Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 conversion

(Westmoreland County)

Default 1911 conversion

dont know if its been asked but im pretty sure someone has, is it possible to get a 1911 9mm and convert it to 45 and 22, im looking at getting a 1911 and i cant decide which caliber to start with i plan on getting a 22 conversion for plinking and 9mm is so much cheaper than 45, but i still would like to get a 45 eventually, and if it is as simple as a new barrel and mag or even a whole slide assembly i think ill start with the 9 and go from there, save the money and still shoot and then get the conversions as i go. thanx for reading and if there is anmother thread about this please send me the link instead of posting the same info again and again

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: 1911 conversion

Well a .22 top end is easily a drop in type of modification. Several makers are doing this and my favorites are STI and Marvel.

You can't just change out the 9mm barrel to a .45 and vice versa. The breachface is different and the only guns that have that option are some SVI's. The mags, extractor and ejector are also different.....

So, you'd have to have a whole new top end fitted and that is NOT drop in like the .22 conversions. It would need to be fitted by a smith in most cases. By the time you paid for it you could have another STI Spartan or Taurus.

So...my recommendation is go .45....which is what you want.....and skip the 9mm for cost savings...use the .22 conversion. Most practice gains are found in dry fire and .22 shooting anyway.....no need for an intermediate caliber if you want a .45.

Lycanofftobedtthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Westmoreland County)

well i figured it would be expensive and that isnt really that big of a problem for me, i just like to have options i would probably skip out 45 rather than 9mm cuz of cap and expense plus i have a 92 in nie and a shooting buddy of mine has 9s as well and sometimes we buy ammo together so 9 is my first choice. nowif i was to get a slide assembly by the same company would that smooth things along???

by the way lycan hows the hipoint doing these days

(Allegheny County)

I know the ejectors are different but would a .45 ejector work on 9mm or would it be better to start with a 9mm and put a .45 slide on it?

(Westmoreland County)

ria is comnig out with a 22tcm 1911 that comes with a 9mm conversion kit and its a "widebody", says the 22 will fire at 2000 fps its some sort of minimag. its got me wondering could it buy a 22lr 1911 and get a 45 and 9 conversion kits, ria's 22s use thier regular frame so im looking into it

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Newbudby View Post
    well i figured it would be expensive and that isnt really that big of a problem for me, i just like to have options i would probably skip out 45 rather than 9mm cuz of cap and expense plus i have a 92 in nie and a shooting buddy of mine has 9s as well and sometimes we buy ammo together so 9 is my first choice. nowif i was to get a slide assembly by the same company would that smooth things along???

by the way lycan hows the hipoint doing these days
    Why not just get a Para or STI in 9mm with a .22 conversion? The double stack 9mm 1911's run well in 9mm and .40. For the cost and trouble (changing ejectors can be a pain.....it's not a fast job changing top ends) you're better off buying a second gun in .45. Two RIA's would be an option......

I don't think you can convert a .22 1911 easily to centerfire. Word on the net seems to say that converting a 9mm to .45 is easier than vice versa, but I'm certainly not the final word on that question.

The Hi-Poo is doing fine. I should blow the dust off her.

Lycangoodluckthrope

Sorry about thread jack, BUT I think this fits in with OPs question so....

Lycan:
    Say we go a different route:

1990 10MM Delta Elite GCNM conversion to 40cal. My understanding is I can get a 40 cal barrel and an 18lb Wolf spring and maybe have to make sure the barrel works with the bushing, I should be good to go (according to folks over at m1911.org). Cant get anyone to tell me about magazines though (10mm case is a bit longer than 40cal so makes me wonder). The delrin guide rod and the two-piece spring setup are the first things Im replacing though. I locked up that pistol good the first time I stripped it and put the two springs together incorrectly. I want to put a 22# wolf spring in its place

The price of 10MM ammo vs 40cal really makes me want to explore this option of going to 40cal. Got the pistol off of family, was the first pistol I ever shot and it'll be my first 1911.
    Last edited by spacemanvic; February 2nd, 2012 at 09:16 AM.
    Hold the Line...

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post
    Sorry about thread jack, BUT I think this fits in with OPs question so....

Lycan:
    Say we go a different route:

1990 10MM Delta Elite GCNM conversion to 40cal. My understanding is I can get a 40 cal barrel and an 18lb Wolf spring and maybe have to make sure the barrel works with the bushing, I should be good to go (according to folks over at m1911.org). Cant get anyone to tell me about magazines though (10mm case is a bit longer than 40cal so makes me wonder). The delrin guide rod and the two-piece spring setup are the first things Im replacing though. I locked up that pistol good the first time I stripped it and put the two springs together incorrectly. I want to put a 22# wolf spring in its place

The price of 10MM ammo vs 40cal really makes me want to explore this option of going to 40cal. Got the pistol off of family, was the first pistol I ever shot and it'll be my first 1911.
    Yes, you should just be able to replace the barrel and have it fitted. They rarely drop in. I believe the 10mm mags should work for .40. Worst case scenario you may need a spacer in the 10mm mags or load the .40 rounds long if you have the chamber throated with some extra freebore like a STI 2011.

Lycangottagoworkthrope

(Mercer County)

I was in the market for the advatage arms glock 27 conversion kit but there out of stock untill the end of summer, so im going with a lonewolf 40 to 9mm converion barrel, its only 99 bucks and I will just have to buy 2 g26 mags.

(Lawrence County)

Converting a Glock is drop in with those calibers and takes a couple minutes. The 1911 is a WHOLE other beast and it's nowhere near that easy.

Lycanwishitwasthrope

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast