Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Positive cc encounter

Yesterday was my brothers 18th bday "party". It was more so a gather of family and food. My brother had a couple friends over and we were in the basement bs'ing.

Brother: So why are selling your xd9?
    me: I'm considering it, not sure if i'm going to yet.
    Brother: Oh, if i was old enough i'd buy it.
    Friend: What's and xd9?
    Me: Springfield Armory xd9 sub compact.
    Friend: Oh......What's it look like.

At this point i unholster it keeping my finger away from the trigger

Friend: Oh shit, you had it on you.
    Me: Yup, never leave the house without it.
    Friend: Is it heavy?
    Me: It's got some weight to it.

He slowly reaches for it to see for himself but i wouldn't let him hold it.

Me: Now its loaded and chambered.
    Friend: Oh, why do you have it chambered?
    Me: What good is it if you carry a gun for self defense if it's not ready to use?
    Friend: True
    Brother: You should see his AR15

I reholstered the gun and continued bs'ing

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Positive cc encounter

Ehh...not a fan of unholstering in social situations, although I've done it before. It's usually only if I plan on immediately unloading, racking and locking it before showing it off, lol.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    Brother: Oh, if i was old enough i'd buy it.
    Friend: What's and xd9?
    Me: Springfield Armory xd9 sub compact.
    Friend: Oh......What's it look like.
    "Like a black plastic handgun. Anyway, how about those (insert favorite alternate topic here)."

/conversation about my carry habits or lack thereof. Until I can speak to little brother privately, to tell him to STFU about that shit around other people.

At least that's how I have handled both instances where someone who knows I carry put my business out there for all ears to hear. In both instances, I made it abundantly clear how displeased I was after the fact.

I'm not trying to come off as a dick; I just see zero benefit in anyone unnecessarily knowing when, what, how I carry, as well as what else I might or might not own...

OMO (tinfoil hat back on)

Regards,

Bones

(Allegheny County)

When I read the title all I could think of was that if you are CC and had an "encounter" like the OC guys have, you must be doing it wrong. But I see now you volunteered for your firearm to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Ehh...not a fan of unholstering in social situations, although I've done it before. It's usually only if I plan on immediately unloading, racking and locking it before showing it off, lol.
    My carry firearm comes out of the holster for three reasons, to shoot, to clean, and dry fire practice. All of these in occur a controlled environment around only people I know and trust, the exception would be in a defensive situation. If someone wants to see it they can become my friend, gain my trust, and join me in one of these three activities.

For dry fire and cleaning, I do immediately unload, unchamber and do a safety check. Ammo is kept is a separate room.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    I'm not trying to come off as a dick; I just see zero benefit in anyone unnecessarily knowing when, what, how I carry, as well as what else I might or might not own...
    I feel the same way. I only tell those very close to me that I do. But in this instance the OP offered to show the firearm when he could have just explained what it looked like or told him to look it up online.

Friend: Oh shit, you had it on you.
    I don't think the friend though he was going to see it and just wanted a description.
    Last edited by QuackXP; January 29th, 2012 at 02:39 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    agree whole heartily.

I run across people that never held or seen a handgun up close and personable, I will always allow them to see my handgun under the right conditions and circumstances. I always unload and lock the slide open, then I put round in mag and then mag in my pocket. I just think it's good to show people that it's not the firearm that's evil..

It's just good pr.
    If You Need A Color In The Name Of Your Cause, You're The "RACIST" !

^^^^^ Turn it into a safe learning experience.

(Bucks County)

Ehhh I could rant here, but ill just side politely with what others have said...

Only a few reasons a gun should be unholstered and showing it off is not one of them...thats when bad things go wrong..

Take it as a learning experience, and move on...I would also have a talk to your brother about mentioning stuff like that around people you may not know, or maybe his so called friends..

There is a reason you conceal carry right?

(Northampton County)

I agree. I don't think there has to be one hard and fast rule about what is right and wrong with three friends at home in private. If you don't want people to know you carry, that's fine.* If these are the wrong people or this is the wrong situation to unholster a firearm, that's fine, too. If you never want to unholster a firearm, fine.

But in this situation, some good may have even been done. If somebody is curious about firearms, well, seeing is believing and it makes a bigger impression. This encounter might spawn a new Second Amendment enthusiast.

*Although I do agree that other people shouldn't be volunteering that info for you.

(Allegheny County)

Yesterday was my brothers 18th bday "party". It was more so a gather of family and food. My brother had a couple friends over and we were in the basement bs'ing.

At 18 he could buy it from you.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I agree. I don't think there has to be one hard and fast rule about what is right and wrong with three friends at home in private. If you don't want people to know you carry, that's fine.* If these are the wrong people or this is the wrong situation to unholster a firearm, that's fine, too. If you never want to unholster a firearm, fine.

But in this situation, some good may have even been done. If somebody is curious about firearms, well, seeing is believing and it makes a bigger impression. This encounter might spawn a new Second Amendment enthusiast.

*Although I do agree that other people shouldn't be volunteering that info for you.

I would have to say I would have to mostly agree with your stance!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast