Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Default Re: I'm going to buy a Hi point

Quote Originally Posted by cake0110 View Post
    As for the handgun... ehhhhh. No way. Someone said that "its better than nothing" but I'm not so sure. If you pull a handgun on a would-be evil doer and it malfunctions, you're far more likely to get shot than if you had never pulled the handgun in the first place. And a hi-point handgun is far more likely to malfunction than any other gun on the market. (Well... maybe not Bersa...) Stay away man. For another 50 bucks you can pick up a used Sigma or comparably reliable entry-level handgun.
    Where and when have you seen a Hi-Point pistol fail? I have seen quite a few perform flawlessly at Wicen's. It is a well known fact that they don't usually feed hollowpoints reliably out of the box and the fix is a quick polish to the feed ramp with a dremel tool or 500 rounds of your chosen HP ammo to break in the ramp. No that does not ruin the warranty, Hi-Point will still honor that pretty much reguardless. I would put Hi-Point products amongst the more reliable and accurate firearms you can buy.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Chester County)

Everyone knows of the carbine's reputation. The OP was asking about the handguns, and quite frankly they are crap.
    The Army was the biggest mistake I've ever been proud to make.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by SCBaldr View Post
    I would put Hi-Point products amongst the more reliable and accurate firearms you can buy.
    Again, I wouldn't lump all "Hi-Point products" together like that. The carbines are the best $300 you can spend. As for the handguns... I've seen 3 fail regularly at the range. One belonged to a buddy of mine, it was a bundle of surprised, when you pulled the trigger you had no idea what you were going to get. Could be failure to feed, could be failure to eject, could be light primer strike... you name the malfunction and that gun could pull it off with alarming regularity. He sent it back... 3 times. Then he finally traded it in and used the money to take his girlfriend to dinner. The other 2 I've seen were by strangers at the range. Both were having consistent problems, including a round stuck in the chamber on the one gun that required the range officer to take the weapon off the firing line. That's 3 hi-points I've seen malfunction on the regular at the range... how many hi-points have I spotted at the range? 4 total. So 25% seemed to work okay... don't like those odds.

No need to take my word for it... I could be blowing smoke right? Do a google search on hi-point malfunctions and see what you come up with. There is a lot of hate out there for a reason... look at the love the carbine gets! If the handguns were as reliable as the carbine why wouldn't they have a similar reputation? They would. They don't because they're not anything like the carbines.

Oh, and 500 rounds of JHP to break in a feed ramp?! Hell, you could buy a Glock for what that would cost you... crazy.
    Last edited by cake0110; January 30th, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
    The Army was the biggest mistake I've ever been proud to make.

(Chester County)

I've shot the 40SW and 9mm flavored HP pistols. They both went bang every time and were accurate. I will say that "Its better than nothing."

I would never want to own one unless it was a last resort though... They both felt awkward and cumbersome. But... it is what it is.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Berks County)

I bought a C9 (9mm) a few years ago from Eagle Arms in Breinigsville at a local gun show. They sell for between $160 and $180. Clunky but reliable. I rarely shoot it as I usually prefer my Ruger P95DC. I usally shoot my XD 40 subcompact or S&W 38.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lebanon County)

I own a an HP in .40 SW. Probably have 400 plus rounds through it. Other that "tweaking" the feed lips have had no issues. Fits my hand nicely, hits 9" paper plates at 25 yds. I'll be holding on to mine
    /bug

(Lackawanna County)

I had one of the 380s. I never had any problems with it of any kind and it was accurate enough. All the same, I sold it after about a year. Can't say that I miss it. Sort of ugly and for the size it didn't hold enough rounds. But if you want a gun somewhere that it could get pretty beat up and you don't want to care about it, it might be for you.

(Indiana County)

Neither my C9 pistol nor 995TSRD carbine object to any 9mm ammunition, be it Tula, Winchester White Box, or something more expensive.

Contrary to what some people might say, my C9 is my OC handgun.

(Philadelphia County)

Provided you get a "good" one, it could be a good beater gun - something you have when you're mowing the grass or working on your car. You never know when a "thug attack" will take place, and they seem to happen with annoying regularity in Philly these days. Like someone else said, it's better than nothing. I guess the Hi-Point could be like a nice but ugly girl: she ain't much to look at, but she sure can cook!

Quote Originally Posted by lemko View Post
    Provided you get a "good" one, it could be a good beater gun - something you have when you're mowing the grass or working on your car. You never know when a "thug attack" will take place, and they seem to happen with annoying regularity in Philly these days. Like someone else said, it's better than nothing. I guess the Hi-Point could be like a nice but ugly girl: she ain't much to look at, but she sure can cook!
    That's just about the exact reason I want it. I need a gun I won't be afraid to get dirty. God forbid I get a piece of dirt on my 1911 or Sigs or Glock... I know it sounds dumb but I'd much rather have a beater to carry when I work, hunt and fish and then carry my 1911 or 226 at other times.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast