Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: is it me...or the gun?

Using FMJ and you loaded all the rounds for your Buddy and you. I hate to say it but it sounds like it was you, probably limp wristing. Eevn though your thought you had a good solid grip.

One thing to try is to mimick your buddy's grip and stance. Sometimes you can relax too fast and cause the limp wrist reaction after hold a firm grip.
    You need 200-300 rounds through this gun to break it in start doing things to get this done. It does sound like its you.
    Last edited by Neko456; January 31st, 2012 at 02:41 PM.

(Centre County)

Wait.

So you have Para GI 1911 that would not feed when you shoot. But when someone else shoots YOUR 1911 which you had feedprobrem, it works without an issue for him?

I would say your not holding your gun right.

BUT you would normaly get a stove pipe when you limp wrist(my wife was a repeat offender of limp wristing), not fail to feed.
    She used to limpwrist all the time, until I got her a 1911... LOL

Anyway, to rule out extractor issue, drop a 1 drop of oil on to an extractor.
    I had a Para with PXT once, and it used to do the same thing, and after dropping 1 drop of oil on to extractor, issue was solved.

You can also try different magazine as well, if you have an access to it

Does Para GI Expert have Power Extractor?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyWhiteGuy View Post
    You say you have a firm grip, but is your grip high enough? You want your hand as high up on the grip as you can. Also, make sure your fingers aren't pressing on the slide and slowing it down.
    Right. If your buddy can shoot it with no malfunctions, then it is you. Sorry, Bro, but your gun doesn't know WHO is shooting it, it only knows HOW it is being held.

Winchester white box is good ammo to break in a 1911. If your friend didn't have any malfunctions, then this is not likely a break in problem. Most 1911's will shoot right from the box. As Crazy said, the arch between your thumb and index finger needs to be pressed in tightly under the beaver tail so that the gun cannot be pressed down at the back. You need a firm grip, but not a death grip. You cannot shoot good groups with a death grip. The grip should be tight enough to keep the beavertail in that arch when you shoot it. Last but not least, be sure your wrist is rigid while you shoot. The less muzzle flip you allow, the better the slide will cycle. Remember, the slide has to come all the way back after the shot to expend the empty cartridge and pick up another on its way back to battery (fully closed or forward, ready to fire). Any excess movement of the pistol during this process impedes its ability to function, correctly.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Delaware County)

im heading to the range now to put a couple hundred rounds through it now so i will report on what happens. im probably going to pick another mag up to check.

Oh yea, and don't touch the slide when it cycles, but you say you don't think you're doing that, so rule that out if you are not. How did you get hammer bite? You shouldn't be able to with the GI Expert.
    Last edited by harold63; January 30th, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Delaware County)

update: so i think it was the ammo. i finished off the s&b while concentrating on my grip and i had a little bit better luck but i was still getting ftf's. after that i switched to remington umc target 230gr and i had 2 ftf's out of 3 boxes both of which i did limp wrist and it wasnt the same ftf as the s&b's

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Oh yea, and don't touch the slide when it cycles, but you say you don't think you're doing that, so rule that out if you are not. How did you get hammer bite? You shouldn't be able to with the GI Expert.
    your right about the hammer bite, it was actually a little slide bite from my G19

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by messeduprex View Post
    update: so i think it was the ammo. i finished off the s&b while concentrating on my grip and i had a little bit better luck but i was still getting ftf's. after that i switched to remington umc target 230gr and i had 2 ftf's out of 3 boxes both of which i did limp wrist and it wasnt the same ftf as the s&b's
    wow, can't believe I didn't notice that. S&B is actually loaded a little hotter than most other ammo. I say clean it up, keep with the UMC to break it in, and in about a couple hundred more rounds, try the S&B again, see if it acts the same.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyWhiteGuy View Post
    wow, can't believe I didn't notice that. S&B is actually loaded a little hotter than most other ammo. I say clean it up, keep with the UMC to break it in, and in about a couple hundred more rounds, try the S&B again, see if it acts the same.
    thanks i will try that.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by messeduprex View Post
    thanks i will try that.
    Cool, and keep us updated, you got me really curious!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast