Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Springfield 1911 extractor?

A friend of mine is having a problem with his Springfield 1911 in 9mm. Its fairly new and still has a low round count through it. The problem he is having is that once or twice a mag, the fired case will not eject and the next round tries to chamber, jamming things up. Simply locking the slide back and dropping the mag out clears the rounds out, the fired case fall right out. It doesn't seem to be the mags since they work in other guns with no issues. I did a quick search online and came up with what may be an extractor problem with the Springfield 1911s. Anyone have any similar problem with their 1911? Just curious if this sounds like it could be an extractor problem and if replacing it would solve the problem.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

Default Re: Springfield 1911 extractor?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveIam View Post
    The problem he is having is that once or twice a mag, the fired case will not eject and the next round tries to chamber, jamming things up.
    If the empty case is out of the chamber and won't EJECT, obviously the extractor has done its job, so it isn't the problem.

(Erie County)

The tension of the extractor might be a little soft, allowing the case rim
    to slip off, then the chambering round jams it into the barrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

the fired case will not eject and the next round tries to chamber, jamming things up.
    Sounds like the slide is not going all the way to the rear. Tell him to get some hotter ammo and shoot it with a stiff wrist and grip. I have yet to shoot a 9mm 1911 that is anywhere near forgiving. After a few hundred cycles (he can do this by hand, as well) it should cycle better. I believe (JMO) that some of these 9mm 1911's are just a bit oversprung (recoil spring).
    Last edited by harold63; February 4th, 2012 at 09:12 PM. Reason: rephrased beginning of first sentence
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    If the empty case is out of the chamber and won't EJECT, obviously the extractor has done its job, so it isn't the problem.
    The fired case is still in the chamber. I had to call and double check with him on that.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Centre County)

Alright.
    So gun would fire, but spent shell remains in Chamber. Is this what happens?

I would check the tension on extractor. Here is simple how to.

http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENFoZPF2-FM

Now, if extractor pulls the case out of gun, but not ejecting the case out of gun, thats some other issue.

I would check(or have someone check) extractor tention first.

My Springfield 1911 9mm is one of my most trusted gun I have!
    Last edited by Mity2; February 4th, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

The fired case is still in the chamber.
    Get a 100 round box of WWB ammo at WM for about $23. This ammo is just this side of 1200 FPS with a 115gr bullet; plenty hot enough to completely cycle the slide with a stiff wrist and grip. The slide has to go all the way to the rear for the case to get extracted and then ejected, and it has to do it briskly. It can cause grief if it just barely makes it all the way to the rear in the way of spitting the cases down your shirt or just plopping them down on the table instead of out to the side and up like they are supposed to. No one likes to think they are shooting limp wristed, but with some 1911 9mm's, your wrist and grip has to be firm for a while until the thing loosens up, some.

Edit: Have him let someone shoot it that shoots a lot and see if they have trouble with it. SA isn't known for letting too many issues with extractors/ejectors escape them.
    Last edited by harold63; February 4th, 2012 at 10:41 PM.

Limp wristing won't cause failures to extract. (In fact, limp wristing is largely a myth, but that's a story for another day.) Your friend needs to have the extractor tension checked.

Limp wristing won't cause failures to extract. (In fact, limp wristing is largely a myth, but that's a story for another day.) Your friend needs to have the extractor tension checked.
    Wouldn't the spent case at least have to be extracted out of the chamber far enough that it falls out when the slide is racked (when he clears the malfunction)? I'm thinking if the extractor is jumping the rim, the case won't fall out of the chamber, plus, if it jumped the rim, is there enough there for the extractor to grab it again and pull it out when he clears the jam?

I can get my Taurus (PT 1911 9mm) to jam every time if I limp wrist it. With everything firm, it functions perfectly, but as you say, that has nothing to do with the extractor. On the contrary, the first PT 1911 I bought will cycle no matter how you hold it, but it is starting to slam a bit and it has the original recoil spring. Anyway, no more hijacking from me.

(Lawrence County)

I'd like to hear that story. PM is fine.

Lycanwha?thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast