Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default pocket pistol question?

Just wondering what everyone thinks about the ruger lcp and the taurus tcp. the taurus is a little over a hundred bucks cheaper, is it really worth it to spend the extra money on basically the same gun if i go with the ruger!!! I think the taurus's slide locks back when its emply also, i dont think the ruger does!!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: pocket pistol question?

I shot the Ruger, was decent. It depends on what's important to you whether its worth the extra $100. They are belly-guns. If you are looking for something to take to the range a cpl times a month, putting several hundred rounds down-range, then I would say neither.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rayval123 View Post
    Just wondering what everyone thinks about the ruger lcp and the taurus tcp. the taurus is a little over a hundred bucks cheaper, is it really worth it to spend the extra money on basically the same gun if i go with the ruger!!! I think the taurus's slide locks back when its emply also, i dont think the ruger does!!
    That depends on what you are comfortable with. I like that the slide locks back on the last round, but when I was pocket pistol shopping, I was scared away by some of the horror stories I read about Taurus. Some people love them, some people hate them. I choose to look elsewhere.

You might also want to consider looking at the Keltec line. I believe they are priced between the Taurus and Ruger models you are looking at.

When it came time for me to buy a pocket pistol, I went with a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard and have been very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    If you are looking for something to take to the range a cpl times a month, putting several hundred rounds down-range, then I would say neither.
    Especially considering the cost of .380. I think a box of 100 was in the neighborhood of $40 the last time I went looking at Walmart (Winchester White Box).

(Westmoreland County)

If you want 380 my vote is the LCP. It's a nice and proven reliable gun.

I don't trust the Taurus after having assorted problems with them over the years.

If you want 9mm but similar size and price, my vote is the Kel-Tec PF9.

I've seen the LC9 FTF and FTE many times in a row out of the box, and then happen many more times despite being fixed by Ruger.

The PF9 has the nicest double action trigger pull out of the bunch and carries well. It's a bit snappy to shoot though, so as said, I'd go elsewhere for a range gun you plan to shoot a lot.
    CDS ARMS.com - 'LIKE' Us - MG Rentals - Colt Defense AR-15 & Glock Certified Armorer

I can only speak of the Taurus. It is stiff when it is new. A lady was having trouble with hers, malfunction after malfunction, and asked the range master for help. He deferred her to me (as he usually does when someone has a Taurus issue) and after looking at it for a minute, it definitely was stiff. She said it was her second time out with it and the first time was the same way. All I did was put some lube on the frame rails and handrack it about a hundred times. After that I went through 3 full mags at a rate of about 2 shots per second. No mishaps, at all. It is not forgiving. It took a stiff grip to get it to work well, but it did work. The ammo she had was Winchester white box from WM. As with a lot of guns, it would probably function well after a couple hundred rounds went through it.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Monroe County)

my father in law has the lcp, i have the keltec p3at, and my dad has the taurus.

All shoot about the same and have had 0 issues. I was looking used when i bought mine because i knew that it would be a backup/seldom carried gun.

I would not hesitate to buy any ofthe 3 again, just go with what you like and fits your budget!

I guess you managed to miss the active thread called "Ruger LCP".

Here's a link:

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/16...-comments.html

The Taurus is a piece of junk IMO. The Ruger works great, but in stock form, it has sucky sights.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    The Taurus is a piece of junk IMO.
    I am curious as to why you say this and if you have had any experience with the Taurus.

(Indiana County)

Grices has the LCP on sale for $269, the laser model for $319.

The Taurus 738FS for $199 and the 738 stainless and blackened stainless w/2 mags for $239.

For the price difference, I'd go with the LCP, I carry mine every day and have never had a problem with it.

I've heard of pins breaking on the LCP and the Taurus has been all over the place with problems so neither seems to be a sure thing though.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    The Taurus is a piece of junk IMO. The Ruger works great, but in stock form, it has sucky sights.
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by xtcjpr13 View Post
    I am curious as to why you say this and if you have had any experience with the Taurus.
    Yup. Broke in my hand in less than 100rds. See the thread he linked for my rant. It has inherent design issues. Mainly with the last round bolt hold open. This is why this "feature" is not in the Kel Tec or Ruger. There simply isn't room in the tiny gun for it to be implemented the way Taurus does. That causes problems too.

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Grices has the LCP on sale for $269, the laser model for $319.

The Taurus 738FS for $199 and the 738 stainless and blackened stainless w/2 mags for $239.

For the price difference, I'd go with the LCP, I carry mine every day and have never had a problem with it.

I've heard of pins breaking on the LCP and the Taurus has been all over the place with problems so neither seems to be a sure thing though.
    ^^^ This. Get the LCP. If your pins break in your LCP Ruger will turn that shit around for $0 and go through the whole gun. Or you can buy them from Midway or Ruger for $2.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast