Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: S&W 327

(Bucks County)

Default S&W 327

Can someone help me narrow down a revolver choice for me?
    I want a light revolver to concealed carry usage. Had great success in the past with Smith and Wesson.

I was looking at their model 327 in titanium. Does anyone own this gun?

Also, how does it compare to their 686 or 627? Basically all the same calibers in different variants.

I appreciate your comments.
    George

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: S&W 327

The 642 and 442 have been very popular lately.

(Lycoming County)

If it is mainly a cc revolver, I would consider the 327.

It weighs 13ozs. less then either of the others.

I have a 386 Airlite and I love it for carry.

Don't even notice it is there.

If it would be used at the range a lot, I would go with a heavier gun.

My 386 has a lot of recoil since it is so light.

Go to the LGS and have them give you a 686 or 627 and place it in you pocket for a moment.

This is what you would always be carrying around.

Carry one of those around a lot and you may start to list to your carry side!

Just some thoughts ...

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(Bucks County)

I would say yes, mostly used for concealed carry, but occasional use at the range.

(Lycoming County)

Then the 327 sounds good.

And even that you want to take to the range occasionally because you want to be familiar with your carry firearm so it feels natural in your hand and to shoot it.

So take it now and then to stay familiar with it but find another firearm or two to shoot at the range for fun.

And if finances allow, you may end up with two or even all three of those you mentioned!

And remember, you can't go wrong with a Smith!

This must be true - even the phone book is full of them.

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

Regardless of weight, the 327 is still a BIG gun. The 627 and 327 are N-framed guns - which was S&W's largest until the advent of the X-frame. The 627 is the all steel (SS) version, while the 327 is the lightweight variant.

The 686 is a move in the right direction (L-frame, which is a medium frame), but it is still far from small and probably just as heavy as the 627, given the full underlug barrel.

What I would suggest is the 386 Night Guard (still an L-frame). You get the scandium frame for weight. The short barrel for carry and a SS cylinder to add a little heft that mitigates recoil.

JMHO / HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the responses.. Pizza Bob, I will look into the 686 night guard.
    That sounds like a viable option for me as well.

(Montgomery County)

I own two model 327's, both with 5 inch barrels though and a model 386 Mountain Lite (think Night Guard, but with a titanium 7 shot cylinder and 3.1 inch barrel). The 327 PC (with the snub nosed barrel) is quite an awesome gun. Very light, very smooth and of very high quality.

I carry my 386 Mountain Lite on a regular basis and it checks in at about 21 ounces. It is a seven shooter and I have very light and spartan "hide out" grips on it,. It carries easily for a full sized gun. The down side is shooting it. Sure, it is chambered in .357 mag, yet I can say that I have never put a single round of .357 mag through it. The .38 special +P loads are stout enough for my hands. I typically stop at around 25 rounds or so when at the range practicing with that revolver.

One very important issue that has not been mentioned yet is the unseating of bullets due to recoil. I have found in my Mountain Lite that heavy weight +P bullets (like 158 grain FBI loads) will pull the bullet out quite significantly. My carry ammo for that revolver is a 110 grain +P .38 special Critical Defense load from Hornady and I have experienced absolutely zero unseating with that combination. The unseating takes place because of the low mass of the weapon (scandium alloy frame, titanium cylinder) allows for quick and violent recoil while the dense mass of the projectiles (that are not crimped well) will actually move the revolver away from the bullet, allowing the inertia to resist the recoil pulse. In short, the recoil pulls bullets from cases.

The best way to test for this is to load up you cylinder with your carry ammo and fire all but one of the rounds. Then pull the unfired cartdige out of the cylinder and compare it to a cartridge from the box. Judge accordingly.

I will be at Classic Pistol tomorrow morning doing some shooting. If you want to try out my light weight 386 Mountain Lite let me know. The Mountain Lite is relatively rare, yet similar to the ubiquitous 386 Night Guard. The major difference is that the night guard has a cylinder made of stainless steel and a slightly shorter barrel. I had my mountain lite tuned up by John Robinson, the gunsmith at Classic Pistol, he did an action job, chamfered the charge holes, bobbed the hammer and mounted an xs standard dot on the front sight ramp.

Send me a PM if interested. I am always up for showing another the glory of the wheel gun.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Bucks County)

Steve,

Thanks so much for your detailed post. Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow. Maybe next time?