Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default thinking about getting a cz-82

hey guys im thinking about picking up a cz82 never owned one or shot one so any info would be greatly appreciated

(Blair County)

Default Re: thinking about getting a cz-82

They are great little guns. Shoot really good. I bought one when I was in the military in the late 80s. Super accurate, easy to shoot fast, good capacity. Mine was new and had a great finish. The surplus ones I see arent so pretty, but if they shoot as well they are worth it.

Great 9.2x18 handgun. These are photos of my CZ-82. It came from AIM (web page). Each will enlarge if you click on it.

• Note 1: it will appear to be a smoothbore since it has polygonal rifling.
    • Note 2: these pistols are powder coated, not blued. The powder coating will be chipped where the pistol received the mandatory import markings.
    • Note 3:this is still a blowback pistol, similar to the Makarov, PPK and others. The recoil sensation is more noticeable.

Range performance was a very pleasant surprise, to say the least. I paid $220, I strongly suspect these will rise dramatically in value after the last batch runs out like the German Maks.

Uses polygonal rifling.

-- -- -- -- --

Try to get an extra magazine or two with the sale.

FYI, no problems with this but...appears to be a range report from a CZ-82 owner.

Safety Warning - CZ-82/83
    Recently I saw a CZ-82 malfunction at the range, closer inspection revealed that it is almost scary how easily these can malfunction resulting in unexpected fully automatic fire after some wear has occurred. See accompanying picture for understanding.

What happens when you fire the trigger is the slide flies back and engages a pin, this pin pushes down on the sear (identified as the bar in the picture) and forces it rearward preventing it from releasing the hammer until the trigger is released. If for some reason this pin is not quite long enough, the hammer will follow the slide back, resulting in either a discharge or hammer follow without discharge.

Like I said, this was seen at the range and the gun went full auto on a female shooter. Obviously uncommanded fully automatic fire is an extremely dangerous situation. Should your CZ begin to malfunction in this way, I believe replacing the pin below the slide is the ticket to restore it to proper functioning.
    (Source)

Last edited by PA Rifleman; January 29th, 2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: typos
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Cumberland County)

Just got back from range with mine, and was thinking about giving another "love this gun" post - but I had done that before, so was debating. Saw your post though, perfect timing !
    The CZ82 is an incredible gun, if anyone does not own one, I would grab one. The polygonal barrel is unbelievable accurate. I have yet to have any kind of ftf or fte. I bought mine from CDNN in very good condition but then made it a project gun and sent it to mahovsky's for their metalife finish and then had some grips made by Marschal grips. You wont be disappointed with it ! Here's a pic of mine when I got it, then after I tricked it out a bit. Good luck!

Last edited by cruzans; January 29th, 2012 at 07:53 PM.

Was carrying mine while out and about today. It's rugged , accurate and reliable. And there's some good ammo coming out in 9mm Mak. Holsters are a problem with that odd triggerguard , but I tried a Bianchi 19L made for a Beretta 84 out of the $5 bargain bin and it's perfect.

I added a Hy-Viz front to mine.

I keep saying I'm gonna refinish mine , but it spends most of it's time in my truck.
    Last edited by abner13; January 31st, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Cumberland County)

I like the hy-viz sites, going to have to consider them ! Glad I'm not the only one searching through holster bargain bins - found a great holster for my CZ for $5 too. It's a Sarac #4 and fits nicely.

(Cumberland County)

Also, if you don't have it already, make sure to get your C&R license first. You can then have your CZ shipped directly to you, and the savings on ffl costs will pay for the small amount you paid for the license! Then, you can shop for C&R and have them shipped to your house and not pay any ffl's - caution, it can be dangerous to have - easier to buy nice stuff

(Mercer County)

I really like mine a lot, especially since I reload for it. I use trimmed 9mm Luger cases fire formed, and topped with 93 grain cast or 95 grain Hornady XTP HP bullets. Also use some Starline cases too. It's scary accurate with either bullet, the XTPs expand very well, and since it has a pretty decent allowable SAAMI max avg pressure, getting these bullets crossing the screens @1100 fps is not a problem, with a bit more room to spare if you like and can do so. I chronographed some Fiocchi 95 grain factory, and it was super wimpy; only 919 fps.

Mine is very reliable, and has never suffered any mechanical issues at all. Just a suggestion, if you get it, make sure to buy a replacement Wolff recoil spring; I like the #16 one myself. These pistols feel great with great ergos, very good sights, are all steel, cocked and locked if you like, DA/SA, and REAL army surplus with neat markings, and cold war history behind them. Can hardly think of a better value for a top quality, modern pistol today, and they are C&R eligible if that matters. Jesus, just one

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns N'at View Post
    I really like mine a lot, especially since I reload for it. I use trimmed 9mm Luger cases fire formed, and topped with 93 grain cast or 95 grain Hornady XTP HP bullets. Also use some Starline cases too. It's scary accurate with either bullet, the XTPs expand very well, and since it has a pretty decent allowable SAAMI max avg pressure, getting these bullets crossing the screens @1100 fps is not a problem, with a bit more room to spare if you like and can do so. I chronographed some Fiocchi 95 grain factory, and it was super wimpy; only 919 fps.

Mine is very reliable, and has never suffered any mechanical issues at all. Just a suggestion, if you get it, make sure to buy a replacement Wolff recoil spring; I like the #16 one myself. These pistols feel great with great ergos, very good sights, are all steel, cocked and locked if you like, DA/SA, and REAL army surplus with neat markings, and cold war history behind them. Can hardly think of a better value for a top quality, modern pistol today, and they are C&R eligible if that matters. Jesus, just one
    I did the same thing, put a 16# in. The factory 14.5# is ok, and I found the 18 pound to be too much, tough to release the slide with one hand! 16# is just right ! Wish you were closer, would love to try some of your reloads!

(York County)

Still without a doubt, the best deal on the surplus arms market today!

I got two, one for CC and the other for the night stand. I also use Hornady XTPs, but I'm still waiting for 9x18mm Critical Defense to hit store shelves (Hornady announced they were making it last year).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast