Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default New Production K98's

So I was just reading "American Rifleman" and there was an article about Mitchell's Mausers and how all the surplus K98's have just about dried up. I personally find that hard to believe considering there were close to 15 million built, but back to the point. Don Mitchell said in an interview that he is working with his company and another company in Serbia to reproduce the K98 as it was during the war. The first prototypes have already been produced and the first one was donated to the National Firearms Museum. There will be no waffenamps or swastikas, the new markings are a serbian crest and a few other non exciting things.

The article goes on for a while about how "daunting" the task will be to reproduce the K98, even though the germans designed it as a simple rifle, ripe for mass production. Everyone should read the article, its interesting. What does everyone think? Will it "taint" the K98 market? Any guesses on price? With this rifle back in production, we can all bet that whats ever left of the surplus 8mm in the world, it will dry up faster than ever
    "All we have is a temporary bill of privileges" - George Carlin

(Perry County)

Default Re: New Production K98's

Been done before by other companies. They all tanked, more or less. Just my opinion but I think this will be another flash in the pan.
    Molon Labe

(Bucks County)

why would anyone buy a modern K98? to me it seems like a project destined to fail since most people buy K98's for their historical value rather than something to hunt or target shoot with. not that people can't or don't do those things with surplus K98's I just don't think target shooting/hunting is the primary purpose people buy them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    why would anyone buy a modern K98? to me it seems like a project destined to fail since most people buy K98's for their historical value rather than something to hunt or target shoot with. not that people can't or don't do those things with surplus K98's I just don't think target shooting/hunting is the primary purpose people buy them.

I agree, I do not see this being successful.

(Warren County)

I read the article also and I actually thought it wasn't a bad idea if they are reasonably priced. The guns I buy I buy because I like their look, design and I buy them with the intent to shoot them. Not for any collectors value. At past gun shows I've looked at and considered purchasing one but was turned off by the condition most were in. I understand the historical value associated with those guns and that fact alone attracts alot of buyers/collectors. But that's just not me.Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I like the idea. Will be curious as to what they retail for.

That's my 2 cents worth.
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Lycoming County)

I have a hard time seeing a lot of interest in a reproduction since there are still originals around.

With the old cap and ball pistols from the mid to late 1800s, well you know you will not find any of these.

At least none affordable by the common person.

So with these there is interest.

So, at this time I do not see this being a real prosperous venture regarding the K98.

Though there will be some that will purchase.

Just my thoughts ...

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

Yep, read that Article also, I thought I saw somewhere they'd be priced in the $700-$800 dollar range, But maybe I'm confusing that with something else.

Anyway I'm sure there's a Market out there and if Mitchell's was smart they'd offer them in more modern Calibers also, I have an Israeli K98 that was converted to 7.62x51 NATO, Ammo for that is a little easier to find, Anyhow if they can keep the cost down, I'm sure they will end up selling.

With that said though, I'm glad I have some originals and a few cases of 7.92x57mm

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Chester County)

I think they would have mild success. I know many people who want the K98 look, but without all the K98 character. Some people want brand new in the box shooters of historic rifles. I personally prefer my yugo capture K98
    "All we have is a temporary bill of privileges" - George Carlin

(Allegheny County)

Personally I think the idea is doomed from the start. First because Mitchell's already has a bad name in the industry because of their history of scrubbing and refinishing rifles and then selling them as something they arent. Second because you can already get an unissued Yugo M48 - which is virtually identical to a K98 - for $250 or less. I would think that anyone who wanted a K98-type Mauser would pay for a Russian capture or Yugo before buying new production. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by thebearpack; February 2nd, 2012 at 04:33 PM.

I agree, this seems like a pretty poor idea.

Not that I would every buy junk sold my the con artist Mitchell anyway.
    Repeal the 17th Amendment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast