Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIA 1911

(Lancaster County)

Default RIA 1911

I got it end of November and it has functioned flawlessly. I'm going to send it out to have it Cerakoted by EFR. Other than that would anyone recommend any work being done? Trigger job? I've heard of a reliability package? I am happy with it but I'd like to hear from the 1911 experts. I've always just bought gun and shot gun, never had a failure to feed or eject in any Gov model I've owned. Maybe I was just lucky.

(Berks County)

Default Re: RIA 1911

If you have the tatical then you don't need too much done.

Only mods I would consider, outside of the refinish :

Checker the frontstrap. It does make a difference 20 lines per inch (lpi) gets the job done, but may be a bit aggressive until you get adjusted to the pattern.

Sights: I put tritium night sights on all my pistols when possible. Many defensive shoots occur in low light situations, and the night sights do give a definate advantage in those situations.

If you have the GI model:

Commander type hammer. It will reduce snag points when doing your drawstroke.

Beavertail Grip Safety: It forces the hand to ride higher in the grip. This helps keeping the pistol on target, and manages the control in shot placement. Consistant grip is king in getting rounds on target.

If you can work the standard thumb safety, I would leave that alone. If you have any issues then go with the extended thumb safety FIRST. The ambi safties have a nasty habit of getting snagged on clothing when doing your drawstroke.

Sights: The GI issue ones are hard to pick up at speed for good eyes. On my now 50yr old MK1 eyeball, furgettabouit.

Follow the KISS principle in doing your mods and you should be good to go.
    gotta love her ;)

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    I got it end of November and it has functioned flawlessly. I'm going to send it out to have it Cerakoted by EFR. Other than that would anyone recommend any work being done? Trigger job? I've heard of a reliability package? I am happy with it but I'd like to hear from the 1911 experts. I've always just bought gun and shot gun, never had a failure to feed or eject in any Gov model I've owned. Maybe I was just lucky.
    One of the forum members does cerakoting from his home in the State College area.

You may want to get hold of him for a quote on a price.

I would have to do a quick search of the forum to get his name again.

I am thinking of having my Glock G19 cerakoted and got a good price from him.

But the thing looks so nice how it is that I have been having a hard time coating it!

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(Lycoming County)

Xringshooter is the person in State College.

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    If your pistol functions "flawlessly," wouldn't that be considered "reliable"? If so, what would be the point of spending money on a so-called "reliability package"? Do you know a gunsmith who guarantees better than "flawless" reliability? I don't.

Trigger job? Is the trigger bad? If so, get a trigger job -- if not, don't.

(Lancaster County)

All good points Greywolf. I concur.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the info 3P, I sent it out to EFR. Brian seems like a good guy and the pics of his work sold me

(Centre County)

My only real complaint of RIA is that I think it can tremendusly benefit from replacing its odd looking trigger with something that have overtravel stop on it.

Oh, you know what else I would do? I'd have him machine the true novak cut on slide. Choice of sight would greatly widen if you do.

Standard Novak cut is 65 degree x .495 . From what I hear, RIA's cut is 487, not .495.
    Im not sure about front. I heard that RIA has a deeper cut than a typical GI dovetail, so you'll have a gap under the sight if you do.

If money allows it, I would have him do the front checker. I would, if I send my gun out to gunsmith.
    I know I'm gonna keep my RIA for LONG time, as its like only gun we found that my wife can actualy somewhat being proficient with
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Bucks County)

If its the tactical model, leave it alone if it functions fine...save the money for a higher end 1911 if thats what you want in the gun

Brian coated my 1911 and it turned out beautiful!

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the well thought out input Mity. I noticed the sight cutout was a bit "odd". As far as checkering I have the Pachmayr ALS grips so Im good to go there. @ Svick- I like the RIAs but I'm not going to try dumping a bunch of money on them in smithing. I might pick up a couple more, maybe one in 9mm and have them refinished through EFR. Mostly for just personal enjoyment and a little fun. I'd like to get a Kimber TLE for "my high end 1911". And of course either my Delta Elite back or another original production DE. Thanks guys for your thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast