Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default New guy....H&R 999 info

Good morning, I just joined and although I don't currently live in PA I have spent a lot of time eating my way through Lancaster area getting to know real bologna and lard filled baked goods. I look forward to returning to the area and hope to learn eastern English again.

I found and purchased an H&R model 999 in beautiful, condition, blued, about 7" fluted barrel, "Frontier" engraved on the left side of barrel, model 999 & 22 cal and H & R Inc USA also on left side, wood checkered grips with golden H&R emblem and Ser# AD86805 stamped on the base of the grip strap.

From everything I've read they appear to be high quality accurate 22's that are often handed down from grandpa-son-grandson. Can anyone help me find out when & where it was made, type of ammo that's safe to use in it and approximate worth. It came with a leather holster made by Warshal's in Seattle. Is this a Family keeper?

I'd appreciate any help you all could provide....Thanks in advance.

mtngoat

(Chester County)

Default Re: New guy....H&R 999 info

I have an H&R 939 which is almost the same thing. The main difference is that yours breaks open and in mine the cylinder swings out. I shoot 22 short, long, and long rifle. It eats everything I throw at it. CCI is good as well as Blazer and even the federal bulk packs. I try to stay away from bulk Remington. It seems to have a lot of misfires. You should post some pictures of your latest purchase!
    "All we have is a temporary bill of privileges" - George Carlin

(Delaware County)

Wrong forum.......5.4.3.2.1
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Lackawanna County)

sry for posting without introducing myself. didnt notice this off the bat.

im from lancaster now live in pittston.

i like guns, own 100`s, Yes Hundereds...I inherited 54 from my dad. never knew there was no legal registration process for inheriting guns. did no background check fee, nuttin just spoke with attorney & picked up guns with no other gun getting paperwork. anybody know this was totally legal to get your mom or dads guns with no paperwork, living or dead i found out its totally cool! anyways had to convert one of my wifes closets into a gun locker. shes pissed but i promised ill either sell some and by some i mean most of them -inherited ones, sadly -

I also like archery, hunting, fishing, baseball, football and anything fast dangerous & adrenaline rushing!

relax time for me is disassembly, clean, reassembly of my guns....this is my yoga=)

Im an nra member. i wear shooting gloves. i dont care if i look lame, i love them cause they keep my hands from getting callosy. no im not a hand model, just like soft hands, so i wear gloves when i can.

lol im guessing nobody is gonna read this soo i certainly splurged a bit with my introduction, but in the small chance someone does read this, hope i didnt bore you too much.

(Montgomery County)

Welcome to the forum.

Please be aware we have deliberately set the forum up with various categories so subject matter can be collated together.

in this case, your post about a pistol has been moved to the Pistols forum.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Jefferson County)

AD = 1967.

It was made in Massachusetts, but I can't remember if in 1967 they were made in Gardner or Worchester.

Any 22 Short, Long, or Long Rifle cartridge can be fired in it.

Value depends on it's condition. Could be a $100 gun or a $500 gun, without good pictures we can't really say what it is worth. Then, it is really only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.
    Last edited by knight0334; February 1st, 2012 at 02:05 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Thanks...I guess I need to check categories more closely before posting again...and take mpan72's advice.

(Northampton County)

Mtngoat,
    As Knight stated, your SPORTSMAN was made in 1967. H&R changed the barrel address from Worchester, MASS to Gardner circa 1972. So your gun was made at the Worchester plant.. It is a 2nd Model and should have the firing pin mounted on the nose of the hammer
    I've been collecting and researching H&R firearms for 16 years. I currently own 3 dozen SPORTSMAN revolvers from the earliest to the lates and I've seen and listed data of hundreds of others. I have NEVER seen, nor heard of one with "FRONTIER" stamped on the barrel. This is a very interesting find, IMO. If you can't post pics of this piece on this thread, would you e-mail them to me at bobell01@aol.com? I can try to put them up on here for others to view.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 32 Magnum View Post
    ...I have NEVER seen, nor heard of one with "FRONTIER" stamped on the barrel. This is a very interesting find, IMO. If you can't post pics of this piece on this thread, would you e-mail them to me at bobell01@aol.com? I can try to put them up on here for others to view.
    I am also very interested in that. While you seem to be much more of an expert on the H&R 999 than I that was the first thing I thought when I read it. My dad's 999 was one of the guns I learned on way back when and I just started shooting it again after a long hiatus. I love that gun; fun and easy to shoot. From what I've seen on gunbroker prices seem to average around $200-300, depending on condition of course.

I don't shoot anything fancy in it. I'm currently going through an old bag of mixed federal and CCI .22lr though I believe we have used hotter rounds in the past like mini mags and stingers.
    Last edited by carrguy1; February 1st, 2012 at 02:21 PM.