Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Looking for deer antlers

Anyone in South Butler Co or North/Central Allegheny Co happen to have some spare/unused/unwanted deer antlers they'd part with cheap? Don't have to be anything nice, I want to cut them up for our dogs to chew on. The stores want big $$ for these things and it is all for labor and packaging which is BS.

I'm too lazy to shoot my own, and it's a bit early for finding dropped racks I think. Let me know what you have and what you want for them.

Thanks.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Looking for deer antlers

I go out and collect them each spring. Well, I go out to one certain spot and pick them up. You can build a device to help the deer drop their antlers in one spot for you. It's easy, and the plans are on the web. I forget where, but there is a video. Basically, you need to build a 'fence corner' out of either chain link or chicken wire with a frame top and bottom. The frame can be as simple as wood or rebar. Anyway, you build a corner and place feed in the corner. It really helps if you can find a trail that the bucks are using regularly. A buck will wander in to feed and get his antlers stuck in the mesh and the antlers will fall off. I don't advise working the device or even allowing it to remain standing anytime but mid to late February. You don't want a deer getting stuck and not getting out. Remember, trapping deer is illegal in Pa. I'm not saying the system I use is not illegal, but I've never had issues. Your mileage may vary.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Looking for deer antlers

Assuming that you have a Rotti, Deer will be to soft. My Boxers were making sharp splinters out of Deer Antlers in an hour.

I highly recommend this guy. I bought a pair of large elk tines with solid cores and my guys have been working on them for a couple weeks without much headway.

http://michiganantlerart.com/large_antler_chews

JD