Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 159 of 159 FirstFirst ... 59109149155156157158159
Results 1,581 to 1,584 of 1584
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Did you go shooting today (Pic thread)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    My advice would be to participate in the game as everyone else is, go fast and play the game. Here are my reasons why:

- it's fun

- competition with others is good for you, don't handicap yourself by drawing from concealment, then you don't know how you're comparing to people who are good at shooting fast and accurately.

- I've been shooting USPSA for over 10 years. I can shoot a handgun accurately and faster than the average gun owner. Big deal. But there are two other things that USPSA can help you learn to do faster.

A - Seeing. Over time I've trained my eyes to see faster. I can see my hits faster. I can move my eyes between targets faster. I can tell where I hit the steel and if it's going to fall, so I can decide to fire another shot or if it is ok to move to the next target. This is probably the hardest thing to maintain. I have to shoot regularly to keep this skill working.

B - Mental processing under stress. This is probably the biggest takeaway from USPSA for anyone. For some people performing in front of a crowd while being timed is incredibly stressful. For others it's less so, but usually everyone feels a little stress. Now, the goal of USPSA is to execute your pre-determined plan as quickly as possible with no mistakes. This requires all the mental processing speed you have. Your plan might go to hell and you have to figure out a solution, fast. As you shoot more USPSA, and push yourself to perform at a higher rate, your mental processing speed will go up. Eventually you learn to tune out the stress of performing in front of a crowd. So now you know how to tune out stress while performing a complex task with a gun and your brain works faster. That is a very valuable skill to pair with having a gun in your hand.

"USPSA will get you killed in the streets" has officially been debunked but the idea still circulates. To people who say that, I ask them if they can only use their self defense skills while standing at the range, flat footed, slow firing into a target. No, we are adaptive creatures. You are smart enough to be able to use a gun laying on your back, or while seated in your car, just like you can pull a gun out and not go into full USPSA game mode. You can go into slow and steady room clearing mode instead.

Thanks - that's great food for thought and allows me some perspective to reconsider!

I certainly agree with the performing in front of a crowd piece. That was something a while back that really helped me on my training journey. I enjoy adding all of the stressors I can to safe training situations.
    F*S=k

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    As long as its not an air compressor powered thompson bb gun with cocked sights, lets go
    Copy the image down and print, it's letter sized.
    Even with a good 22, it's very hard.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    "USPSA will get you killed in the streets" has officially been debunked but the idea still circulates. To people who say that, I ask them if they can only use their self defense skills while standing at the range, flat footed, slow firing into a target. No, we are adaptive creatures. You are smart enough to be able to use a gun laying on your back, or while seated in your car, just like you can pull a gun out and not go into full USPSA game mode. You can go into slow and steady room clearing mode instead.
    Yes and no. If one has gotten the training to do it correctly and knows the difference, then yes. But some don't and they feel that what they do in the matches is "training".

Some things done in matches are very poor "tactically" (for lack of a better word), hanging out from cover to get better angles to shoot the paper cardboard targets that are planted. Rushing to "unload and show clear" at the end of a stage, instead of topping off and scanning for possible further threats, some other things too.

I have shot numerous different gun games over the years (IPSC, IDPA, NRA Action Shooting, Steel Matches, PIN matches, 3-gun matches, PPC matches, Bullseye matches, and some others....) so I do think that shooting matches has benefits, but one must know what is beneficial and what is not, when doing so.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Allegheny County)

I did a hunt rifle day today.
    Tikka T3x. Rem700 7mm Mag, Rem 760 pump and a Rem Nylon 66.
    https://flic.kr/p/2pFWfPb

Leupold had a 30% off deal for a custom scope dial for the VX5HD.

Anyhow the info I needed included the velocity of the Hammer Hunter 160s I run thru the Tikka .300WM.

3255 was the average of the 4 shots. The cold bore fouling shot was a bit off the group but the other 3 were good ( well good for as good as I can see).

The 7mm didn't do well at 200 but the pump..06 did good.

I had not shot the Nylon66 in many years and rather than call for a cease fire to set a 50 yard target fir my 22, I shot the same 100 yd target I used for the .06.

I.was surprised.
    I couldn't see tha damn front sight clearly so I had a blurry rear, a blurry front and a blurry target. I could kinda make out all 3 and was very surprised I hit the target 9 of 10 shots

It was a good day to be out on the sunny but nipply range.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Page 159 of 159 FirstFirst ... 59109149155156157158159