Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Senate May Consider Change In National Park Firearm Rules

Senate May Consider Change In National Park Firearm Rules

Friday, February 01, 2008

The U.S. Senate is likely to consider S. 2483, the “National Forests, Parks, Public Land, and Reclamation Projects Authorization Act,” next week. If that happens, Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) is expected to offer an amendment to S. 2483 to allow state law to govern the carrying and transportation of firearms in national parks and wildlife refuges.

If adopted and enacted, this amendment would accomplish the goals sought in the letter (www.nraila.org/Media/PDFs/kempthorne_ltr.pdf ) of December 14 to Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne from Senator Mike Crapo (R-ID) and 46 of his colleagues.

The NRA initiated and worked closely with Senator Crapo (http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=3319 ) to gather signatures from his colleagues to deliver this strong message to the Department of the Interior on this important issue.

We have been working on your behalf for nearly five years to facilitate this policy change and are committed to ensuring that it finally happens this year. If the Senate considers S. 2483 and Senator Coburn offers this amendment, we will ask the U.S. Senate to pass it and NRA members should urge their two Senators to vote for it.

We’ll be sure to keep you posted.

(Bucks County)

Default Rule Change to Allow Carry in National Parks

After many years of laying the groundwork, it looks as if carry in National Parks is about to become a reality.

At the request of the Bush Administration and 51 members of the United States Senate led by Senator Mike Crapo (R-ID), the National Park Service and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service prohibition of firearms on agency land will be revised in the following weeks. The National Rifle Association (NRA) is leading the effort to amend the existing policy regarding the carrying and transportation of firearms in National Parks and wildlife refuges.

“Law-abiding citizens should not be prohibited from protecting themselves and their families while enjoying America’s National Parks and wildlife refuges,” said Chris W. Cox, NRA chief lobbyist. “Under this proposal, federal parks and wildlife refuges will mirror the state firearm laws for state parks. This is an important step in the right direction.”

This is a great accomplishment, and we will have to be sure to rigorously participate in the public comment period that will open on April 30th. That will be an important part of the process in getting the Code of Federal Regulations changed so National Parks here in Pennsylvania are more friendly to the lawful carrying of firearms.

The pants shitting hysterics on the part of other groups has already begun.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Rule Change to Allow Carry in National Parks

Wait. I agree with something Bush did?

Excuse me while I got wipe the blood coming from my ears.. But woohoo!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    “Under this proposal, federal parks and wildlife refuges will mirror the state firearm laws for state parks. This is an important step in the right direction.”
    Unfortunately, in PA this will only mean that we can legally have the firearm in our vehicle, but will still not be able to carry on our person. All the more reason for the Legislature to force the DCNR regs to conform with state law on this issue.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

I would think that the national areas are going to be governed by the carry laws of the state proper and not the laws of the state parks. state law would be the governing principle and not state PARK regulations. I would read this as meaning that if you are legal in the STATE then you are legal in the national park areas. only DCNR property would be bound by these illegal regs.

Maybe a more vigorous lobbying of our good attorney general would be in order. After all he has done exemplary service for the citizens of the Commonwealth to this point.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Unfortunately, in PA this will only mean that we can legally have the firearm in our vehicle, but will still not be able to carry on our person. All the more reason for the Legislature to force the DCNR regs to conform with state law on this issue.
    We might be alright as state law doesn't say anything about state parks. The restriction is a regulation from the DCNR.

Just for my knowledge. This is just a policy change right not a law?
    If so couldn't the next president's appointee just say naaa screw that?
    FUCK BIDEN

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Senate May Consider Change In National Park Firearm Rules

I tend to agree, that I wouldn't expect the NPS to adopt state park regulations, which is how we can't carry in state parks. It's an administrative regulation, not state law. If NPS does adopt it, that creates a pretty good incentive to get rid of the state park rule. We need to get a pro-gun governor though.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

(Lebanon County)

I have to agree with others here. It's not great for us, since the DNCR has RULES (yea I know they're only rules and run counter to the UFA, but I don't want to be the test case). Those rules are what the National Parks would be bound to. I'd prefer if it were simply stated "the park will enforce the Firearms laws as is provided by the state it is located in" That will mean less overhead for the NP folks, and simplify everything, while allowing us to carry there legally, and with out administrative rules.

(Lycoming County)

Perhaps it is time to re-visit this thread

Where is this at the National level now that it was passed on the State level?

Be safe.

Scott