Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Next purchase. CCW. Help

Help me make up my mind by giving quality advice.
    I carried a glock 27 for about 10 years. Loved it, had night sights, carried well, was accurate enough for me. Sold it. (regret it). For various reasons (mostly needed the cash) I sold most of my other carry guns, including a s&w m&p45c.

I thought I wanted to carry a 1911, which I own, but the weight and slide length are somewhat large for me to conceal.

Here I am now, with a budget of about 950, considering purchasing the following:

Glock 19 or 23. I don't want to go the subcompact route anymore and think I would like something with a bit more capacity like one of these choices. I also figure with modern bullet choices, I should be fine with either caliber

Colt defender. Love the idea of this gun but keep hearing about others' whaving issues related to extractors or FTF.

M&P 40 or m&p9

Hk 45compact. This is a new idea, just started researching. Not sure about the da/sa trigger and would prefer a consistent pull each time. No go on the LEM trigger. Any experience with these? Ae they as huge as other hk models?

Another whim, glock 20sf, but probably too big to conceal. I am 5'6 and about 180. No dealers have these to handle and I would need to have one ordered. Have not found anywhere to shoot one, so this may be down the road.

What else should I consider?

Default Re: Next purchase. CCW. Help

How about a Ruger SR9 or SR9c? If you don't mind a revolver, an LCR?

If you liked the Glock in the past, I'd go for the 19 or 23 you suggested.

(Northampton County)

With your budget I would go ahead and get the HK. I am a big 1911 fan but I usually carry a decoker or striker fired pistol. I am not saying the defender can't get the job done but if you forget to take off your safety after drawing that could be your life. Carrying 1911 pistols requires lots of practice to build muscle memory so that when drawing it becomes automatic you don't even think about taking off your safety you just do it. Personally I would rather draw and go bang. I probably spend more time shooting my 1911's than any other pistol .but like I said I still carry decockers or strike fired pistols. Brian / EFR
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Westmoreland County)

Based on what you are considering I like the M&P9/40 the best. Excellent weapons. Very little experience with the HK but I generally don’t care for single/double action autos or decockers. By all accounts though it’s an excellent firearm. Glock, if it fits, is hard to beat. All good choices looking at it.

Have you considered a CCO size 1911 like the Colt, Kimber Compact, or SIG C3?

Aint gun shopping fun? Good luck!

I use my Glock 19, 1911 Commander and G23 for CC stuff most the time. Most of my holsters are for these guns. Of course the 23 & 19 use the same holster and mag holders. I just bought a SR9C it will be a great CC gun, right now its sharing duties with my 24/7 as a HD gun.

So I think your idea of using the Glock 19 or 23 for CC is a big thumbs up. These are very good guns, Training and practice is key to making them better.
    Last edited by Neko456; January 30th, 2012 at 02:40 PM.

(Blair County)

I carry a full size Gov't 1911 everyday in a Milt Sparks Summer special 2. No printing and all day long comfort.

(Butler County)

I'd go with the Glock. You are already familiar with one. The 19 is a good size for carrying. Get a Glock, a good holster and a butt load of ammo for 950.
    I know it's not on your list but you can't go wrong with a Browning Hi-Power.

(Westmoreland County)

Thumbs up Re: Next purchase. CCW. Help

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    I'd go with the Glock. You are already familiar with one.
    Sounds advice.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    I'd go with the Glock. You are already familiar with one. The 19 is a good size for carrying. Get a Glock, a good holster and a butt load of ammo for 950.
    I know it's not on your list but you can't go wrong with a Browning Hi-Power.
    Quote Originally Posted by TapRackNRoll View Post
    Sounds advice.
    Like the other have said, I'd go with the Glock 19 or 23. You carried a Glock for 10 years why change it? The only other Glock that i would consider that is not on you list would be the Glock 30 or 30SF. I think the Glock 21 SF would still be to big for you.

(Montgomery County)

I just purchased a Walther PPQ (comes in 9mm and .40 S&W) and can't say enough good things about it... If you get a chance, I'd definitely recommend checking one out before making your decision. Although, I don't disagree with anything anyone else has said before me, either...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast