Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Found a S&W 629-6 6" bbl, need price advice

I have recently found what I have been missing in not owning a S&W revolver and I found a S&W 629-6 today for $565 and was wondering if that was a fair price.

I am not that up on S&Ws but I have heard there are things to watch out for on the newer models. I have heard some gun shops bitch a blue streak regarding the newer ones. This was in good shape. It has been shot some but seemed tight and the barrel still looked good on it. It had some wear on the outside and a small nick on the outside edge of the barrel crown, nothing that would effect the gun at all. Mechanically it looked good, just needed some TLC and some cleaning.

What's your opinion, good deal or no?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Found a S&W 629-6 6" bbl, need price advice

I'm not much of a fan of the newer S&W revolvers as they can be hit or miss in the QA department. If it locks up tight on all six rotations and in good enough shape for ya, $565 is a good price in my opinion.

Lock up is important to me. In single action, hold the hammer back while squeezing the trigger, check the cylinder for side to side and end play. It should be tight but S&W pistols can have a little play with no worry.

Gotta love the SA triggers on most S&W revolvers and they sure are pretty.. I love my 629-4 with a 6" barrel.. but.. if I were in the market for a heavy duty .44mag (if that's what you're looking for), take a look at the Rugers.

(Bucks County)

NIB 629's are above 800 dollars and i just saw a mint stainless steel 629 at my local gunshop for 699 so i'd say 565 is a good price unless the gun is beat to crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    I'm not much of a fan of the newer S&W revolvers as they can be hit or miss in the QA department. If it locks up tight on all six rotations and in good enough shape for ya, $565 is a good price in my opinion.

Lock up is important to me. In single action, hold the hammer back while squeezing the trigger, check the cylinder for side to side and end play. It should be tight but S&W pistols can have a little play with no worry.

Gotta love the SA triggers on most S&W revolvers and they sure are pretty.. I love my 629-4 with a 6" barrel.. but.. if I were in the market for a heavy duty .44mag (if that's what you're looking for), take a look at the Rugers.
    Kind of funny. I have a Ruger redhawk in 44 mag that Ive been thinking of selling for a S&W. The Ruger is built like a tank, but is a tad large for my hands.

(Chester County)

Think you are GTG with that one at that price

Only used .44 revolvers ive seen around in that price range are beat up looking Taurus Raging Bulls ( IMHO an inferior product to the Smith )

Plus Smith is usually pretty good about taking care of you if you have an issue with one of their guns

Good Luck

Jeff