if you do not have an update card.

I used to get people mad at me because they gave me their ID and it didn't match the address on the 4473. When questioned, I got: Oh I moved a while ago and didn't know I had to change my ID.
    Well, sorry, can't do it without an update card.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks everyone for the help.

I did print out the temp card online but at the gun shop they said the ATF recently announced that is no longer acceptable because basically anyone can photoshop that. Which is true so I cant complain.

However, when I got home I checked the mail and the yellow card from PennDot was in my mailbox. It must have came in Saturday and I missed it.

So I went back, and it all went smoothly. I'm very happy with this handgun, and thanks to everyone who helped with my questions.

(Lycoming County)

The identification document presented by the purchaser must have a photograph of the purchaser, as well as the purchaser’s name, address, and date of birth. The identification document must also have been issued by a governmental entity for the purpose of identification of individuals. An example of an acceptable identification document is a driver’s license.

[18 U.S.C. 922(t), 27 CFR 478.124]

The PICS operator also asks if the ID has the purchaser's signature on the card and the ID must be valid. The system is initiated with the PA Driver's License, so, naturally, that is the preferred identification for transactions. With the scrutiny on dealers, many won't accept anything else. I have used LTCF as a secondary identification with an expired license.