Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SR9c

(Cumberland County)

Default Ruger SR9c

My mother wants to take some basic pistol classes and self defense shooting classes. I was thinking about getting her the ruger SR9c. Anybody out there that has one, I'd like to know how you like it. I'd like to get her a firearm with a safety and since she is left handed, the ambi safeties and mag release would do well for her. Thanks for your help.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Ruger SR9c

I bought an SR9c as my first self-defense gun. It felt good in my hand, and shot good. But it wasn't the most reliable gun. I had to send it back to Ruger when it started with light primer strikes. They fixed it by replacing a whole bunch of parts, including a new slide, but I sold it because I wanted a carry gun that I'd be 100% sure of.

So I bought an M&P9c, and I love it. It's 100% reliable. It has a reversible mag release, so it could be set up for your mom. No thumb safety, but if she's going to take some good classes, that training will make her safer than a silly thumb safety.

(Monroe County)

I do not own one but I have shot one. It was nice and appears from my limited use of it to be a nice firearm. I like the Ruger 95 more but It would be a good choice for someone if they liked it.

However, I would take your mom to a range and let her shoot a bunch of guns. You never know what she may choose after shooting a bunch and seeing the difference between a revolver or semi and also different styles like SA or DA/SA. The better a fit for her the more likely she is to keep practicing and becoming more proficient with her choice.

Of course she could have already and she choose the Ruger in which case disregard the above.

PS: Good job, you sound like a good son.

(Chester County)

It's a good in between size for a woman's first handgun. Small enough to be a good fit in a female hand but with enough mass to prevent the recoil "poppiness" of the smaller pocket nines.

As always, her input is more important than ours. Put one in her hand and ask her how it feels. I've had good experiences with Ruger handguns as far as reliablity goes.
    The Army was the biggest mistake I've ever been proud to make.

(Dauphin County)

I owned one of these and carried it for some time before transitioning to carrying a Browning HP and ultimately selling the SR9c to pay the bills (a very hard thing to do as I LOVED the gun.)

It was a fantastic an 100% reliable gun. If you can, get one of the newer production ones. They seem to have the kinks fixed whereas the older ones all seemed to have a tendency for problems.

Ruger in my experience has always been fantastic with fixing defective guns if you do get a lemon.

(Montgomery County)

It's a great first gun for all of the safety features and the ambi parts worked really well for me because I, too, am left-landed.

If you buy an SR9c that was manufactured in the last 12 months, and clean it really good before you shoot it, including the striker channel, you'll never have an issue. I have an SR9 AND and SR9c now, and I'd trust my life with both!

(Luzerne County)

I have shot one and liked the gun. Didn't buy the SR9c because I wanted a larger caliber, I bought the SR40c, but I think she would do well with it. With the Rugers I've had, they've been very reliable. And like everyone will say, she needs to try different guns to see what fits her and she can handled. And smaller doesn't always mean easier or more comfortable.

(Chester County)

" No thumb safety, but if she's going to take some good classes, that training will make her safer than a silly thumb safety."[/QUOTE]

I wonder if all the police officers whose lives were saved by a "silly safety" would agree with your comment.Since it's her first gun,now is the time to get her accustomed to engaging and disengaging a manual safety,kinda like learning to drive with a manual transmission,it will be second nature to her.I just bought the full size SR9 for my daughter as her first self defense gun and it's worked out well.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprint51 View Post
    I wonder if all the police officers whose lives were saved by a "silly safety" would agree with your comment.Since it's her first gun,now is the time to get her accustomed to engaging and disengaging a manual safety,kinda like learning to drive with a manual transmission,it will be second nature to her.I just bought the full size SR9 for my daughter as her first self defense gun and it's worked out well.

I also wonder how many police officers and citizens lives were saved when in the heat of the moment of a life threatening event, their adrenaline dump throwing their fine motor skills into the crapper, they were able to overcome an adversary because all they had to do was point and shoot. Striker fired and DA/SA firearms are widely used in the law enforcement community so while their may be no hard data on these numbers it would seem that many departments agree it is the way to go.

(Fulton County)

I have one and love it. It's very accurate and 100% reliable.
    I'm getting close to 800 rounds down the pipe and have not had 1 failure of any kind.
    I'd recommend it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast