Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 75 of 159 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125 ... LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: Did you go shooting today (Pic thread)

Cold day, cold in the indoor range at the club, but I went anyway. I dug out my Walther/Umarex SP22 M3 .22LR target pistol. It's inhabited the bottom shelf in the safe for quite some time. But since I took the Millett red dot off the 22/45 and it was just sitting there, I decided to mount it on the SP22. I rough sighted it with the bore light, it was pretty close just in moving it over. Looks sufficiently business-like.

This gun shot well for me before I put it away. The iron sights are a little dark and the inexpensive red dot Umarex offered for the gun turned out to be cheap. I've had good luck with Millett so this marriage may be successful.

Fine tuning the Millett went well. The gun seems fine, but I had a lot of misfires, like 10 or 15 out of the 100 rounds I shot. All but one fired eventually. It's Federal Target ammo, not some Bag o' Bullets, and I don't recall having this failure rate running it through my Ruger MKIII. The firing pin indent seems sharp but narrow, and maybe too close to the edge of the rim?

I'll save some Ruger brass for a comparison. And disassemble the SP22 to closely examine the firing pin.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(York County)

Holdover session at the FOP range today:

Post shooting pic with hammers forward and weapons clear (thus the weapons off safe) Had to put that out there because there is always one :/

New reference targets with hold dots added from Monday's 16 degree shoot haaaa:

Last edited by xbmxracerx; January 11th, 2015 at 11:53 PM.

(Pike County)

I went shooting this past Saturday, the average temperature was 15 F and I was the rifle range for 5 hours.

I always take the Colt 6920 and WASR-10 to the range but I also had my newly acquired Ruger 10/22 50th Anniversary Edition and the VZ-2008. I shot the Ruger first which had the Nikon Rimfire 3-9x scope on it:

I got it back from the gunsmith expecting it to be boresighted and easily hitting paper at 25 yards but aiming dead center at a 2x2 foot target I had no hits. The scope needed a lot of calibration to get it on paper, it took me about 40-50 rounds but I got it on paper at 25 yards:

To celebrate my success I popped in a BX-25 magazine and blasted at a target from 25 yards from the standing position:

I then went back to the bench, rested the rifle on the magazine and shot this group at 25 yards:

After that I loaded up a 10 round magazine, went to my sandbags and tried for 50 yards:

I was impressed with the grouping at 50 yards even though the scope is zeroed at 25 yards so I left it, next time I go back I am going to shoot for 100 yards with this rifle. I may have to fine tune the zero a bit more for 100 yards but we will see, this scope has dots for shooting at different distances and I may try to use that. This Nikon Rimfire scope is wonderful but the markings and crosshairs are so fine I am having problems picking them up with my eyes, especially on darker targets. By the way, I do not have issues with my eyes. That's the only thing I do not like about the scope, but when I am getting groups like that I cannot really be upset.

As for the Ruger 10/22 it performed well, especially considering it was going through a break in and it was so cold. I did has some minor issues including 2-3 failures to feed, 2 failures to extract and a stovepipe or two. I put around 100 rounds downrange and after I passed the 50th round shot the rifle had 100% reliability.

Next up was the VZ-2008:

First shots off bags at 25 yards and the rifle was dead on, I could clearly see the big hole carved into the target with the 20 rounds I shot. I cannot find the photo right now though...

Next I went for 50 yards with this rifle:

The top target was shot with the VZ-2008 the bottom with my WASR-10. To say the least I am happy with how the VZ-2008 performed, it was 100% reliable and gave me better groups at 25 and 50 yards compared to my WASR-10. At first when I got the VZ-2008 I found the trigger and action to be heavier than my WASR, I learned from my gunsmith that the action had some minor burr's in it which he polished out for me. After that the trigger pull became really nice and the action was easy to work. The recoil also seems to be less. I don't know if it's the short stroke gas piston or the milled receiver but recoil is more pleasant with this rifle than my WASR-10.

I am glad I took the wire folding stock off for the fixed stock, it probably aided this rifle in being so comfortable to shoot. I shot the my WASR last and guess what happened to me:

It was user error too, not the rifles fault. I emptied a box of 7.62x39 onto the table and loaded a magazine, I had one steel cased 223 round left from when I shot my AR-15. I accidently loaded it into the AK magazine, it chambered and the firing pin struck it when I pulled the trigger. Nothing happened but the action seized up, I had to take the rifle apart and use the cleaning rod to get the round out of the bore. It was stuck in there good. After that I put the rifle back together and shot probably around 60 rounds through it trouble free.

I shot my AR-15 towards the end of my time at the range, I only shot it at 25 yards since I am low on plinking ammo. The rifle was ice cold and extending the stock took more effort than normal, a little oil got on the exterior of the buffer tube and I wonder if that was the cause? Otherwise the rifle was 100% as always.

Even though the conditions were tough (I am glad I had coffee with me) I had fun. The guy next to me was from New Jersey and funny enough he had a real Czechpoint VZ-58 and a Ruger 10/22 breakdown with the same Nikon scope as me, he was introducing new people to the shooting sports. I had a good conversation with him and let him use my 30 round VZ-58 magazines in his rifle. Last time I was there I met another guy from NJ and let him use my P-Mags in his AR-15. You always meet interesting people with cool toys at the range.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Cumberland County)

Just above freezing and daughter wanted to join Dad at the range - so a good morning ! Had 4 new 45's and one new 9 I've been wanting to test and of course, my daughters 22 cal. 1911 that she enjoys. She shot the 45's and 9 too, but always goes back to her 22 - lol. Think I'll upgrade her to a 32 revolver for a while, then onto a 38 which she still is not totally comfortable with the recoil. She can shoot it, but I worry about her ability to set up next shots and accuracy. I would rather her hit her target 10 times dead on for now than struggle with a 9 or 38

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

(York County)

Took my new CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm out to the range a couple of weeks ago.

Here are the results of the days activities. I flinched on the high left flyer. The target was set at 7yds. What a fantastic weapon! I liked it so much I sold my Glock 17 that very same week and ordered a CZ P-01 for carry. I hope to get to the range with it this weekend.

(Dauphin County)

Well, not today, but back on Tuesday. I picked up a C&R pistol at the Lebanon show, a Star Modelo B in 9mm, and took it out for a function test. Shoots pretty high at 50' but it runs very smoothly.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
    I see you are from west Newton...any chance you know the Sczcerba's?
    Nope, I don't know many in the area. I'm a transplant from elsewhere in the county.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    Took my new CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm out to the range a couple of weeks ago.

Here are the results of the days activities. I flinched on the high left flyer. The target was set at 7yds. What a fantastic weapon! I liked it so much I sold my Glock 17 that very same week and ordered a CZ P-01 for carry. I hope to get to the range with it this weekend.

How was York Rifleman's the other day? I haven't been there since before Christmas but we were at the rifle range

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by xbmxracerx View Post
    How was York Rifleman's the other day? I haven't been there since before Christmas but we were at the rifle range
    Just as wonderful as always! Had the pistol range to myself right up until about 15 minutes before I ran out of ammo.

What distances does York Riflemen have for a pistol range?

Are they accepting members? Looking for a place to go in York Co.

Page 75 of 159 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125 ... LastLast