Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Front sight adjustment on Marlin 25?

I have a glenfield marlin mod 25 and the front sight was moved when it was dropped. The sight has moved off center 1 - 2mm and I can't hit the broad side of a barn anymore with it. What is the best way to adjust the front sight without damaging the barrel? The front sight is dove tailed, no screws. Thank you for your help.

Default Re: Front sight adjustment on Marlin 25?

Quote Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
    I have a glenfield marlin mod 25 and the front sight was moved when it was dropped. The sight has moved off center 1 - 2mm and I can't hit the broad side of a barn anymore with it. What is the best way to adjust the front sight without damaging the barrel? The front sight is dove tailed, no screws. Thank you for your help.
    If dovetailed, it can only move transverse (side to side). The most common adjustment method I've seen is a brass punch and hammer.

Interesting, all the Marlin 25 front sights I've seen had a non-ferrous band that went around the barrel.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Delaware County)

Attached is a picture of the front sight.

I guess my next question would be, what is the best way to know that I have centered the front sight after using a brass punch and hammer without having to fire it a lot?

I was thinking about trying to use sewing string over the barrel to make an X and lining up the center of the post with that. Also, would a steel punch covered with a cloth be an ok substitue for a brass punch?
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Luzerne County)

Dont use a steel one unless you really dont care about dinging up the front sight. If you cant get a brass one use a small block of hardwood and hammer the sight over. The cross over the center of the barrel is a good idea.. but even visually you should be able to center it . AND You will have to shoot some shells through it to make sure it is right on..... Good luck....

... what is the best way to know that I have centered the front sight after using a brass punch and hammer without having to fire it a lot?
    Is there a witness punch or line on the rear sight & barrel? If not, you'll need to re-sight it in. You might be able to perform a crude bore sight by clamping it to a fixed object (example: table), note where the bore seems to point and then push the front sight until it indicates the same object. That might get you "on paper", but won't rip out the 10 ring on targets. You'll need to test fire it for that. Enjoy your time at the range, sounds like a fun project.

I was thinking about trying to use sewing string over the barrel to make an X and lining up the center of the post with that.
    Not sure what you're trying to do, it sounds like you're trying for find center? If so, read my comment (above).

Also, would a steel punch covered with a cloth be an ok substitue for a brass punch?
    It will work, but will create unnecessary cosmetic damage as schr8er2000 pointed out. If aesthetics aren't a concern, pound away.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html