Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default ftf rifle transfer.

I know there is no legal obligation for me to do anything. But if you were selling an AK, mags, and 1000 rounds wouldnt you feel some sort of responsability? How do I know Im not selling it to a prohibited person? Even if I didnt go to jail if the weapon was used in some sort of shooting, wouldnt I be civily liable? Wouldnt the cops kick my door in thinking I still owned the weapon since I bought it from a gun store? Im selling it to a member here, and I dont want to make them feel like i dont trust them, but it wieghs on me. The last time I transfered a gun I won at a gun show the gun store said there is no way for them to do a transfer of a rifle that they dont own.
    I want to make this deal, but I feel that it will stick in the back of my mind and bother me in the future.
    Of course Ill use a bill of sale and junk....but noone would see that until they break my door down thinking Im still the owner of the gun...Who knows what that could lead too...
    ASide from shipping the gun to an ffl, how do I protect myself from selling to a prohibited person?
    Or am I just worrying too much?
    If the buyer reads this, its nothing personal, thinking about this is just wearing on my nerves.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: ftf rifle transfer.

You're worrying yourself too much. If it makes you feel better, transfer it at an FFL.
    Truth is, you do open yourself up slightly to criminal prosecution if the buyer goes and acts unlawfully with it.
    Transferring at an FFL protects you since the FFL transferred it to him, not you.

Honestly though, think about it. If someone wants to commit a crime or do something bad they don't have to first be a felon.

A person with zero criminal history could pass every background check in the world, buy a gun from you through an FFL, pass PICS and NICS and drive home with nothing but law abiding thoughts in his head.

Then he walks in on his wife getting banged by a friend, loses it and shoots them.

Ask for a PA ID to prove residency and a LTCF if it makes you feel better. Other than that, you're fine.
    Last edited by BimmerJon; February 1st, 2012 at 10:31 AM.

(Blair County)

I did, they dont have a lctf.

(Lawrence County)

Not sure how you would open yourself up to criminal prosecution unless you knew or had reason to believe he was a prohibited person. Rifles and shotguns are sold ftf every day in PA. Of course there's no way to tell but I'd bet if you could go back over the years it's been done hundreds of thousands of times in this state alone. Has anyone ever heard of a seller being held responsible for something the buyer did with the firearm? I'm betting not.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    Not sure how you would open yourself up to criminal prosecution unless you knew or had reason to believe he was a prohibited person. Rifles and shotguns are sold ftf every day in PA. Of course there's no way to tell but I'd bet if you could go back over the years it's been done hundreds of thousands of times in this state alone. Has anyone ever heard of a seller being held responsible for something the buyer did with the firearm? I'm betting not.
    Apparently you can be held liable but gain some protection by using an FFL:

http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...ification.html

That said, I still haven't done it on any of the long guns I've sold FTF and I see no reason to start. But that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by thebearpack; February 1st, 2012 at 12:54 PM.

(Bucks County)

Its your call, you can transfer through FFL if you want, or make the person provide LTCF and PA drivers license (you said they dont have one) well you're the one selling the weapon and if thats a stipulation that you have for your own well being and trying to protect your ass a little bit then so be it...

Ive heard of stories of UC's coming onto forums and trying to get people to sell them guns to prohibited people...

I recently purchased a long gun off a forum member who required to see LTCF and PA Drivers license...I had no complaint at all as i respect this man in trying to look out for himself...Its not that i dont trust "you", I dont really trust anyone! (he also said alot of people gave him shit for asking to see LTCF, which i dont get? If you have nothing to hide, lets see it lol) I understand some people dont have them, but really?

Ive also bought an upper off of someone who didnt want to see anything, but ID, no bill of sale, etc...

I have yet to sell something to be in that situation that didnt require a transfer, so I am not sure what exactly I would do (probably ask for LTCF and PA drivers license) Not that it matters having a LTCF, it just kinda shows me the person may have a better grip on handling weapons..
    Last edited by Svickstc; February 1st, 2012 at 12:53 PM.

(Blair County)

I guess its a moot point because of the three local gun shops none want to do it. Campbells said they would but I would have to transfer it to them, then from them to the customer so 2 40$ charges.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    I guess its a moot point because of the three local gun shops none want to do it. Campbells said they would but I would have to transfer it to them, then from them to the customer so 2 40$ charges.
    That's interesting. If only there was some way you could document that the FFLs locally wouldn't help. Wonder how that would affect any potential future liability. I mean, you tried to use the "legal" way and got no joy.

(Beaver County)

Far as I'm concerned, my due diligence starts and ends with the things I can check. I can check that they have a current PA DL. And that's that. Because in reality, my DL could be fake or have been revoked since I got it. I could be a fugitive from justice, have 16 warrants out, be on the FBIs most wanted and you'd have no reasonable way to know. All you can do is check their DL (you could ask for a LTCF also, but that's as useful as the DL for the above reasons) and you have your instincts to tell you if the person is good or bad. None of us are mind readers so that's pretty much useless also.

I sold a shotgun at a garage sale last year. Guy asked to look at it, showed me his PA DL (which I looked at) offered to show me his LTCF (which I declined) and then gave me money. If that guy drove to the Cranberry Mall and shot up the place with that gun, how is that possibly my fault? I did what the law says I had to.

Bad people do bad things all of the time. You are only responsible for the things you can control. You give a drunk guy your keys and he wrecks your car, that's on you. You give a guy your keys and he drives off and runs over someones kid/dog/etc that isn't on you. A gun is a tool on a long list of tools that can easily cause death if misused.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(York County)

There is an excellent (IMHO) discussion on this, with interesting and informative commentary from Gunlawyer001, in this recent thread here...

http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...ification.html

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast