Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default First Carry Pistol

I have my LTCF, and am interested in carrying on a semi-regular basis, once I take some classes. I am also interested in getting more into matches like 3-gun, etc.... which I would need a .45 to compete with.

Money is an object, and if possible, I'd like to kill two birds with one stone and get a carry piece, and a *useable* match gun in one go.

I won't be carrying 24/7...yet, just when not at my office/day job. I also won't be shooting in and super-serious matches either. I'm no expert shot, so a super-duper trigger job and polished do-hickey would be money wasted at this point. I just want something I can carry and have fun with when I'm not carrying.

I've looked at Springfield XDs, Taurus PT-247 and Rock Island Arms 1911's, but can't make the choice.

I would like your advice on what piece I should purchase and if I'm asking the impossible and would be better off with two guns.

If I should just buy two guns, can you reccomend both a carry piece, and a match gun?

I have checked out the LC9 and PF-9 from Ruger and Kel-Tec respectively, but they seem so small! I'm a rather large guy at 6'1" and 240 lbs, so I feel like I could conceal something a little larger, or with a little more capactiy.

(Clarion County)

Default Re: First Carry Pistol

Glock G-30,smallish and acurate.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

I have an XD Service in .357 Sig. It is quite concealable and I can keep 50 rounds in a group the size of my fist at 25 yards. I consider myself a good shooter and my USMC qualifications say that as well.

All of my instructors repeat the mantra, "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.". Train slowly, focusing on the necessary fundamentals for a well placed shot. Maintain the same point of aim and sight picture for each shot. After you have shot a group, pull your target for analysis. I usually do this after about a magazine worth. It gives enough of a group to observe a trend, without so many holes that the picture becomes unclear. A decent instructor will be able to identify issues with your technique based on your group size and location.

I chose the XD due to the backstrap safety and trigger safety combining to make a very safe pistol, without having to remember to sweep a manual safety off. This reduces the amount of practice needed to stay proficient.

I believe the XD is easier to clean and maintain than a 1911, and have heard some very mixed experiences with Taurus.

(Westmoreland County)

If you are planning for double duty the Glock 19/23 size gun is hard to beat. I believe that the XD line calls that size a compact. Depends on how well you can conceal though and what your tolerance level is. A lot of people need a very small gun to conceal carry. I’ve never had an issue with carrying a full size gun and currently carry a CCO size 1911.

Have you looked into the M&P lineup from Smith and Wesson?

RIA 1911 would probably work well for you. They reasonably priced and since they're a 1911 so it opens a lot of doors when it comes to upgrades.

you really don't need a 45 to compete, unless you want to shoot SS USPSA. 3 gun would best be served with a 9mm. It really saves money long term and opens up what you can do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
    you really don't need a 45 to compete, unless you want to shoot SS USPSA. 3 gun would best be served with a 9mm. It really saves money long term and opens up what you can do with it.
    Good point. Also, if your heart gets set on having a 1911, RIA sells a 1911 in 9mm.

(Delaware County)

I'm not familiar with 3 gun. The 1911 in either 9mm or 45 can be used in both IDPA and USPSA. IDPA you can shoot ESP with 9mm and CDP with 45.
    The SA XD can be used in both USPSA and IDPA also. {9mm or 45} You could also consider buying the XD in .40 S&W.
    USPSA you can shoot both Limited 10 or Single Stack Div with either 9mm or 45.
    In the RIA price range, I'd say it's about the best option. If you can spend about $650, you can buy a STI Spartan in either 9mm or 45.
    There is a STI Spatan for sale on the forum right now for $560. Comes with about 200 rds of 45 ammo. Everybody that has reviewed the Spartan loves the gun. Besides, STI makes great guns and their CS is said to be very good.
    Last edited by SauerGrapes; January 31st, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

For Concealed Carry/ Personal Defense Caliber Choice: 9mm, .40S&W, .45 ACP or .357 Sig (for all practical purposes they are equal, although the .357 Sig Ammo will cost slightly more)

Pistol size: Given your size and the competition potential, I would suggest the "Compact" size range (~ 4 inch barrel)
    The Springfield XD would be a good choice, as would a Glock 19/23.

A 1911 is a full sized pistol (5" Barrel), therefore harder to conceal. Not a concern for open carry.
    I have no experience with the Taurus, but their reputation for quality is a bit spotty.
    Ultimately, pick a pistol that fits your hand.

(Cumberland County)

I have no firsthand experience with the compact xds but the full size 45 acp handles well. I think it has a good grip, the beaver tail type safety is a plus for some and I have found them to be very accurate.

I can highly recommend the Glock 19 for carry/competition. I find it easy to conceal in a Remora holster all day comfortably (6'6'', 240), boring reliability, good accuracy (I stretch mine to 25 yds slow fire at the range every time) and suitable and convenient capacity. Of course safe handling is a must with no external safeties but I find that it keeps me on my toes, personally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast