Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Wanted: 22LR pistol with a decent high cap mag!

Pretty sure I griped about this in another thread a while back, but having looked at a few 22LR pistol offerings it still baffles me that they are damn near all 10 round mags. Seems Smith and Wesson cleverly figured out how to bump that to an incredible 12! Twelve?! Fuck you Smith and Wesson. You know you could have fit 25 rounds in that grip. The goddamned thing fits 17 rounds of 9mm.

Now I'll admit to not knowing anything about designing magazines. Hell, maybe the 22LR round can't be double stacked? Which seems unlikely since there are rifles that double stack them somehow.

I want to shoot a 22 pistol just like everyone else. But it drives me NUTS that nobody makes a nice 20-30 round mag in a decent format pistol (Beretta, Glock, Smith, 1911, whatever). PMC made that shit ugly 22 mag pistol that holds 30 rounds. It can't be rocket surgery. Can I get an amen?
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

Default Re: Wanted: 22LR pistol with a decent high cap mag!

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post

Now I'll admit to not knowing anything about designing magazines. Hell, maybe the 22LR round can't be double stacked? Which seems unlikely since there are rifles that double stack them somehow.
    I don't know either, maybe it's because they're a rimmed case?

I found a longer spring and shorter mag plug for my sig 22 conversion kit and it brings the cap to 15. Which I prefer because I only load it to 12 so it's more like my sig when it has the .40 barrel and slide on it.
    Last edited by SigSauer226; January 31st, 2012 at 05:19 PM.

(Lehigh County)

The 25-round magazine of M&P15-22 is double stacked. If they can do it there, they can do it for pistol mags.

(Bucks County)

There was a guy who was making followers for the GSG 1911 that allowed 14 rounds to fit in a factory magazine. Not sure if he's still doing it but it's worth looking into:

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...63145-GSG-1911

(Pike County)

Right on, Kel-Tec needs to offer the PMR pistol in .22LR also. I am going to watch this thread and see if anyone can find a legitimate reason why no one makes a hi-cap. 22LR pistol.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; February 1st, 2012 at 03:40 PM.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Right on, Kel-Tec needs to offer the PMR pistol in. 22LR also.
    Yes, but that thing is dog ugly. Or I'd just suck it up and buy one. Also, though I swear that was a $300ish gun I'm seeing them at middle $500 instead. Which is bullshit. That's a plinker, no way it should be that much.

Thinking of this made me think of the other pistol I want, which is that new 22 TCM deal. SIGH.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Right on, Kel-Tec needs to offer the PMR pistol in. 22LR also. I am going to watch this thread and see if anyone can find a legitimate reason why no one makes a hi-cap. 22LR pistol.
    Agree.

Would like to have a PMR 30 conversion kit that allows it to shoot .22LR.

They are making threaded barrels for them supposedly and that would make the gun even more versatile.

You could go .22LR + a can. Or .22Mag and blast away.

Options are good.

As to the abundance of crappy capacity .22LR hand guns. I have no idea.

I'd pay $400 for a PMR-30. But not at the current going rate which is absurd.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; February 1st, 2012 at 03:35 PM.

Pretty sure I griped about this in another thread a while back, but having looked at a few 22LR pistol offerings it still baffles me that they are damn near all 10 round mags. Seems Smith and Wesson cleverly figured out how to bump that to an incredible 12! Twelve?! Fuck you Smith and Wesson. You know you could have fit 25 rounds in that grip. The goddamned thing fits 17 rounds of 9mm.

I want to shoot a 22 pistol just like everyone else. But it drives me NUTS that nobody makes a nice 20-30 round mag in a decent format pistol (Beretta, Glock, Smith, 1911, whatever). PMC made that shit ugly 22 mag pistol that holds 30 rounds. It can't be rocket surgery. Can I get an amen?
    Making doublestack magazines for rimmed cartridges is very hard. The only one i can even think of is the Kel Tec PMR30, and from the reports ive read, they're total jammomatics.

Quote Originally Posted by filgun11 View Post
    The 25-round magazine of M&P15-22 is double stacked. If they can do it there, they can do it for pistol mags.
    I was just looking at a M&P15-22 today. I'm pretty damn sure it's a single stack mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Agree.

They are making threaded barrels for them supposedly and that would make the gun even more versatile.

Options are good.

From what i've read the PMR-30 mag would have to be totally redesigned for .22LR, and as a result, KT has zero plans for a .22 LR model.

You don't even need a can on a .22 pistol. Just buy a screw on "back pressure booster" with rifling, and use subsonic ammo. That's what i did with my ruger.

The thing now has an effective 10" barrel length (with an effective expansion chamber in the gap where the booster threads onto the barrel), and is very, very quiet. Because it has rifling in it, it's not even on ATF's radar.

It's quiet enough that with Super calibri's you can hear the firing pin drop during the firing sequence, and with Aguila 60gr subsonics it's as loud as a normal length pistol firing the super calibri's is. You don't need hearing protection with either, even firing it in a small indoor enclosed space.

I was so pleased with the results that i shelved all plans to buy a can for my pistol. This set up is more than good enough, and the screw on barrel extension only cost me $79.00
    Last edited by Valorius; February 1st, 2012 at 03:45 PM.

The PM30 pistol has 30 rounds of 22Mag if thats possible it could happen in 22LR. That is a good question.

(Pike County)

Val, I have a 15-22 and it's a double stacked mag for sure:

Yes, but that thing is dog ugly. Or I'd just suck it up and buy one. Also, though I swear that was a $300ish gun I'm seeing them at middle $500 instead. Which is bullshit. That's a plinker, no way it should be that much.

Thinking of this made me think of the other pistol I want, which is that new 22 TCM deal. SIGH.
    I personally don't think it's ugly but it looks like a toy to me, I am generally neutral on it's appearance. Totally agree this pistol isn't worth $500. I think that's due to the supply/demand issues from Kel-Tec.

Agree.

Options are good.

Man having a round like the .22 WMR supressed is going to be so cool, it looks like a nasty bullet for a .22 cal round. If they came out with a conversion kit right now I would buy it as soon as my tax return comes. The PMR is growning on me and after seeing the .22WMR round in person I think it would make a neat little plinker. The price on the .22 WMR round could be better but I can get the rounds at Wal-Mart and just buy 100-150 rounds when I go shooting.

So yeah let's see a conversion kit.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast