Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Stove piping and jamming on a brand new Beretta 92A1

Some of you may have seen my last thread about me getting my first new gun (also my first auto), a Beratta 92A1. I wanted to start a new thread instead of just commenting back in that one because I'd like comments on the specific issues I had on my first range trip with it on Sunday.

The first 17 rd mag went through fine, no problems and the gun felt good. I was with some friends so they all took their turns then I went up for my second mag a little later. I believe it was the second or third mag (I shot four total) when I started getting fairly consistent stove piping and failure to feed issues (empty ejected but next round was stuck tilted upward trying to go into chamber), maybe once every 3 rounds or so and never going more than 5 or 6 without a problem. It happened in at least two of my three mags. I was shooting both Remington UMC 115 gr FMJ and JHP, both had the same issues. My friends were shooting Beretta Px4's with the same ammo, none had issues through probably 6 mags or more. Their guns are less than a month old and have maybe a couple hundred rounds through including this past Sunday.

I was shooting at Clayton's which is where I had bough the gun a few days earlier and on my way out I talked to the owner. He said that based on what I had described the gun may have some grease in the slide, especially since it was brand new out of the box and I hadn't cleaned it yet. He suggested I clean it and come back and stop immediately if it happens then go get him so he can see it and fire it. I was satisfied with that answer and I'll try that maybe this weekend if I have time.

Does that sound like something that can or would happen on a brand new gun? If so I guess I will have learned my lesson for the next time I have a brand new gun that it must (or should) be cleaned first. Thanks for any and all help in advance.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Stove piping and jamming on a brand new Beretta 92A1

Had the same problem with my out of the box LC9 until I cleaned it the first time. Never happened again. Good luck

(Centre County)

Did you detail clean and cleaned off shipping grease from it?

I bought new Sig 226 combat few years back. I clean it by field stripping the gun. It was kept stovepiping.
    I find out that I cleaned the gun, But Sig ship their guns with this thick white grease, and extractor recces was full of the grease

I stripped slide completely, and used the whole can of cleaner.

After cleaned out them, gun run fine, and never missed the beat
    Last edited by Mity2; January 31st, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Elk County)

Rem UMC does the same thing in two of my Beretta 92 pistols, but not in the other two or my SIGs. Rem UMC will cause my Sterling Mk4 SMG to "run away" in full auto because the cartridge doesn't have enough ass to push the bolt sufficiently far back so that the sear engages the sear bent. It runs the mag dry.

It may be the cause of your stovepiping.

Try some W-W Value Pack, Wolf/Tula, or Fiocchi and see if it works OK.

If you want to stick with Rem UMC ammo, just get a recoil spring with slightly lower force from Wolff. They offer a "tuning kit" or whatever they call it with three or more recoil springs of various force. Simply try each one to see which functions the best without the slide jarring into the frame.

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; January 31st, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Bucks County)

Clean it, lube it and go back and shoot the same ammo. I would definitely bring some other brand's of ammo and run that through it. It behooves you to always clean a new gun before firing it.

UMC is notorious for being soft. That, combined with packing grease (and some burnt and unburnt powder residue) will make the slide sticky, quickly. It will do what you are describing, unless you developed floppy wrist in the middle of your shooting. As said, clean the pistol, use a slippery lube, and retry. Take a mildly hotter load like WWB. The Beretta 92 runs perfectly with WWB, even if it is new.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Chester County)

Another vote for field strip, clean and lube. One should always do this with a new pistol. I've never had a problem with UMC and my 92's.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks all for the advice. I was planning on cleaning after the first use anyway so once I do that and go back I'll let you all know how it turns out. Now I know for the future to clean a new gun before using. I also try at least one other type of ammo just to see how that goes. The problem is my Wal-Mart has a crappy ammo selection with OK prices so then I'm at the mercy of the gun shops. Clayton's ammo prices weren't terrible but they weren't great. Maybe I'll check out Dick's.

Ditto on the clean and lube. It is not unusual for new pistols to need a break-in period of about 200 rounds, even the high quality pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by carrguy1 View Post
    Thanks all for the advice. I was planning on cleaning after the first use anyway so once I do that and go back I'll let you all know how it turns out. Now I know for the future to clean a new gun before using. I also try at least one other type of ammo just to see how that goes. The problem is my Wal-Mart has a crappy ammo selection with OK prices so then I'm at the mercy of the gun shops. Clayton's ammo prices weren't terrible but they weren't great. Maybe I'll check out Dick's.
    UMC doesn't suck, by any means, it is just a warm round. I like to use a consistant, hotter ammo (WWB isn't hot, persay, but it is, according to FPS tables that I have seen, a tic hotter than UMC) to shoot a gun in. Lot of people swear by it (UMC) for inexpensive target shooting.

I work for WM, so I know how it is with ammo, there. They just started carrying Fed. Hydroshoks, which keeps me from special ordering them, now.
    Last edited by harold63; February 1st, 2012 at 12:21 AM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast