Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oddball Rifle Restoration

Some years ago, so long ago I don't even remember getting it, I came into possession of a J.C. Higgins Model 103.18, also known as a Marlin 100. It's missing the bolt assembly but I found one on Numrich. My granddaughter is coming for a visit and I'm going to restore this rifle and give it to her...it'll not only be her first firearm but I'll also have the extreme pleasure of taking her shooting for her first time ever. Being that she's 8y.o. she has an odd taste in colors. Her favorite color is neon green.

So, first question. After some rooting around on the web I can't find a neon green stain for the stock. I'd really prefer not to simply paint it, I want the wood to show. Anyone ever hear of such a stain?

Second question. I think a chromed barrel would look great on the green, presently it's blued and in fairly good condition, no pitting and very little rust, I'd say less than 1% of the metal has any indication of rust. I'm on a 3 week timeframe, and haven't looked into a professional chrome job yet, I just started the work tonight but I'll call around tomorrow. My concern with chroming is time and cost. Either one will stall the idea. So the question is, is simply spray painting a chrome paint (such as is used on hot water radiators) a viable idea for a rifle barrel?
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Default Re: Oddball Rifle Restoration

great project bud!

keep in mind an 8 yr old girls perspective of things, you may want to add some glitter! or a pony!

i think the finish you will get from rad paint is more of a galvanized look , i would explore the local pep boys/ auto zone for a chrome engine paint.

maybe look for a local custom bike shop who may be able to point you toward a chrome shop who could turn it around fast for you. do some leg work on prep and send it in ready to go to save time and money.

good luck and dont worry bout it , such good intentions can hardly go wrong!!
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

This girl is hardcore, the ponies won't get it. But if time allows and imagination get busy I think your onto something with that idea. I like the engine chrome idea too, that could work if actual chroming is a barrier to completion. I figured tomorrow I could check out a place or two, a bike shop was my first thought on that, or a custom car shop. They can't do it but they surely will know who does, and who does nice work. I would love to add a chromed buttplate too, it'll add to the overall look. I might just paint that too. The stock is already rough sanded, I'm going to move onto finer grit and get it perfect, then use what I can find for stain. I did fine some loud green tints, just not neon.

Yeah, this should be a pretty cool Grandpa gift. She lives in Green Bay so we only see each other once a year or so but we've bonded very nicely. I had the pleasure of taking her on her first tubing trip on the Delaware a few years ago, her first walk in the woods and we spotted her first deer together, a nice buck.

Hopefully I'll remember to take a picture of her first shot and post it. I'm Grandpa...I'll remember.

Edit: Radiator paint does come in a chrome finish, I used it on some old radiators I restored a few years ago. I just don't think it'll have the effect I'm going for, it really isn't a refined finish.
    Last edited by ErSwnn; January 31st, 2012 at 12:42 AM.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Berks County)

Grandpa.....um....ErSwnn, what a great project!

Only thing is those paints probably won't hold up that well, best way to paint metal is to blast it first to get a rough finish for the paint to really adhere.

You may want to look into the Duracoat "Bloomberg" line of colors for the metal....they have a pretty loud green!

Link: http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_bloomberg.html

As for the stock, if the color thing doesn't work out and you wind up just staining it, you could give these guys a call, they have quite a selection of wild laminated colors for stocks and the prices are not that bad. No idea if they will have a Marlin 100, but it may be worth a call at least.

http://rifle-stocks.com/laminated_woods.htm

Being that she's 8y.o. she has an odd taste in colors.
    So did my daughter, and I wanted to do something really wild for her like with one of those colorful laminated stocks, but she insisted on keeping "her" rifle all black and cool looking the way we bought it.

Good luck!
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Berks County)

Found a better green color on the duracoat "electric" colors.

Link: http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_electric.html
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Duron paint makes a stain that is meant to cover the grain but still show the texture of the wood but if you wipe it off before it dries it leaves a nice color in the grain of the wood. I belive that they make a white base that you can have colors mixed into. Just make a quick trip to sherwin williams and see what they can do for you.

(Lebanon County)

I don't know what you'll find in a neon color but food coloring mixed with a light, neutral or clear wood finish can give you a lot of room to get creative. Someplace that specializes in cake decorating and party supplies may have a better selection of colors than the basic 4 that you typically find in a grocery store.
    Easter egg decorating colors may be another option. Try small scale to make sure the color is compatible with your finish. I've made my own paint colors with white base and food colors and it actually works pretty well. I had to do a small touchup job in our bathroom and had no idea what brand or shade the paint was and I didn't want to spend money on a full can that looked pretty close. I used some white paint and a few drops of blue food coloring until I got a shade that matched. You can't even tell where the touch-up is, and it's in a very conspicuous place on the biggest wall.

High temp engine enamel can be baked on for a more durable finish. After prep get the barrel warm before you paint it then put it into the oven (preferably when the wife isn't home) for about an hour at a temperature that's lower than what the can says the paint is rated for.
    It will probably stink for several hours after the baking, (the oven, not the gun) but the smell will eventually dissipate.
    Hanging it above a wood stove or a propane or kerosene heater may do the trick too, it's the right time of the year for that.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

http://www.cabotstain.com/colors-and...nt-Colors.html

or

http://www.npcsealants.com/stain_colors.htm

or

http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/B...n-Stain-Finish

Try contacting these people, see if they can be of any aassitance.

If you go the engine paint route for the barrel and buttplate I suggest locating the highest temp available. While your barrel isn't going to be getting this hot (I'm pretty sure it wont.) it is a good piece of mind to have. I'd clear it after that too with high temp engine paint to protect it.

I don't know about any of you guys but my oven isn't large enough to fit a barrel or barrel action in to have the door fully close.

(Cambria County)

I wouldn't recomend engine paint. If you cannot get it chromed locally, then try the duracoat. I believe they have chrome as a color. The duracoat would work well on the stock, but unless the stock is striped completely it will hide the grain. I do like the thought of food coloring in clearcoat. Never thouht of that, I will have to try it myself. You could always go to an automotive paint store and get metal flake that they add in so it gliters in the sun.Kinda like pearl.

(Erie County)

Take a look at zinc chromate primer. We used it on aircraft parts before painting. It is somewhat translucent and quite loud lime green. It also adheres very well. It's made for aluminum and comes in spray cans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast