Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default question about passenger carry in a car

I did a forum search and went through a few pages but could not find and answer to this so I thought I would put this out there.

My friend and I go shooting every other weekend and have our ltcf's so I know we are legal. We often times invite friends to go shooting with us who have guns but do not (for whatever reason) have their ltcf. Does anyone know what the law says in regard to their carrying in the car with us. Some specific scenarios:

1. Since both me and my friend have our ltcf, can also others also carry in the car?

2. Do they have to separate their gun and ammo while in the car?

3. If they are not allowed to carry in the car, do we still have to drive from point a to point b or can we stop for a bite to eat since me and my friend have our ltcf and it is normally one our our cars that we take.

4. Can we just hold onto our friends guns while in the car without separating the ammo and gun?

Man gun laws are needlessly complicated.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer this.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: question about passenger carry in a car

The laws that apply to me don't get erased cause I enter a car with you.
    They would have to unload their firearms and go from a to b.

Technically... You could "loan" a person with a LTCF your firearm, but in this scenario it would obviously be an attempt to circumvent the law.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I did a forum search and went through a few pages but could not find and answer to this so I thought I would put this out there.

My friend and I go shooting every other weekend and have our ltcf's so I know we are legal. We often times invite friends to go shooting with us who have guns but do not (for whatever reason) have their ltcf. Does anyone know what the law says in regard to their carrying in the car with us. Some specific scenarios:

1. Since both me and my friend have our ltcf, can also others also carry in the car?

3. If they are not allowed to carry in the car, do we still have to drive from point a to point b or can we stop for a bite to eat since me and my friend have our ltcf and it is normally one our our cars that we take.

4. Can we just hold onto our friends guns while in the car without separating the ammo and gun?

Man gun laws are needlessly complicated.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer this.
    In reply to your questions:

1. NO
    2. YES
    3. YES, they can only go from a to b.
    4. Technically...maybe... I don't know. I would think that intent would have some bearing on this.

My advice to you and your friends is to not even tempt fate. They should all get their LTCFs and then none of your questions matter.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    In reply to your questions:

1. NO (You can carry a firearm in a vehicle, "concealed or openly", without a LTCF, just needs to be unloaded) and meeting an exception like range travel
    2. YES (Ammo doesn't have to be separate, just loaded mags in a separate container or pocket of same bag. Loose ammo can be with firearm)
    4. Technically...maybe... I don't know. I would think that intent would have some bearing on this.

My advice to you and your friends is to not even tempt fate. They should all get their LTCFs and then none of your questions matter.
    Mine in red

"concealed or openly" in quotes because ""concealed or openly" doesn't exist in a vehicle by law... it is simply carry
    Last edited by BimmerJon; January 28th, 2012 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    The laws that apply to me don't get erased cause I enter a car with you.
    Makes sense.

They would have to unload their firearms and go from a to b.

That is the answer I was wondering about, thanks.

Technically... You could "loan" a person with a LTCF your firearm, but in this scenario it would obviously be an attempt to circumvent the law.
    Interesting, I try to know as much about gun laws as I can, but still have a lot to learn, thanks.

(Delaware County)

Interesting, I try to know as much about gun laws as I can, but still have a lot to learn, thanks.
    Read this completely at least 4 times front to back.

Then come back with any questions or need for clarification

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/

Welcome by the way

[QUOTE=PisnNapalm;1878330]In reply to your questions:

1. NO
    2. YES

Thanks.

My advice to you and your friends is to not even tempt fate. They should all get their LTCFs and then none of your questions matter.[/QUOTE

Agreed, we go with different people all the time as they express interest in shooting. A lot of people know next to nothing about pa gun laws or even how to go about getting a ltcf. I am still learning but We try to spread the word and knowledge we have when ever we take someone to the club. The rest is up to them.
    Last edited by internet troll; January 28th, 2012 at 10:06 PM.

Unhappy Re: question about passenger carry in a car

Welcome by the way

I will, thanks for the welcome.

Welcome by the way

I have been lurking for awhile and have looked that over quite a few times using as reference for a few discussions with friends. Very useful. Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Agreed, we go with different people all the time as they express interest in shooting. A lot of people know next to nothing about pa gun laws or even how to go about getting a ltcf. I am still learning but We try to spread the word and knowledge we have when ever we take someone to the club. The rest is up to them.
    Do they all own firearms? If they are just going with you to shoot your firearms. I see no reason why the transportation laws would limit you where LTCF holders take their firearms with non LTCF holders going with them.

If the people you are going with are firearms owners I would strongly suggest to them getting a LTCF. It's not very hard and you can help them. Or tell them to follow you to the range and that they have to go straight home until they get their LTCF.

Now I understand some people might not want to get one as a political statement because constitutional carry would be ideal or just don't like giving out personal information and being in another database. But if you want to make things the easiest in our current political climate a LTCF is the best way to go.
    Last edited by QuackXP; January 28th, 2012 at 10:29 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast